Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Aye, it's a wretched feeling. Fortunately not one I've had for some time.

My remedy used to be to sit in a hot bath and run some of the water out, then fill it back up with water as hot as I could stand (red skin!) and wallow up to my neck. Followed by fluffy jimjams and a couple of hot water bottles.

I'm scuppered now though - when we had the bathroom refitted we did away with the bath in favour of a big walk-in shower space .... thought as I'm an oldie now it'd be more sensible as geriatrics have trouble getting in/out of baths, apparently.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

20-Feb-2020 16:14:37

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I might go do that lol.

And eventually we are just going to have two bathrooms - one with a Victorian style bathtub and one with a huge walk in shower. Right now we just have a combination bathing area because that is what came with the house. We plan on ripping it down to the studs when we pay it off in 5 years and remodel the whole dang thing lol.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

20-Feb-2020 17:57:07

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

You're welcome :)

Ahhh, I'd really like to have two bathrooms again, one for a tub and one for a shower. But there's not the scope for it here since we down-sized unless we get an extension built and for just the two of us I can't reconcile myself with the enormous expense. Not to mention the noise, mess and general mayhem.
Le Chat Guerrier

20-Feb-2020 22:27:55

Jenesiis
Jan Member 2018

Jenesiis

Posts: 1,200 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
You're welcome :)

Ahhh, I'd really like to have two bathrooms again, one for a tub and one for a shower. But there's not the scope for it here since we down-sized unless we get an extension built and for just the two of us I can't reconcile myself with the enormous expense. Not to mention the noise, mess and general mayhem.

We did up our bathroom about eighteen months ago and put a huge new bath in, and I haven`t used it since, so a bit of a waste. Trouble is we should also have put in a much larger water tank as there is never enough hot water to really fill it adequately. So have a nice hot shower instead.

21-Feb-2020 12:32:31

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

We've got a combi boiler, so blissful endless hot water. We've had homes though with tanks and I well remember the cries of "Who's used all the bloody hot water??!!"

The worst was in France where the boiler was so huge it had it's own room. I kid you not, it had a little room attached to the back porch, the beast was about 5 ft tall and 4 ft deep. Horribly inefficient, monstrously expensive to run with oil and completely incapable of delivering sufficient hot water to fill a modest bath. The storage tank for the oil was so big it had to be sited in the barn.
Le Chat Guerrier

21-Feb-2020 16:10:03

Jenesiis
Jan Member 2018

Jenesiis

Posts: 1,200 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
We've got a combi boiler, so blissful endless hot water. We've had homes though with tanks and I well remember the cries of "Who's used all the bloody hot water??!!"

The worst was in France where the boiler was so huge it had it's own room. I kid you not, it had a little room attached to the back porch, the beast was about 5 ft tall and 4 ft deep. Horribly inefficient, monstrously expensive to run with oil and completely incapable of delivering sufficient hot water to fill a modest bath. The storage tank for the oil was so big it had to be sited in the barn.

Oh my. That sounds rather huge, I think you must have been living in a chateau Fifi. Not terribly eco friendly either I would imagine.

22-Feb-2020 05:08:41

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Heh! I'm no way posh enough to inhabit a chateau :D It was just a big ole farmhouse that we bought cheap and needed renovating.

You're right about the eco bit - I read recently that France is banning (some time soon) the sale/installation of any more oil fired boilers.

I wonder what people will do .... we were located in the arse end of nowhere with no mains gas supply for miles and a very erratic electricity supply. France is surprisingly (to me) large and many, many properties were of that nature.

Perhaps the City French think the Country paysans can return to the old days and keep warm and cook by utilising their oversized fireplaces. Our kitchen fireplace did actually have the original arm & hook in situ for cauldron cooking.
Le Chat Guerrier

22-Feb-2020 11:46:07

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top