Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
In the UK currently there seems to be a glut of young people with Degrees but no jobs that want their type of Degree.

What I'd personally call the 'core' subjects like Mathematics, Engineering and the like are still in demand but job prospects for people who have chosen subjects such as Performing Arts (like my friend's daughter) are thin on the ground. She's currently working checkout in a Supermarket. A lot of the young people I know got Degrees in .... weird stuff.

Meanwhile, it's a struggle to find a competent tradesperson here and none of the electricians, boiler engineers, carpenters, general builders and so on that I've employed over the last 10 years or more were under the age of 50.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

06-Jan-2020 01:09:24

Molly Weazly
Jul Member 2008

Molly Weazly

Posts: 4,686 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CM Nick said :
Inspire you said :
If you're aged 18 - 45, there has never been a better time like the present to get yourself enrolled into a University.

I don't know about that, tuition rates are sky high in Canada these days, and the job market - especially as someone who just has a Bachelor's degree - is pretty slim. If anything I'd urge people to go into the trades!

My daughter's SO has 2 degrees and can't find a job so... yeah.

Edit: Let me just add her SO has a degree in Engineering and a degree in Software Engineering.

She herself has a BS in SE but has had trouble finding a job in her field.

But that said, most probably you're better off with the degree even with the massive mound of debt. Because employers can use the no degree against you even if you're brilliant.

06-Jan-2020 04:36:28 - Last edited on 06-Jan-2020 04:49:31 by Molly Weazly

The contents of this message have been hidden.

06-Jan-2020 19:25:18

The contents of this message have been hidden.

06-Jan-2020 19:25:26

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ugh - I've got that thing going on where the muscle just under your eye keeps twitching and contracting for no apparent reason. It's been going on for about 10 minutes now and is most disconcerting.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

07-Jan-2020 15:53:05

Rooh
Jan
fmod Member

Rooh

Forum Moderator Posts: 40,589 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
Ugh - I've got that thing going on where the muscle just under your eye keeps twitching and contracting for no apparent reason. It's been going on for about 10 minutes now and is most disconcerting.

Eep! I get that (very) occasionally, it's so annoying.
Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

07-Jan-2020 17:19:01

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have that problem too and I feel the whole world can see my twitching eye - apparently, they can't. Not sure what causes it. I have stages where it happens regularly then it stops for a while.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

07-Jan-2020 17:25:42

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top