Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Jenesiis
Jan Member 2018

Jenesiis

Posts: 1,200 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
Heh! I'm no way posh enough to inhabit a chateau :D It was just a big ole farmhouse that we bought cheap and needed renovating.

You're right about the eco bit - I read recently that France is banning (some time soon) the sale/installation of any more oil fired boilers.

I wonder what people will do .... we were located in the arse end of nowhere with no mains gas supply for miles and a very erratic electricity supply. France is surprisingly (to me) large and many, many properties were of that nature.

Perhaps the City French think the Country paysans can return to the old days and keep warm and cook by utilising their oversized fireplaces. Our kitchen fireplace did actually have the original arm & hook in situ for cauldron cooking.
That sounds really idyllic, it must have been wonderful to live there.
I wonder what alternative there will be then to fuel the boilers. Even if they are run on electricity if you do not have an adequate supply then you would need a generator and then you are back to square one.

22-Feb-2020 12:28:39

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indeed it sounds idyllic but in reality it was quite challenging and worrisome. One time there was a tremendous snowstorm, power out, phone line down (no mobile masts back then!) and I was snowed in for 3 days until a local farmer remembered I was there and cleared a path to the nearest road with his tractor :(

Why, I wonder now, did it seem like a fantastic and fun idea to move to a another country on my own, with poor language skills and a shoestring budget, Midlife crisis perhaps. But it all turned out for the best, in the end.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

22-Feb-2020 18:33:43

Jenesiis
Jan Member 2018

Jenesiis

Posts: 1,200 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
Indeed it sounds idyllic but in reality it was quite challenging and worrisome. One time there was a tremendous snowstorm, power out, phone line down (no mobile masts back then!) and I was snowed in for 3 days until a local farmer remembered I was there and cleared a path to the nearest road with his tractor :(

Why, I wonder now, did it seem like a fantastic and fun idea to move to a another country on my own, with poor language skills and a shoestring budget, Midlife crisis perhaps. But it all turned out for the best, in the end.
Respect for you on that. Don`t know if I would have the nerve to do it, in fact I know I wouldn`t, but glad it all ended up well.

23-Feb-2020 10:20:39

Archaeox
Dec Member 2011

Archaeox

Posts: 53,399 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sal VJ said :
Travelling is stressful for me.

I know a lot of people who feel that way (including my wife!), but for me travelling - especially by coach or train - is actually relaxing...
~~~~ Just another victim of the ambient morality ~~~~

~~ Founder of the Caped Carousers quest cape clan ~~

!! Slava Ukraini - heroyam slava !!

23-Feb-2020 13:52:10

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I used to love travelling, even when the arrangements fell apart it was all part of the fun for me.
These days I am a bit of a dull homebody who views a weekend in Wales as a great adventure.
I think it's probably because I am old now and cba with it any more.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

24-Feb-2020 02:28:02

Rooh
Jan
fmod Member

Rooh

Forum Moderator Posts: 40,589 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Still got 36 hours on my dxp clock, a lot of the time is waiting for various trees to grow.
Luckily I've got herby to train while waiting.
Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

24-Feb-2020 12:48:04

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top