Forums

Will RS ever be Scaled Up?

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295

Mud Mud Mud

Mud Mud Mud

Posts: 19 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It would be great if Runescape was put to a larger scale and had less servers so more people would be seen trekking around the world. The only problem I can see for the future if this happens is the lag for weaker and/or older computers maybe?

20-Dec-2013 02:15:46

One Rising

One Rising

Posts: 340 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mr RobinHood said :
That would be cool although playing in HTML 5 was awesome, I loved being able to see other cities. I also found it very depressing everything so close together and under whelming, lakes that looked like I could walk over. I would definitely be ok with them getting rid of worlds to properly scale the game.

I would love to see an expansion come to fruition. Add some land between those cities, some width to those rivers, some height and depth to those mountains. I don't think every part of the map needs to have something going on.

Lastly, seeing Alkharid from lumby was amazing at first but then you noticed the hot dessert was separated from lumby by a "cliff" and it takes you right out of the atmosphere. One minute I was in awe, looking at the world from the top of lumbridge castle, admiring our allies city, could feel the breeze, it was beautiful. Immediately followed by WTF, the scaling ruins the beauty.

I hope when HTML 5 comes to be that the scaling is right there with it, maybe work on that now if they have to wait for browser technology:-P

Well said, the runescape world is essentially an amusement park/theme park currently. I'm glad html 5 brought this issue to heart.

Mud Mud Mud said :
It would be great if Runescape was put to a larger scale and had less servers so more people would be seen trekking around the world. The only problem I can see for the future if this happens is the lag for weaker and/or older computers maybe?

I don't think lag will be a problem because from what I have read, the world is loaded in piece by piece depending where you are I believe, so world size and lag may be independent.

20-Dec-2013 08:04:33

Mr Kanna
Jul Member 2023

Mr Kanna

Posts: 222 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Instead of expanding the world map (stretching out distance between cities) why not just release more continents. I mean if we know that the Eastern Lands exist, (and we will soon have access to from what I hear) and other lands such as the penguin motherland and such, just really release those areas. There is much more potential as we don't know how big the plane of Gielinor really is. This actually opens up more possible quest and storylines. However, please do not cop-out and make these continents accessable for a short period of time I.E. quest line.

This makes me want to create a sort of origins system. Such as players with the ability to change their nationality. Like someone can be from the Eastern Lands or someone from the West (current land), and gain special abilities/items for their nation. Also if this does happen, the economy can also be heavily affected as we don't have to rely on a main set of high level tiered weapons and armors, we can instead have special sets created for just the nation.

Although the above paragraph is possibly just as bad as it is good (the idea), I believe this effectively combats the need for a bigger "world". There is so much content that is waiting to be released, that I can't believe Jagex is not focusing on expanding first. Although I do think creating more story-line and ending old ones is important, I think there is more value toward the exotic lands we have yet to "explore". I mean we are adventurers right?

23-Dec-2013 04:26:43

Jon Stryder

Jon Stryder

Posts: 7,372 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mr Kanna said :
Instead of expanding the world map (stretching out distance between cities) why not just release more continents...

This is certainly a possibility. There are already several continents that have been hinted at but never released - how long have we been waiting for the Varrock museum kudos island? There are however 2 problems with this:

Firstly, there would have to be some advantage in the new continent to encourage players to go there, and keep going there. If there isn't then players will revert to the areas they know, where there are the resources they want conveniently located near banks and teleports. If instead it is just 'more of the same', then it will quickly become dead content.

Secondly it doesn't address the congestion in the central area of the map. More and more content is added to this Lumbridge-Varrock-Falador area because it is available to F2P players. Any new content that is added that is available to F2P has to go in this area. Unless these new continents are also available to F2P, this won't alleviate the problem.

Jagex could create a new continent that has a larger area, has all the same resources as the central part of the map, and is available to F2P. But how would that be any different or better to just expanding the central part of the map?
–= MEGA Construction Rework =–

Freeform Buildings, Surface World Plots, Community Involvement, Environments, Skills and much, much more...!

23-Dec-2013 12:32:08 - Last edited on 23-Dec-2013 12:37:07 by Jon Stryder

Meliz
May Member 2023

Meliz

Posts: 914 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jon Stryder said :
Jagex could create a new continent that has a larger area, has all the same resources as the central part of the map, and is available to F2P. But how would that be any different or better to just expanding the central part of the map?

I would like to see a scaled up map, but I have to admit I would like some new continents to explore too.

24-Dec-2013 17:34:01

Arlyne

Arlyne

Posts: 49 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jon Stryder said :
Secondly it doesn't address the congestion in the central area of the map. More and more content is added to this Lumbridge-Varrock-Falador area because it is available to F2P players. Any new content that is added that is available to F2P has to go in this area.

Free players also have Burthorpe, Taverly, and Ashdale. Burthorpe and Taverly feel kind of crowded nowadays. How about when an account completes the Ashdale tutorial, they get access to a "new" version of Ashdale with activities, skilling spots, and the like?

29-Dec-2013 13:29:04

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295 Back to Top