Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,047 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So who likes to watch birds?

Latest Sightings?

Photography?

Feed birds at Home?

Well I enjoy watching the birds at home and when I get time I try to visit places to see other birds I've done plenty of volunteering for the RSPB so that helped with a lot of waders. For best view I'd have to go for a Bittern and her young.

With winter coming up if you have the time you can make your own bird food from lard and seed fairly cheap or if you have the money buy some food (fat balls are cheap 50 for around £10 just hang em up take off the string if they have one on and see what you get visiting it's good for the birds and yourself.

Melt down the lard/suet stir in seeds raisins nuts oats etc. shape it into balls let it cool and your done it's fun to get your hands messy so off you go.

If you want more info on feeding birds the RSPB has an excellent pages on what is suitable and what isn't.

26-Nov-2012 22:40:02 - Last edited on 05-Jun-2017 20:13:01 by Wilf

The contents of this message have been hidden.

26-Nov-2012 23:21:47

The contents of this message have been hidden.

27-Nov-2012 00:04:09

Allton

Allton

Posts: 10,733 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hooray, another bird enthusiast!
My favourite experience of bird watching experience came from seeing a pheasant in the yard. They usually nest in the moors, so it was a pleasant and unexpected site. I fed it some bread and did*’t expect to meet the beautiful creature again. How wrong I was…
The pheasant kept appearing every few days and hackling in the yard until I brought food out. Clever, obnoxious creature! He even stood on the window sill on the second floor and pecked at the window! It’s been months since I last saw him, but it was wonderful while it lasted.
My admiration for birds came from an earlier age when three ducklings stumbled into our yard ( we attract a lot of creatures due to the nearby loch). The mother duck was walking along the main road with a bunch of ducklings… Sad thing is, we have a lot of cats around too. One stray duckling was taken away before I got out and took the other two rogues back to their mother. The local loch volunteers turned up to take them all back, so at least more causalities were avoided.
- HUSKEH!
OSRS

27-Nov-2012 00:12:42

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Nice we've got plenty of pheasants around here, they are a beautiful looking bird that is often overlooked.

So on that basis you'll just ignore it rather than move it after I've been posting on here for how many days about the same thing.

In my mind they have done wrong. Anybody who uses the forum will know that misplaced threads are moved when seen and considering that has been posted on by 8 different fmods not to mention it being in one of the sections where they are on the lookout for misplaced threads due to it being known as a place where they get posted a lot. They can hide behind being volunteers but that's only because you allow it as far as I'm concerned

27-Nov-2012 00:20:08 - Last edited on 05-Jun-2017 20:14:11 by Wilf

Daily Dipper
Apr Member 2022

Daily Dipper

Posts: 572 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Many people wouldn't think of hunters as bird watchers but while hunting you are exposed to all sorts of birds/other animals you wouldn't normally see.
During the fall earlier this year I was turkey hunting and actually saw 2 eagles hunt and kill a small turkey! :0 Later that hunt I was using my turkey call and called in a coyote to 4ft in front of me (he didn't smell me because I was downwind of him). I ended up tapping him with the tip of my shotgun and spooked him, then he ran down the bluff and spooked 20ish turkey right on me and I shot a decent sized hen. :)

27-Nov-2012 00:53:06

Nixons Jowls

Nixons Jowls

Posts: 19,425 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm not a bird watcher, but I am a bird listener, in a sense. There's a 20th century French composer, Olivier Messiaen, who was obsessed with birds. So he wrote pieces, most for piano and some for small orchestra, literally writing down the bird calls and birdsong that he observed. If you have any interest in hearing some of it, look up his Catalogue d'Oisea** on Youtube

27-Nov-2012 00:57:43

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

1 Ow the bug got me
Bittern

2 shoot from a concealed place
Snipe

3 Zombie J mod
Crow

4 What burglars say when asked what they are doing.
Robin

5 in the night sky but with a lucky gypsy product to finish its name
Starling

6 can write with this bird as well as get corn off it
Swan (pen and cob are male and female swans)

7 J mod inclined to world domination
Raven

8 What a small person has when feeling a bit dizzy
Little Tern

9 a spitting bird of prey
Goshawk

10 eggs cooked in water a little too long
Pochard

11 you might feel this in the morning after a good night out
Ruff

12 JAWS with of feeling remorse
Great White Egret