Forums

~Skilling Bosses~

Quick find code: 185-186-470-66243030

of Kyle

of Kyle

Posts: 103 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey, thanks for taking the time to write out and share your idea. I appreciate the care put into it!

I like the idea of skilling bosses, especially ever since Croeseus was released. I especially like your idea of implementing agility into potential skilling boss battles!

"- Dodge attacks could be an in-built function of Agility - higher level = more chance of dodging an attack;
- Abilities tied to the Agility skill to dodge attacks;
- Climb to areas of the den that give you an advantage over the NPC;
- General shortcuts around the den that help the kills become more efficient."

I think there's a ton more potential with agility, too! I think run energy being something we have to manage, much like hitpoints, prayer points, and summoning points can be a really interesting facet to a skilling boss.

One way I think this can be implemented is through arena size. For skilling bosses, I assume the weight of all the gathering materials will add up, and so unlocks such as the salt pool or using summer pies as food could play into the strategy. This also brings in dilemmas such as having to decide between an agility outfit or skilling outfit, which can also be really interesting to see play out!

13-Jan-2022 08:56:10 - Last edited on 13-Jan-2022 09:00:34 by of Kyle

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Posts: 14,682 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Great ideas there Kyle!

I like your thought of managing weight and run energy. This used to be much more noticeable in the standard day-to-day game before the change they made to energy. It would be great if this could be more influential again, even if it's just within a boss encounter.

I hadn't considered things like salt pools being helpful. Perhaps there are other things already in game that we should be thinking about that could be useful for skilling bosses. I'm going to have to think about this now.

~A~

13-Jan-2022 09:09:24

of Kyle

of Kyle

A  Cole said :
Ability Ideas

As for combating the bosses themselves, first and foremost, make Surge a non-combat ability. It has far many more functions outside of combat than it does within, and would open up more opportunities for skilling boss mechanics.

[Your idea here]

~A~

Don't change surge! I think simply adding a new mobility ability without any requirements can work as effective.

New Abilities:
Flight (from fight or flight )
Instantly dart 5 tiles away from a selected target/tile. Cooldown: 10 seconds (shared across sibling mobility abilities.)

Maybe a Double Flight could be unlocked through codex pages from a new boss that heavily incorporates agility for its mechanics.

Edit:
Double flight would have the tile equivalent of surge (10 total tiles traveled,) but it should require an agility level unlike Flight which would have no requirements. A unique benefit to Double Flight's second charge would be the ability to change directions in situations where a full surge would get clipped. The learning curve is thinking the opposite of Bladed Dive.

It won't make Escape or Double Escape obsolete, as Escape doesn't require the player to select a tile; working immediately instead. Escape also has a customizable distance depending on your ranged weapon.

Edit #2: Kinda embarrassed because what I just descibed doesn’t make a whole lot of sense! In my head, what I was visualizing was an ability that would essentially “slingshot” you the same direction as the delta between you and a “target,” but the point you are actually moving from is your current location. So if your target is North, you will teleport five tiles south from your current location.

Sorry sorry if this is confusing. I was trying to make it distinct enough from Bladed Dive (which deals ability damage anyway I guess).

13-Jan-2022 09:16:16 - Last edited on 13-Jan-2022 11:06:02 by of Kyle

of Kyle

of Kyle

A  Cole said :
I like your thought of managing weight and run energy. This used to be much more noticeable in the standard day-to-day game before the change they made to energy. It would be great if this could be more influential again, even if it's just within a boss encounter.

I hadn't considered things like salt pools being helpful. Perhaps there are other things already in game that we should be thinking about that could be useful for skilling bosses. I'm going to have to think about this now.

~A~

Excited to hear what you come up with!

13-Jan-2022 09:22:16 - Last edited on 13-Jan-2022 18:12:36 by of Kyle

SlR
Nov Member 2020

SlR

Posts: 4,378 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Support, I like the idea(s), abilities that require skill levels instead of (or as well as) combat.
Agility for dodge reminds me of Dungeons & Dragons dexterity bonus, gotta support that.
Bob says:
A bank PIN will keep your items secure.
Always check the second trade screen.
Never trade in the Wilderness!
Keep your computer keylogger-free and virus scanned.
Never give your password out to anyone.

13-Jan-2022 15:18:27 - Last edited on 13-Jan-2022 15:19:51 by SlR

PvPMatter
Apr Member 2023

PvPMatter

Posts: 171 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I do not support ~~

RuneScape is oversaturated with bossing content, and for Jagex to be lazy and to remove more natural RuneScape interactions to implement more *bossing* is just a huge face palm. RuneScape is about diverse content, I don't want to hop on just to boss all day, there are loads of other games that offer this.

I'm not saying skilling bosses are bad, but Jagex is farrrrrrr from making content that should be relevant, active again and they should not be putting more effort into *bossing* content.
Be nice and help people
........ * No sarcasm towards this action please. * :P IGN:
ShallPrevail

My threads
- Quick find codes: 185-186-847-66247999 **OR** 278-279-672-66248231

11-May-2022 04:47:20 - Last edited on 11-May-2022 04:48:02 by PvPMatter

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Posts: 9,169 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I generally think skilling bosses are a great addition - they shouldn't be overglorified skilling methods. And they certainly shouldn't appear in a number, they would start to dillute one another.

Going for your considerations

1 - No. A skilling boss may be available without combat skills, but excluding combat skills (it literally include the word 'skill') per se will restrict their options for make more prestigous content. A skiller is not somebody that shudders at the thought of gaining 83 or more points of experience in any given combat skill. OS has three skilling bosses, two available to everybody, one locked behind a grand master quest - and that's more than fine.

And yeah - OS managed to do a skilling boss that literally punishes players for levelling up their hit points skill. A damage that never can be undone again. I certainly would prefer if they won't need to restrict themselves to accomodate to 10 hp accounts, while trying to keep a challenge for regular players. It's currently a joke for the former and unnecessarily punishing for the latter - and that shouldn't be.

2 - Also not per se. Just like regular bosses can vary in difficult, with higher levelled content being more difficult - this also should be the option for skilling bosses. I certainly do not think they need to brutally difficult, but they shouldn't be open for any braindead player around either. Ideally players can grow from one boss to another - just like in PvM.

4 (where's 3?) - While I personally certainly do prefer solo content, that's once again something that would restrict Jagex in how they could design content. Just as BGH is solo only, I see it as fine that croesus requires a team to be efficiently done. Afaik you can do it solo... sorta...
Improvements: Tooltip / (F2P) QoL v2
Quick Fixes: Invention

11-May-2022 07:29:25

Quick find code: 185-186-470-66243030 Back to Top