Forums

General Forum Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105

Aslon Dak

Aslon Dak

Posts: 10,616 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It was exactly one year ago today, on Sunday 15 December 2019, that I made the switch from using Java to play RS to using NXT. Not that I had much choice, since the Java option was ended three days later. I played in Java for the last time that Sunday afternoon on my old 2012 laptop with Windows 7. Then I fired up my 2018 laptop running Windows 10, downloaded NXT, and began using that client to play RS.

I had read wildly varied opinions regarding NXT on the RSOF. Some claimed it was an ugly, unplayable mess that ought to be scrapped. Others proclaimed it to be gaming perfection, something that was a million billion times better than Java.

As I expected, the truth is somewhere between the two ridiculous extremes, as is often the case. While some of the graphics are undeniably better in NXT, including fire and water effects, others appear much the same as they did in Java (I played on High graphics in Java, and normally use High in NXT too). Rockertunities were useless in Java, since we could hear the sound effects but couldn't see the particle effects above the rocks. However, teleports are still a mess in NXT. Those landings can be pretty rough!

In over 15 years of playing RS in Java, I never had a "malformed login packet" error. The very first time I encountered this was on my first full day of using NXT, while trying to buy Herblore supplies in Taverley. Over this past year, I've run into this quite a few times since.

I do not miss the loading screens. Not at all! :)

In short, NXT is certainly playable...but it is not perfect.

I would enter it into The Guide as being "Mostly Harmless". ;)
Aslon Dak: Still 'Scaping after 19 years!
You can buy XP. You can't buy experience.
Save the RSOF! 278-279-95-66293045

15-Dec-2020 23:06:58

Gareth Drago

Gareth Drago

Posts: 41 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well that was rewarding!

I saved some of my free Treasure Hunter keys for when one of my favorite promos came up. I saw today's promo is Smashing Relics, so I used all 8 keys I had, counting the free daily key plus the bonus key awarded by the Advent Calendar.

One of those keys granted me a relic. Before that, two keys in a row awarded me a red prize and both times I chose to get eight relics. So including the two free relics from the Advent Calendar, I found myself with a total of 19 relics to smash!

In addition to finding coins, noted diamonds, XP lamps and stars, dungeoneering tokens, battleship kits, and dragon trinkets, I found a few interesting items by smashing these relics:

- Festive Mistletoe
- Queen's Guard Staff
- Rosethorn Wand
- Shark Fist 1

Saradomin be praised!
Saradomin be with you.

16-Dec-2020 08:12:09

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105 Back to Top