Forums

~Skilling Bosses~

Quick find code: 185-186-470-66243030

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Posts: 14,682 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Introduction

Whilst I will give some examples of potential future skilling bosses, I want to first get across some considerations that I feel is important when thinking about bossing. In recent months, I have felt that whilst skillers have received updates, they haven't come from a skillers point of view.

If you have any criticism of what I'm written, please feel free to be constructive. If you have any of your own ideas, I'll be happy to include them on this thread.

What is Bossing?

Bossing is essentially the process of killing "higher levelled" NPCs in the hope of obtaining rare item drops.

In recent times, higher levelled doesn't necessarily mean larger hit splats more regularly, but also new and different mechanics that players need to keep an eye on.

And with different mechanics already being implemented on the boss side, I see no reason why that couldn't be employed on the player side.

~A~

12-Jan-2022 20:16:05 - Last edited on 12-Jan-2022 20:32:19 by A  Cole

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Important Considerations

1. A skilling boss must be accessible for level 3 skillers. If you set out to create a skilling boss that cannot be accessed by this audience, then there'd be no point in actually creating it and you may as well create a standard combat boss instead.

This means that the following are necessary:

- Location not locked behind combat required quests;
- Mechanics do not require combat related abilities;
- Items required are not locked behind combated related activities (Orthen Furnace Core and Artificer's Measure are examples of combat locked skilling items);
- Necessary abilities are not locked behind combat related activities;
- Constitution of the player vs. constitution of the NPC is not the end goal of the fight.

2. Some players who play on skiller accounts do so for the challenge and not necessarily because they don't like combat. With this in mind, you won't necessarily see all skillers at level 3 combat. Personally, I have been at level 111 combat since 2008 or so. This is not because I dislike combat, but because I wanted to challenge myself to progress skills whilst at a lower combat level to others.

However, I also understand that many players skill because they do not like to engage in combat mechanics.

This means that:

- Boss mechanics can be highly interactive and challenging;
- A skilling boss should have one or the other type of skiller in mind - it won't be possible to create a boss that can satisfy both types;
- The content should be aimed towards the mass market, not top end PvM streamers - by all means make it scalable to give them a challenge, but start from the ground up, not top down.

~A~

12-Jan-2022 20:16:24 - Last edited on 12-Jan-2022 20:19:42 by A  Cole

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

4. The boss should be soloable. This does not mean it can't be scaled for group bosses. It merely means that if it's designed for group bossing, there should be a way for players to fairly reasonably solo the boss, even if it's less efficient to do so. This will allow players to practice the mechanics without affecting experienced groups. This also means it's accessible to the casual player base.

5. There must be a risk of loss. In Big Game Hunter and Croesus, if you fail the kill, you do not get the reward, hence there is a time loss. Other forms of loss could be losing items you put in to the fight such as food and potions, as well as loss of XP gain.

~A~

12-Jan-2022 20:16:24 - Last edited on 12-Jan-2022 20:35:31 by A  Cole

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

The Problems with Croesus

Croesus was a great addition to the game, but I can't say it's perfect. I'm sure many people would agree when I say that it's more like a group minigame than it is a boss. What do I mean by these statements?

Well:

- There's no fear of loss - we're in a contained area where death is not an issue. This is identical to pretty much every minigame;

- The boss mechanics are like Japanese trains - they're the same abilities, in the same order, at exactly the same time, each kill;

- It can be freeloaded - you can go the entire kill barely contributing anything and rack up a load of personal damage but still be rewarded;

- There's no jeopardy - if you fail the kill or get kicked out, you don't lose anything but the potential loot you would have gained if you remained;

- Combat locked abilities are essential to be efficient - Surge and Bladed Dive are very useful for getting around and avoiding damage;

- It is almost impossible to solo - I am all for group content, but if you look at group minigames such as the Great Orb Project, after a while it becomes almost impossible to find others to play the content;

- The drops are too rewarding - bossing should not be the main supply of skilling supplies, such as herbs, gems, etc. By all means, make the drops valuable, but don't chuck a load of skilling supplies in there otherwise you'll make other content obsolete. After all, why should we farm herbs if Croesus is more abundant?

I am not here to say Croesus should be updated to fix these "issues". I simply wish to explain that these features should be taken into consideration for future skill bosses.

~A~

12-Jan-2022 20:16:24 - Last edited on 12-Jan-2022 20:21:53 by A  Cole

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Skill Ideas

So how can the skills be utilised in bossing? Here are some ideas.

Agility

- Dodge attacks could be an in-built function of Agility - higher level = more chance of dodging an attack;
- Abilities tied to the Agility skill to dodge attacks;
- Climb to areas of the den that give you an advantage over the NPC;
- General shortcuts around the den that help the kills become more efficient.
- [Of Kyle] I think run energy being something we have to manage, much like hitpoints, prayer points, and summoning points can be a really interesting facet to a skilling boss.

One way I think this can be implemented is through arena size. For skilling bosses, I assume the weight of all the gathering materials will add up, and so unlocks such as the salt pool or using summer pies as food could play into the strategy. This also brings in dilemmas such as having to decide between an agility outfit or skilling outfit, which can also be really interesting to see play out!

Archaeology

- Excavate / restore artefacts around the arena that will weaken the boss;
- Finding knowledge tombs, similar to Orthen potion fragments, that increase your proficiency against that boss. The boost will be permanent. For example, each tomb could add +2% to your proficiency, with a limit of +20%. This means the more you go to that boss, the more inherently proficient you become;
- Expansion to relic abilities - unlock abilities for other skills via the monolith.

Construction

- Build catapults that can damage the enemy;
- Build a structure to contain the beast;
- Build a vessel that will help you escape from the beast - the beast may not necessarily have to die for you to get the loot;
- Along with other skills, create a battle golem that will fight the beast in your place - this golem could potentially be operated by the player or players or fight NPC vs NPC. If multiplayer, different parts of the beast could be operated by different players;

~A~

12-Jan-2022 20:16:24 - Last edited on 13-Jan-2022 09:04:39 by A  Cole

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Crafting

- Bushcraft - create tools in your arena that will help with the kill;
- Create many "clockwork mice" type items that can help with the kill - who would win: 1 giant vs 1000 chickens?

Farming

- Grow different plants that can do damage to the enemy / protect you from the enemy;

Firemaking

- Keep different types of fires burning to cause damage;
- Cause damage to a structure holding the beast;
- Burn down obstacles that may get in your way;
- Create firebombs that can be catapulted at the enemy.

Fishing

- We already have Thalassus from The Deadliest Catch quest. Let's give it a modern makeover;
- The Fishing Trawler could be reworked into boss-like content;
- Some fishing tools (harpoons, nets) can be used in a fishing-combat-esque mash up boss fight.

Fletching

- Fletch ammo for a ballista or an army of archers.

~A~

12-Jan-2022 20:16:24 - Last edited on 12-Jan-2022 20:25:10 by A  Cole

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Herblore

- Concoct potions that will poison the beast / water supply / minions;
- Concoct potions that will boost your battle golem - different potions give different bonuses. This could be limited so bonuses that work well together can be used, but it shouldn't be possible to use all the boosts at any one time.

Hunter

- Create a large pitfall trap that a huge beast could fall into;
- Make Big Game Hunter boss content.

Mining

- Rework living rock creatures to skilling kills. Mining is the damage amplifier, and Agility helps avoid taking damage. Damage is done to both Mining and Agility, so getting hit often will mean you will not be able to get a kill as your ability to do damage will decrease towards nothing whilst your ability to avoid damages increases;
- Pickaxes inflict damage on rock-type creatures.

Runecrafting

- Focus magical forces to your side to combat them going towards the enemy;
- Create runes for an allied army of wizards and witches for their battle against the boss;
- Imbue weaponry and armour for your battle golem.

Smithing

- Create new tools (see section below for more details);
- Create armour and weapons for your battle golem.

Woodcutting

- Rework the Evil Tree into a skilling boss. Not much needs to change. This could be the "King Black Dragon" of skill bosses;
- Chop trees in an area to provide wood for the construction list.

[Your idea here]

~A~

12-Jan-2022 20:16:24 - Last edited on 12-Jan-2022 20:26:31 by A  Cole

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Tool Ideas

The current tool set available to skillers is somewhat lacking when you compare it to the plethora of armours and weapons available to combatants.

Yes, we can improve on our bronze hatchet and iron pickaxes, but there's no variation.

The first issue is that skillers are locked out of some of the best tools in the game. Crystal tools require combat-locked quests to unlock, and other tools, such as the Mattock of Space and Time require crystal tools to make. This in itself is not necessarily an issue - after all, skillers have chosen to make the game harder for themselves by not having access to these items.

However, it could be possible to have alternatives to these tools. In combat, there's not just one weapon at each tier. There's a choice. What follows are some ideas on how tools can be varied. These will not only allow for greater freedom of choice in the game, but also allow for more variation in boss encounters.

- Pickaxes designed to cause more damage to living rock creatures than standard pickaxes;
- Degradable tools that are the same stats has tools +10 levels better, but degrade to broken over time - think Barrows tools;

[Your idea here]

~A~

12-Jan-2022 20:16:25 - Last edited on 12-Jan-2022 20:27:35 by A  Cole

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Ability Ideas

The abilities that can be applied to skills don't necessarily have to be limited to boss content. It would be great if we could start using abilities to increase our efficiency in standard skill training, and these abilities could be potential prizes from skill bosses.

As for combating the bosses themselves, first and foremost, make Surge a non-combat ability. It has far many more functions outside of combat than it does within, and would open up more opportunities for skilling boss mechanics.

[Your idea here]

~A~

12-Jan-2022 20:16:25 - Last edited on 12-Jan-2022 20:28:08 by A  Cole

Quick find code: 185-186-470-66243030 Back to Top