Forums

RuneScape Music

Quick find code: 181-182-424-62359171

Lego Miester
Nov Member 2023

Lego Miester

Posts: 35,339 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I replayed the desert quests on the beta. STILL AWESOME.
Your melding of music to story is unparalleled in any other MMORPG. I actually kept count as I played this time (they flooded my chatbox!!!) how many amazing new songs you added.
24. 24 amazing songs. Ah ah ah! ';...;'
(The Count. Sesame street.)
Anyway, it was all amazing, you outdid yourselves, but I'll pick "everything is in its right palace", unlocking it left a sense of completion, even on a cliffhanger ending.
As greedy as it sounds, can you have that much music for every new quest? :P
Headcanon Haven, where everything is made up and the points don't matter.
OSRS Lore: Xeric
Slepe Tight - Slepe Lore

08-Nov-2012 22:30:12 - Last edited on 08-Nov-2012 22:31:17 by Lego Miester

Bunkwheat

Bunkwheat

Posts: 60 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"Wending through the Willows" FTW!
Couldn't believe it was a RS track I was hearing first time I approached Rimmington and heard the ethereal soprano with great piano accompaniment. Really beautiful and hugely immersive. Would love to hear more of this kind of engaging music in RS.
"Long Road" and "A Familiar Feeling" are good examples of ambient tracks (not really 'music' per se). Also very immersive.
Absolutely love the "Honkytonky" player-piano versions of classic tunes heard in the Blue Moon Inn (Varrock). Best of them is "Honkytonky Parade". Good stuff!
For examples of music I don't like and wish I could remove from the track list permanently, see virtually anything that plays in and around Karamja and similar jungle areas. Goofy, cartoonish jungle noises, squeaks, monkey hooting, tweeting... Yes, it's a jungle, but no, the music doesn't have to throw every cheesy jungle cliche at the listener. Steel drums? Marimbas? Monkeys? Birdcalls? C'mon.
Similar cartoonish "clatter bang clunk wheeze" music plagues Dwarven areas like Keldagrim. I get that these tracks are intended to reflect the environment but IMO this is not creative at all.
Novelty "fun" tracks have their place in cutscenes or other brief applications, but I don't imagine most players enjoy hearing them for hours at a time on a regular basis. I could be wrong; there may be fans of music consisting of bangs, clunks, honks and hoots, but they're probably playing 'tag' more often than RuneScape*
**;DR - RuneScape deserves good music. Fun tracks are OK but leave most of the novelty noises to pinball and whack-a-mole

09-Nov-2012 06:36:06 - Last edited on 09-Nov-2012 12:17:00 by Bunkwheat

Gwynrwyn
Sep Member 2003

Gwynrwyn

Posts: 7,860 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi, I don't often post in Compliments but I feel you did something really great with the TOG update.
The way you remastered Tears of Guthix and The Power of Tears was absolutely beautiful, when I first entered the cave I already expected that these old tracks would have been replaced, but to my delight they remained. On further listening, I found that they were somewhat different, shaped to be greater in clarity and with a certain resonance that captured the essence of that cave - the magic and resonance of the tears. I was absolutely delighted when I started the minigame and listened to the remastered Power of Tears track - your remastering of that fit the game so well while remaining faithful to the original tune.
I've long been attached to the older music tracks, and it somewhat saddens me to see them go and be replaced by songs that feel very different. A prominent example is that of TzHaar city - while the earlier tracks, In the Pits, Fire and Brimstone and TzHaar! were very fiery and lively tunes that I've always associated with a burning hot city, the new tunes, City and Supremacy, felt comparatively dull and prozaic (with perhaps the exception of TzHaar Supremacy II), and seemed to mirror the cooling of the city. This is primarily why I was delighted by the way you handled the TOG update - keeping the same composition but remastering the track made the music feel more alive while at the same time remaining faithful to the associated feel of the area.
I look forward to the music you guys keep churning out (I cannot deny that some of your new tracks are brilliant - Queen Black Dragon was incredibly energetic and imposing), and hope that at the same time you adopt this new approach of re-energising older music through track remastering.
Thanks for reading this, guys!
Gwynrwyn
"If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?" - Bill Watterson

12-Nov-2012 11:56:28

Sporkyy

Sporkyy

Posts: 1,811 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My all time favorite RuneScape song would have to be Animal Apogee.
I used to play with music on all the time and when that song came on it always put me in a happy mood.
I think I'll definitely start listening to the song tracks again! :)
Twitter: @2006
| |
Need forum help? Click
Here |
If you see a need, take the lead
|
RS3 + OSRS player

12-Nov-2012 16:18:05 - Last edited on 12-Nov-2012 16:18:37 by Sporkyy

Quick find code: 181-182-424-62359171 Back to Top