Forums

The Amethyst Library

Quick find code: 49-50-80-60871629

Poller5
Dec Member 2023

Poller5

Posts: 11,421 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm certainly guilty in ignoring them myself, except, oddly, in tennis. For how remarkably old-fashioned Wimbledon is, it does a great job of keeping men and women on equal footing.

I'll take a look at your stuff tonight.

19-Jul-2011 07:38:46

Poller5
Dec Member 2023

Poller5

Alright, Aeraie, here goes:

Firstly, the poems: they were good, but beyond a general appreciation for how words flow together, I have no technical knowledge of poetry, and so can't really assess them. At any rate, they were good reads, so well done on that account.

"Imperfect" was well written, with some clever turns of phrase that demonstrate a mature understanding of writing, but the ending is too ambiguous; it lacks the gravitas that it seems think it should have. I have the impression Ugula is Sawyer's father, but there's nothing, really, to back it up; there needs, I think, to be something more concrete to what could be a very impactful ending. The jump from his thoughts to his actions is also weird; his last thoughts are about being indecisive and imperfect, and then he's going to finish everything off. It's just somewhat weird.

"Hardest of Hearts" follows a similar theme, in that the writing is good but the "******" doesn't carry the weight it should; the reader simply doesn't know Maddi well enough to understand the significance of her being a tom-boy by her... Father? "Florida Snowman" is never properly identified, which threw off the story for me, having to try and go back and try to figure out who he is. The story is good, but there needs to be a deeper understanding of Maddi by the reader for the story truly to work.

"Patriarch" is an interesting story, though one that lacks somewhat the emotional burden it should, with the father killing his son. The creation of emotional burden is something you did very well in other stories, and so its absence is all the more curious.

"The Tainted Grove" is also interesting, but most jarringly shifts both perspective and tense in the middle, and that shift completely removes the reader from the story; if it is intentional, it doesn't come off as well as perhaps you had hoped.

(cont'*)

19-Jul-2011 10:14:16

Poller5
Dec Member 2023

Poller5

“Discord and the Three Gods” is odd, as to me it adds very little to the original tale of Goldilocks; why simply retell the story? I expected some more significant deviation from the original tale, something to give it some meaning, but I was disappointed when it seemed to be little more than a rehash of the old fairy tale.

“When You Were Young” was, simply, beautiful. I don’t think there’s anything else I could say about it without being pedantic; I was massively impressive by this marvellous tale. Well done, very well done indeed.

All this under consideration, you have truly earned the rank of Novelist of the Amethyst Library. As part of this rank, one of your threads can be chosen to be advertised in the Library (this will be the thread with which you applied, unless you wish it to be something else). Congratulations.

19-Jul-2011 10:14:28

Poller5
Dec Member 2023

Poller5

Mm, like I said, the stories will always work better if you give us the character background we need; it doesn't need to be much, but just enough that the revelations make sense. As quibbles go, though, it is a fairly minor one.

19-Jul-2011 23:54:50

Quick find code: 49-50-80-60871629 Back to Top