General Forum Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Posts: 24,511 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hauk said :

You have lost me with this.

Legalisation of gay marriage = covers wider society, everyone within a state, country, province etc.

A child learning to walk = only that child, not all children.

We celebrate gay marriage publically because it impacts wider society.

It also impacts society when a child learns to walk. Imagine all those little buggers runnin around, partaking in social activities all on their own locomotion! Face it- your argument is garbage.

Hauk said :
Also please remember that people who are proud of their sexual identity aren't trying to say it's the only thing of interest about them. It is just one part.

It is partly down to a personal sense of self, the way in which someone wants to describe themselves and what things they relate to. It's also cultural.

LGBTQ culture is no different to black culture or anything else. It's not about "I'm this and nothing else" it's saying "I'm this. I'm proud to be this. This is just part of me, but right now this is what I'm talking about."

You're not answering my questions, so I'll repeat them:

Team Skull said :

Why are we acting as if this is something abnormal by pointing it out if we're trying to make it normal?

and

Why aren't we advocating for the merits of these people?

I don't believe these questions are difficult to sufficiently answer.
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

15-Nov-2017 18:41:03

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Posts: 24,511 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hauk said :
Also please remember that people who are proud of their sexual identity aren't trying to say it's the only thing of interest about them. It is just one part.

I don't quite care if they are proud of it, if I may be completely honest. By putting it out there, you are basically telling others that, in some shape or form, that that is a defining merit and people will judge you based on that.

Like I said- Do people care that George Takei is gay? No, they care he is a skilled actor.

Do people care that Ellen Degeneres is a lesbian? No, they care she is an influential TV personality.

Do people care (or even know) that Pharrell is gay? No, they care he is a talented musician of his genre.

So on and so forth.

Why does/did Caitlyn receive the pushback that she did? Because she decided to make it a defining merit instead of a characteristic by saying, or at the absolute least implying, she is brave by coming out.

That's why advocacy is balderdash- because it inherently focuses on the characteristic and pins it as a merit, which really should not be the case if we want anything resembling social progress.
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

15-Nov-2017 19:01:23

Twillow
Aug
fmod Member

Twillow

Forum Moderator Posts: 49,500 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Exit Wound said :
*rolls eyes*

can we take this discussion/debate to off topic

Please do.
@Twillow_RS

For W71 Penguin locations starting January 24, 2024: www.reddit.***/r/W71PenguinWhisperers or @pengwhisper

15-Nov-2017 19:59:30

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105 Back to Top