Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Ancient Drew

Ancient Drew

Posts: 5,732 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I find the idea of agnosticism as a belief having to prove God's existence as a fact to be contradictory, but I won't say anything else. If anything, theism and atheism are more based around proof.

In any case, I've got work and will be back about 3.30pm or so in my time. I won't complain or anything, and I'll be calm.
Prepare for hell on RuneScape in Naval Cataclysm!

Pokemon battle? Friend Code: 4614-0426-2439

27-Jul-2017 06:37:00 - Last edited on 27-Jul-2017 06:42:25 by Ancient Drew

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Posts: 24,511 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Raleirosen said :
Team Skull said :
This one, right here, basically painting the entire religion of Islam and its practitioners as barbaric?
Look up "generalization" in the dictionary. Not to mention I did cover the entire spectrum of Muslims in that thread.

I usually respect the intelligence and good will of other people enough to not include a "not all" in everything I say, but with individuals like you I guess it's necessary to lower the bar. So here you go: Islam is bad enough to be generalized as barbaric, but not all Muslims are barbarians.

I mean, the people who actually have a modicum of intelligence shouldn't feel mandated to make generalizations in order to produce a cogent argument, now should they? I feel like you're projecting here.

However, if you want to play the petty insult game with that remark: At least I'm not brainwashed hook, line, and sinker by some dude who gets off on his own farts in a podcast and has no world experience outside the cloistered realm of academia c:
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

27-Jul-2017 07:24:26 - Last edited on 27-Jul-2017 07:36:00 by Team Skull

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Ancient Drew said :
I wasn't saying that to smear you. But that's exactly what it feels like. Sorry for what I said, but I snapped. And now I'm trying to calm down in case I'm about to snap again. So please, whatever insults you want to throw at me, please spare me. I'm close to going insane as it is. You might want that from me, but I don't. OK?

Why are you apologizing? She's an insufferable dick to anyone who shows even an iota of disagreement with her green as hell viewpoints that she pulls from whatever podcast she happened to listen to that day (and the sheer fact she tried to use a publication from an EXTREMIST group and assert it to the populace is the purest strain of human idiocy, no less). She does not deserve even the slightest amount of respect that'd warrant an apology, knowing this.
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

27-Jul-2017 07:26:47 - Last edited on 27-Jul-2017 07:43:09 by Team Skull

Raleirosen

Raleirosen

Posts: 5,069 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Awesome041 said :
There may be some degree of freedom for some to practice some of the time, and I understand there are practical and legal issues, but if there are limits, it is not absolute, is it? (This is with respect to religion, but I suppose the limit abstraction could be applied to freedom in general.)
Pretty much, yes. If freedom were absolute then nobody would be free, since people would be free to enslave others, etc.
Awesome041 said :
On a different topic, maybe I am too harsh? Do you think I am too harsh on others or myself from what you know of me?
If you're asking me, I haven't seen you say anything that could be categorized as harsh.
Ancient Drew said :
I find the idea of agnosticism as a belief having to prove God's existence as a fact to be contradictory, but I won't say anything else. If anything, theism and atheism are more based around proof.
I think you're still missing my point; both atheism and theism fall under the umbrella of agnosticism (or its opposite, gnosticism).
Patrolling Lore FC almost makes you wish for a Great Revision.

27-Jul-2017 09:03:07 - Last edited on 27-Jul-2017 09:20:04 by Raleirosen

Raleirosen

Raleirosen

Team Skull said :
I mean, the people who actually have a modicum of intelligence shouldn't feel mandated to make generalizations in order to produce a cogent argument, now should they? I feel like you're projecting here.
Well, perhaps I'm the fool for expecting an autist to be able to grasp the usefulness of accurate generalizations.
Team Skull said :
Why are you apologizing? She's an insufferable dick to anyone who shows even an iota of disagreement with her green as hell viewpoints that she pulls from whatever podcast she happened to listen to that day (and the sheer fact she tried to use a publication from an EXTREMIST group and assert it to the populace is the purest strain of human idiocy, no less). She does not deserve even the slightest amount of respect that'd warrant an apology, knowing this.
A dumpster fire in text form.
Patrolling Lore FC almost makes you wish for a Great Revision.

27-Jul-2017 09:10:47 - Last edited on 27-Jul-2017 09:12:45 by Raleirosen

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Raleirosen said :
Team Skull said :
Well, perhaps I'm the fool for expecting an autist to be able to grasp the usefulness of accurate generalizations.

What data do you have to show it's an accurate generalization? Because all I see from your side are anecdotes from extremist organizations, which, by that logic, I could use Mao Zedong's, Pol Pot's, Stalin's, Deng Xiaoping's, Kim Jong Il's, etc texts to justify that atheists (or the dodge known as Anti-theism, as you like to put it) is an excessively combative dogma and needs to be reformed to civilized standards.

You're not exactly helping your case here- just sayin'.

27-Jul-2017 10:39:08

Raleirosen

Raleirosen

Do you really expect anyone to waste their time discussing anything remotely substantive with you, knowing that you're practically the most disingenuous bad faith actor in Off Topic? Patrolling Lore FC almost makes you wish for a Great Revision.

27-Jul-2017 11:00:20 - Last edited on 27-Jul-2017 11:09:25 by Raleirosen

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

You're actually being serious? Oh, I'm sorry- I thought this was all just a game.

Would you actually like me to be serious now?

27-Jul-2017 12:01:20

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top