Posts: 10,676 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mixed Slush said :
Was I at the sof riot?
Yes
Was I there when osrs opened?
Yes
Did they out mtx in it
Yes Bonds
Did they literally steal my old skl account for being an antimtxer & antieocer and antichildabuse?
Yes.
So fk petty bs.
I dgaf.

I loved the game pre 2006. Yes there were scammers and you couldn't see prices of items because there was no GE. But I loved the game then. I actually did loads of pk. Everybody then did. But thing is there were not items that you counted on for specs. You had to learn to hybrid. I think pvp is loads more fun than pvm. Because you do not know what to expect from a person. But when items, with crazy specs, came out, pk got boring and stupid. So many times some idiot would come at me and try to use a big spec. Loved it when they failed. Point being the skill in the game died when items were added that turned a challenge into a joke. For example what happened to KQ. Did the T70 requirement for power armor, could not believe how easy it was to use Nec against KQ. Nex is rediculously easy now too.

15-Sep-2023 18:43:22 - Last edited on 15-Sep-2023 18:45:56 by CaptKoloth

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Yes, I got off topic quite often just talking about the addition of game items. People have said that the addition of skill capes, GE destroyed the game. What destroyed the game was people wanted to have what the top players had. Point being the top players put hours into the game to obtain their goals. They also loved what they were doing. Many players just want the rewards without really working for them. So there is MTX. Rewards you just buy. I didn't even cover cosmetics. I actually love cosmetics because it prevents people from spying on my skills, qp and what I am actually using for combat. Hint, I very rarely go over T70 equipment. Because most times it is all you need.

15-Sep-2023 19:04:23

Jazz X
Mar Member 2014

Jazz X

Posts: 147 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jagex it is a mistake to rewind Hero Pass without also pointing out the alternatives.

Why aren't you pointing out that if you can't make money from people wanting to purchase bonds to do things like Yak/Heros prices would have to be raised or items sold in game itself (that would be a disaster it killed War of Legends for you).

Poll and ask " Would you rather we do promos like Hero's Pass" or charge for items in game like new armor and weapons?" Ask many similar questions. Maybe players will understand that promo's are a less intrusive way to fund development than other methods.

Ask if they don't want you to do Hero's Pass and its (minor) boosts would they be willing to pay an extra $5 us a month instead? Ask if they would be willing to pay $50 for a new t97 weapon six months before it becomes a boss drop (most would hate this I think).

I'm tired of players complaining about Yak/Hero's/Fresh Start. I get that you (Jagex) have done a very poor job in introducing all of these things (little to no warning and explaining before introduction) but you are also doing a poor job in explaining the alternatives to players.

It takes money to develop and maintain a game, we all know that in a general sense. You're mistake is in not being honest and explaining that to players along with the alternatives. If you can't make money with benign promotions like Yak/Hero's how would you have to make money? Raise Prices? Charge for items in game?

Players would hate both of those things but they seem so focused on how upsetting your poor introduction of Yak/Hero's/Fresh Start were that they are missing the point that if you don't do promos like these money will have to made in other ways that are even more objectionable to players.

You (Jagex) are making a huge mistake by just reacting to people complaining about these promo's without also holding an honest discussion on how you would have to make money if you don't hold these promo's.

15-Sep-2023 19:42:34

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

Point is they never should of introduced Hero Pass in the middle of VIP memberships. Should of waited and made it an option for VIP next year. But yes voting for how it was done would of been a great idea. Point is that now whole game revolves around Hero Pass and the promised options of 2023 VIP membership was wiped.

15-Sep-2023 20:11:13

Mixed Slush

Mixed Slush

Posts: 299 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
f a k e news said :
Memberships make up majority of revenue anyway so could just raise membership prices and change treasure hunter into real content.

Exactly.
That's very clear.
Plus without mtx they can cut the mtx dead wood team that are frankly dragging everything else down.
Because Jagex didn't need to spend money on updates to make people log in daily like every other piece of shit game, we already did.
In fact every update since sof has devalued the game and made less people want to play it.
So a better idea would just be to shut it down.

15-Sep-2023 20:55:51

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

Posts: 1,666 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If Jagex can't run benign promotions like Hero Pass, would they have to raise prices or charge for competitive equipment before it is released in game?

According to most players, Hero Pass wasn't exactly "benign."

> Content Buffs were placed on the Premier Track for a vast majority of the earlier parts of the pass, meaning that players who didn't have the premier track were going to need to grind out the entire pass in order to access them. This gives Premier members unfair access to buffs that players were already up in arms about prior to the pass' release, like the damage reduction at Zammy.

...on to your question though, if you were to include things like the removal of Treasure Hunter on your list of things that Jagex would offer increased membership price instead for - Absolutely.

I'd be much more keen to support Jagex by paying a higher subscription price if they devoted their time on making RuneScape the best MMORPG out there and did away with harmful aspects of MTX (Pay-to-win, lack of consumer friendliness, needless fees) in order to ensure players were getting the absolute best product they could.

In exchange for Hero Pass itself - well..... Clearly players already did a number on the poor update and Jagex moved without putting up a fight. That question is past due.
Quest Cape Owner since 2021

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

15-Sep-2023 22:56:52 - Last edited on 15-Sep-2023 22:57:20 by H 1 L D A

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

Posts: 1,666 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
....and what about charging for best-in-slot gear ahead of release, or exclusively?

Jagex may be looking for loose change, but they aren't stupid.

You put up t97 gear on the Marketplace and you kill any hype you have for the next boss release right then and there.

Players won't be able to race for the first drops and the ability to name their in-game gp price for them if everyone has already purchased them weeks in advance with real money. That's a very large part of PvM content right there. It's such a harmful step that Jagex simply won't do it. Period.

So you're willing to let the game die because you don't want Jagex to have more funds to develop it?

Let's just say, I'm pretty confident Jagex didn't simply forget to list the alternative when it came to Hero Pass.

Why? There wasn't an alternative in the first place. Jagex isn't in financial straits. They've done well for themselves year after year and you can actually view that data publicly.

Jazz - both of us want Jagex to be better at communicating. However, I want Jagex to be honest. They wouldn't be if they were going to offer some kind of sob story that the game needs players to buy into various battle pass systems on top of the already existing subscription model that funds most of the company anyway.
Quest Cape Owner since 2021

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

15-Sep-2023 23:06:10

CaptKoloth
Feb Member 2008

CaptKoloth

We are already paying more for membership. The game needs to be balanced. Since it went to EOC combat has been a mess. Particularly with the bosses. I am seriously getting tired of the enrage percentage being used as boss strategy. After so many fights you eventually learn how to handle and it no longer becomes a challenge. It is not fun. What is fun is an actual fight strategy. Oh yes turn on a few settings and you are set. I cannot believe people go on about doing bosses. Most RS bosses are easy because we have easy access to abilities, prayers, pots and equipment that make the supposed tough bosses easy. Don't get me started on Soul Split and Necromancy. It pretty much made present bosses a joke.

Anyway, I am off topic. The pay to win problem. One of the things I like about this game is basically you can still achieve without paying to win. There are still some good diy avenues. But if the player base continues to want high powered equipment to make things easier, it will get more pay to win MTX. I actually would love to see some ideas of doing bosses with retro gear challenges for Seasonals.

16-Sep-2023 02:13:17

Quick find code: 15-16-560-66286770 Back to Top