Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yep.

Visible migration, you find a vantage point preferably one where you have some sort of natural funnel. I just go to the top of a hill which is a good view of the surrounding area.

My eyepiece arrived today though so I spent most of the day playing around digiscoping instead :)

Plus fairly overcast so wouldn't be able to see much.

13-Sep-2014 19:57:50

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Not really, they are the ones who'd travel from one end of the country to the other in the hopes of seeing a new bird. We call them twitchers.

13-Sep-2014 20:55:15 - Last edited on 13-Sep-2014 20:55:38 by Wilf

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

Posts: 6,634 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It was interesting to see a flock of blue jays gathered together to migrate. They settled in a few nearby Redbud trees they used as pit stop on their journey north. I snapped a few pictures of them for my collection of bird photos.
WHERE IS MY INGAME RSOF TITLE?!

16-Sep-2014 14:03:55

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Do you not use google :P

Here are some other terms, I just copied this from Bill Oddies little black bird book, which is a nice little read in itself.

Dip out: Fail to see the bird you wanted to see.

For instance I went to look for a Wood Sandpiper a while back and didn't see it, ergo I dipped.

Gripped off: you don't see it but somebody else does.

Some other people saw the Wood sand after I'd been ego I was gripped off (sounds exciting doesn't it ;)

Duff gen: false info pretty much. Somebody might tell you a bird is on a certain pond and when you go noting is there apart from a few mallard

String: Somebody sees something and then uses various features to support the claim despite being false. For instance somebody was iding a curlew as a snipe and using the features to back it up despite the Curle being the largest european wader and a snipe faily small. Usually involves rare bird somebody reports.

Somebody was telling people that a ruff was the pectoral sandpiper and even me having never seen a pectoral sandpiper knew it was a ruff he was pointing out to people... after about 20mins he changed his mind and decided that it was infact a ruff...

Dude: a bird watcher who isn't as obsessed or knows all the birds likes to go out when it is warm and stay inside when it is cold/wet ( a bit like me :P ) can be used as an insult amongst birders, lol.

16-Sep-2014 18:47:43

Ins Wand 1s

Ins Wand 1s

Posts: 637 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wilf said :

Dude: a bird watcher who isn't as obsessed or knows all the birds likes to go out when it is warm and stay inside when it is cold/wet ( a bit like me :P ) can be used as an insult amongst birders, lol.

So if there was a birdwatcher who was a stoner...

"Yo dude wassup" "you ******* wat mate I went out when it ****** it down last night".

16-Sep-2014 21:01:16

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Windsofnight said :
It was interesting to see a flock of blue jays gathered together to migrate. They settled in a few nearby Redbud trees they used as pit stop on their journey north. I snapped a few pictures of them for my collection of bird photos.

Good stuff! Hope the photo was reasonable.

16-Sep-2014 21:36:26

Tsun-Chan

Tsun-Chan

Posts: 3,682 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ins Wand 1s said :
Wilf said :

So if there was a birdwatcher who was a stoner...

"Yo dude wassup" "you ******* wat mate I went out when it ****** it down last night".

Lm***.

That should totally be on a comedy sketch show, I would laugh 10/10.

No seriously though, of all the things to use as an insult they use a popular greeting?

What... Why not just say Casual Birdy tbh...

17-Sep-2014 15:48:56

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top