Forums

~Skilling Bosses~

Quick find code: 185-186-470-66243030

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Posts: 9,169 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
5 You lose your restores used at croesus for wiping without compensation. You miss out on experience for failing either one, which will cut in your experience rates per hour. I mean they probably could do dangerous death, but considering skillers do not have much of value at them, they'll just lose even more time.

Generally for your thoughts at croesus:

Ever since I saw wintertodt in OS I felt like skilling bosses are more like the evolution of minigames. Utilizing some of their mechanics, while incorporating them into general purpose skilling and more special boss mechanics. Safe death isn't a feature I would necessarily bring up with minigames - while most are safe deaths (or do not even have a death scenario), there certainly are ones, which cause you to drop your stuff if you die.

- I do agree it could be more varied, but most newer bosses do follow a fixed attack rotation. That's a general issue, not one related to croesus.
- Croesus scales with your contribution - similiar to skilling bosses in OS. Do nothing, get nothing - do not much, get not much.
- See 5
- Literally the same as for other skilling content - (double) surge and bladed dive was extremely helpful for archaeology or BGH as well. Once again - your fault for not getting them - I do not want to see Jagex to restrict that to keep cb 3s happy, while messing it up for literally anybody else. I mean - Jagex literally even allowed BD to be used with most skilling tools and off-hands. , which per definition shouldn't qualify for the requirements of said ability.
- See 4
- That's generally an issue how to design loot tables. I see it certainly as a plus they started using things, that aren't dropped over and over and over again in other places. At least the stuff is useful, in contrary to some 40 rune platebody alch junk they often used. Try to design a loot table, which is rewarding, useful and not devaluing some 15 year content at the same time, without using new exclusives every single time.
Improvements: Tooltip / (F2P) QoL v2
Quick Fixes: Invention

11-May-2022 07:29:48 - Last edited on 11-May-2022 07:44:05 by Rikornak

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Posts: 9,169 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That said growing herbs isn't useless - it's still a quick buck you can make without hoping for drop. And you certainly could focus on herbs that aren't dropped commonly.

There is so much content from the past that never was worthwile. And why should you waste time on creating content that literally is DoA. Or at least the second the majority of players has done it enough to gain its exclusives.

I do agree with you - Croesus did a couple of things wrong, which can be used to learn from it for the future.

Not going too much into your concrete skilling ideas, they look certainly interesting enough to be used in one way or another.

As for tools - I think mining post m&s rework did it right. There is a viable tool available for all players via simple skilling and there is a better tool available for players ready to engage with more advanced content. Archaeology may be a bit more tricky, since the difference between an elder rune mattock and space and time is huge. But theoretically you still could lay your hands on the best in slot mattock without ever having to fear to engage with content.

Not saying that - let's say a t90 best in slot hatchet needs to follow the very same formula as the pickaxe or the mattock (I've actually seen re-using the pickaxe formula for that as extremely lazy from their side) did - but again I wouldn't want to rule them out the option in advance - since this gives content value and can give it even more value. Fighters also need to use lots of non-combat skills to reach their full potential, I do not see why it shouldn't be able to be the other way around as well.

Skilling abilities on the other hand sound interesting. I could think of supporting something surge-esque with agility, but it shouldn't as good as the original then of course. But it would fit thematically. The whole concept fleshed out could actually be interesting and enriching.
Improvements: Tooltip / (F2P) QoL v2
Quick Fixes: Invention

11-May-2022 07:44:26 - Last edited on 11-May-2022 08:09:37 by Rikornak

Realm Reaper
Apr Member 2021

Realm Reaper

Posts: 1,421 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"Herblore

- Concoct potions that will poison the beast / water supply / minions;
- Concoct potions that will boost your battle golem - different potions give different bonuses. This could be limited so bonuses that work well together can be used, but it shouldn't be possible to use all the boosts at any one time."

I think I like this one the most, but to develop your suggestion, I'd make the potions into a cauldron where NPC mages supply their magic powers from, dipping their wands or staffs into it and then damaging the beast. This could take away from the battle golem, but there needs to be more mechanics for it to be a boss:

1.) Dump Potions according to the beast's armor or combat style being used to supply power to the mages to damage the beast.
2.) Avoid incoming attacks with surge or avoid stuns with freedom and run back to the Cauldrons
3.) Maintain Cauldron Health but deal less damage doing so (temporarily) by dumping material rebuilding potions.
4.) Once a Cauldron is Destroyed, you could run to the next cauldron OR apply potions directly to Mages on time (some die before they even make it to the boss, so you'd have to watch your allies HP)
5.) The goal is to maintain cauldrons and battle mage's damage to the beast. You'll have different types of powerful mages on your team enter the fight (NPCs) to assist them on time to deal damage efficiently.
6.) Order Battle Mages to enter the field OR additional Cauldrons to be built. Select which mages come out when and why & select which cauldrons come out when and why.
7.) Splash a special potion directly on the boss when he gets ready for an instant kill mechanic but surge/escape/bladed-dive/barge out of the way of his secondary attack (the potion negates the insta-kill)

To make it pure skilling, you'd take away the combat danger, and replace it with failing to maintain cauldrons or support battle mages to kill the boss. Depletion of Cauldrons and Mages would result in a defeat.
5.8b XP

24-Aug-2022 21:41:13

Quick find code: 185-186-470-66243030 Back to Top