Forums

Can We Talk About MTX Now?

Quick find code: 15-16-560-66286770

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

Posts: 1,666 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Asmongold, MMO websites parroting negative news, review bombing on every platform. RuneScape 3's most visible content creators forgetting to ask their viewers to take a sip of their tea and relax before getting into their disgust, people cancelling their 20 year old accounts, Old School RuneScape giving us their Nan to throw back into the cage in order to bring Jagex back to the negotiating table....

It's safe to say the lesson here - for Jagex as well as myself - is that maybe RS3's playerbase has a bit of a spine after all. And you know. The game will be much healthier for it.

---

So, We are looking at being more involved in making sure Hero Pass bends toward the many and not the few in the future, and Jagex outright name-dropped "pay-to-win" as they scrubbed any trace of it from the Pass already.

This, Jagex, opened some eyeballs. This won some hearts. Reading the words "WE MESSED UP" to lead off the second feedback update was a little shocking. Thank you for admitting it.

So, I have a challenge - do you REALLY wanna gain some good will with your community? Lets keep eating the rich. I'll move two different examples of aggressive MTX issues that made it live successful and have weathered bad PR storms in their own right.

1. I know it, you know it - You guys probably wanna run Fresh Start Worlds back at some point. MAKE. THEM. FREE. - and then maybe have a one week grace period the week after the event ends before those accounts become standard f2p accounts. That way, everyone can participate if you want to do the whole various FOMO reward schtick again.

2. Treasure Hunter needs to be brought to the discussion table. Unlike Hero Pass, people like Treasure Hunter sometimes - but Mod Jack outright talked about how the items you get from TH make for an abuse of the game and aren't in line with Jagex's prescribed vision for how players play with it in the HP stream - and its had its detractors since Squeal. Most predatory MTX in game right now.
Quest Cape Owner since 2021

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

08-Sep-2023 23:32:58

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,311 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
What specific MTX and what recent game update are you talking about? If you want to talk about OSRS MTX like Bonds and Partnership, perhaps you want to go to the OSRS forum.

If you want to talk about TH, there is a TH forum.

If you want to talk about Hero Pass in the recent update, maybe you should check out the most recent news blog today:

https://secure.runescape.com/m=news/hero-pass---player-feedback-update-2#

The new Hero Pass updates will be totally different, and please check out the new responses. Most RS3 players are happy with the latest news, especially the ones who want Daily Challenges and 3 TH keys back.

09-Sep-2023 00:25:38 - Last edited on 09-Sep-2023 00:44:43 by Dilbert2001

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

Posts: 1,666 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dilbert.

This is in the correct forum, as it's a response to the Hero Pass update which is still the most recent update in the game, as well as a response to the one given in your link.

I'm aware this was also a step in the right direction.

MTX as a broader whole is related to the context of this week's update and the community's outrage surrounding it.

As for which ones specifically? I listed them in the original post.
Quest Cape Owner since 2021

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

09-Sep-2023 04:05:23

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

H 1 L D A said :
Dilbert.

This is in the correct forum, as it's a response to the Hero Pass update which is still the most recent update in the game, as well as a response to the one given in your link.

I'm aware this was also a step in the right direction.

MTX as a broader whole is related to the context of this week's update and the community's outrage surrounding it.

As for which ones specifically? I listed them in the original post.

I don't decide whatever is in the correct forum. I just want to know what exactly are you trying to discuss and respond accordingly. The rest is up to whoever decide what is in what forum.

If you are talking about Hero Pass, OSRS has nothing to do with it so just a big nothing to talk about.

As for treasure hunter, I believe all of us can see there is no treasure hunter in Hero Pass at all. We don't even earn TH keys there. We have no Dailly Challenge that used to give us TH keys. We will have Dailly Challenge again later but it will be a standalone system OUTSIDE Hero Pass:

"The Daily Challenge system will be reinstated in full.

We are working on this urgently and may take a couple of weeks to go live.
Daily challenges will return as a standalone system with its prior rewards. This means players can resume daily challenges without engaging with Hero Pass should they wish."

Don't you see players love the TH keys? It was a big thing when they didn't get their TH keys. Now they are happy to see them again. The RS3 community told us they wanted Their TH.

09-Sep-2023 16:10:37

Miu

Miu

Posts: 16,996 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
H 1 L D A said :
Unlike Hero Pass, people like Treasure Hunter sometimes

You just said players like predatory MTX. You've lost the argument. As your eceleb friend says, the frog is already boiled.

The fact is that Jagex doesn't want a healthy game. They want a profitable one. For the playerbase to have a spine they need to not buy spins, simple as.
Don't forget – RuneScape members get TWO free spins a day instead of the usual one!

09-Sep-2023 19:14:02

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Some people don't like TH, but most like it, not just "sometimes" but DAILY. That's the fact we learned clearly this week with Daily Challenges.

The clear fact is TH is not predatory MTX. It is not like we have to buy TH keys to obtain rewards we can't otherwise obtain from playing the game. It is not even as predatory as we have to buy extra membership to pay IM or buy Partnership product to get exclusive skins and game worlds.

09-Sep-2023 19:25:24

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Posts: 10,676 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey look at how the Rituals were handled in Necromancy. It was clearly a pay to win setup. You had the gold to buy a bunch of supplies. You leveled the skill in less than a week. Oh the skill is a combat skill. Not a non combat skill. Sorry. To be honest, doing rituals is tedious and costly. I only did Rituals for the souls to get the abilities. I really do not care about gaining fast experience. I want to have fun. Hero Pass is not fun. MTX is not fun. It is tedious. Its only am is to make fast money. Make a player think that spending money will get you ahead. I love Runescape because it is the last game you just go in and play the game and feel you have accomplished something. It has real lore. It has quests. This pay to win stuff has got to go. People should not be forced to think you need to get 200mil in a skill overnight. Cherish enjoying the skill. Enjoy small progress while enjoying to play the game. Occasionally grind to obtain a fun goal That is what the game is about. Not pay to win and go broke in the progress.

11-Sep-2023 14:00:22

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

CaptKoloth said :
Hey look at how the Rituals were handled in Necromancy. It was clearly a pay to win setup. You had the gold to buy a bunch of supplies. You leveled the skill in less than a week. Oh the skill is a combat skill. Not a non combat skill. Sorry. To be honest, doing rituals is tedious and costly. I only did Rituals for the souls to get the abilities. I really do not care about gaining fast experience. I want to have fun. Hero Pass is not fun. MTX is not fun. It is tedious. Its only am is to make fast money. Make a player think that spending money will get you ahead. I love Runescape because it is the last game you just go in and play the game and feel you have accomplished something. It has real lore. It has quests. This pay to win stuff has got to go. People should not be forced to think you need to get 200mil in a skill overnight. Cherish enjoying the skill. Enjoy small progress while enjoying to play the game. Occasionally grind to obtain a fun goal That is what the game is about. Not pay to win and go broke in the progress.

We can buy level 99 herblore in less than a day since the introduction of Bond MTX already. There are skills we can buy to max level in shorter time than Necromancy since 2013. So do you think we should remove Bond MTX?

11-Sep-2023 15:53:12

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Posts: 10,676 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dilbert2001 said :
CaptKoloth said :

We can buy level 99 herblore in less than a day since the introduction of Bond MTX already. There are skills we can buy to max level in shorter time than Necromancy since 2013. So do you think we should remove Bond MTX?

To be honest, yes, as to be used to gain experience or cash. There are two kinds of Bonds. Ones you can buy gp and cash and ones strickly used for membership. Problem is there are third party gold farms. So the reason for Bonds used for that purpose. So third party gold farms have no point.

As for Necromancy, it should of been barred from quick easy leveling. It was a new skill. Having so many people, with 200mil experience so early is pathetic.

11-Sep-2023 19:06:25 - Last edited on 11-Sep-2023 19:10:13 by CaptKoloth

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

"As for Necromancy, it should of been barred from quick eas
y leveling. It was a new skill. Having so many people, with 200mil experience so early is pathetic."

Do you know officially Jagex told us the first person to get to level 120 Necromancy required like 250 hours or over 10 days of actual playing time. Yes, I am only talking about level 120 not 200 mil Necromancy.

Do you know we can buy 99 herblore in just hours?

We can buy faster herblore levels than Necromancy since the release of bond in 2013. Why is it OK for us to max Herblore with Bond even faster than Necromancy but it is not OK with Necromancy?

11-Sep-2023 19:24:07

Quick find code: 15-16-560-66286770 Back to Top