Forums

† Koshei the Deathless †

Quick find code: 49-50-741-60535019

Elitemage14

Elitemage14

Posts: 12,429 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
And now here he was, again alone. He sat there in one of Varrok's empty pubs, covered in darkness and surrounded by dead bodies.
He had not wanted to kill the pub's inhabitants. After his journey he felt so worthless and lonely that the only thing he had wanted was a little companionship. He had entered the pub, just wanting a drink and to sit with the other patrons. All he wanted was to listen to the music and feel like he belonged. But as soon as they saw him everyone inside panicked. They called him a monster and drew their weapons, and Skrae was left with no choice but to kill them.
How his race had fallen from grace. Guthix himself had handpicked them to protect to Stone of Jas, and they had a monumental impact in helping to end the Great War that ravaged the world in the Third Age. In the past, they had practically been nobility.
The kin had always been known for a little destruction now and then. 'But how is that any different from the humans and their love of war?' Skrae thought. In the early years the kin had gotten along with the humans, but their relationship had always been fragile. They were different, and no matter what the humans feared their power and what they were capable of.
Over the years, heroes like Robert the Strong came forward to challenge them. Slowly, their race began to dwindle and they could not repopulate their numbers. Dragonkin were sterile. Nobody really knew why this was the case, but amoungst the kin Skrae had heard the rumors. Some claimed their ability to repopulate had been taken by Guthix when he put them in charge of protecting the Stone of Jas. Others said their extened time in Gilienor, away from their natural plane, had robbed them of their fertility. It didn't matter who was right; the fact was only four of them remained. They were close to extinction, and Skrae was an outcast amoung outcasts.

18-Aug-2010 22:33:51 - Last edited on 18-Aug-2010 22:36:04 by Elitemage14

Elitemage14

Elitemage14

"I don't belong here. I don't belong anywhere..."
Before Strath's death, Skrae had not been a hateful person, although afterwards hate had become the only way for Skrae to endure the countless centuries of sadness. Hate and anger drove away the depression and made him feel less empty inside and gave him the energy to live on.
Looking around at the dead bodies, the hate began to return to him. The mortals were all just trash, and if they would not accept him as a Dragonkin, then they did not deserve to live.
"I will kill them all," he said. "And then I will kill you, Koshei, for starting all this pain!"

His rampage did not begin immediately. Skrae first snuck around to each of Varrok's three gates, the only exits out of the walled city, and melted each one shut. "Tonight, these walls will not protect you from those outside them. Tonight, they will doom you to those within," he laughed maniacally.
Once Skrae was satisfied that there was no way in our out of the city, he began his inferno. He started at Varrok's palace, engulfing the castle in a holocaust of fire, and then watched the flames as they slowly drifted their way south.
He could have engulfed the entire city in mere minutes if he wanted to, but he instead chose to to let the fires carve their natural course. "You will not suffer a quick death. You will all watch helplessly for days as the flames slowly draw towards you, never knowing when death will come. You will try and fight it, but your deaths will be enevitable, and in the end you will all burn!" he roared and filled the skies with his laughter.
As Skrae was leaving the city to burn, he could see the feral dragons flying overhead, drawn by the smoke. As long as they were circling overhead, the few people that did manage to scale Varrok's walls and flee from the carnage would not live long, Skrae mused.

18-Aug-2010 22:33:52 - Last edited on 18-Aug-2010 22:36:29 by Elitemage14

Elitemage14

Elitemage14

As much as he wanted to stay behind and watch, Skrae had other business to attand to north of Varrok in the wilderness.
"I will become the strongest Dragonkin this world has ever know, and no one will be able to challenge my might."
He travelled across the barren wasteland to the location of one of the Great War's many battles. Here the earth was barren and no plant life would ever be able to grow. A few crumbling pillars and rusted pieces of armor remained, the only evidence of the old war.
But this battlefield was different, and Skrae could taste the corruption in the air. On this battlefield thousands of years ago, Koshei singlehandidly invaded this once great fortress and destroyed an entire battallion of Zamorakian soldiers within.
Skeletons, demons, and spirits began to crawl out from the earth as Skrae approached.
"Hear me all you lost souls," he spoke. "We are all different, but still have one thing in common. Thousands of years ago, Koshei damned each and every one of us to an eternity of suffering, but no more!"
A army of undead creatures circled around him. "Innertwine your bodies to mine and lend me your strength! Let me become the vassel that will carry out our revenge!"
Out of hatred towards Koshei, the creatures gave into his demands. He could feel the hands of countless demons and warriors grabbing at him, and then being pulled in and absorbed into body. Spirits and ghastly figures crawled down his throat and through his eyes, fighting for space inside.
'Skrae is dead,' he thought as the creatures squirmed and fused inside of him. "My name is Legion: for we are many. Now, I shall never be alone."

End of Chapter 3

18-Aug-2010 22:33:56 - Last edited on 18-Aug-2010 22:37:09 by Elitemage14

Vrangr Wayne

Vrangr Wayne

Posts: 6,414 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
well i figured i would come by to save some imaginary hostages...
minor note, after looking it up, its koschei not koshei
anyway, i disagree with orbies need of personality, koschei doesnt have much of one due to having no memory, memories make up a part of your personality, ever met someone with amnesia? they seem pretty bland too.
besides that, keep it up man, its good.(i love epic fight scenes)

-Wane

19-Aug-2010 21:28:12

Elitemage14

Elitemage14

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, Koshei isn't exactly brimming with personality, but he will become a bit more complex once he starts getting his memories back.
I was originally planning on having a part with Koshei and Brundt at the upcoming festival that would show a bit of Koshei's softer side, but I had to cut that part out since I'm kind of pressed for time to finish this story before school starts.
And it's good to know Jagex *finally* uncensored Koschei! For years that c in his name would always be starred out, so I had to settle with Koshei, even though it's not technically his name, but it was close enough.

I didn't remember Legion being mentioned in Ghost Rider. That's interesting. I was actually more inspired by the idea of Legion by Randall Flagg, the best villain ever, in The Stand and Dark Tower series.
"He looks like anybody you see on the street. But when he grins, birds fall dead off telephone lines...the grass yellows up and dies where he spits. He's always outside. He came out of time...He has the name of a thousand demons. Jesus knocked him into a herd of pigs once. His name is Legion...He's the king of nowhere."

19-Aug-2010 21:59:23

Vrangr Wayne

Vrangr Wayne

Posts: 6,414 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
getting into necromancy'ish stuff can make things interesting...
but as a small note in what i have read writers seem to use a very small range of weaponry in their stories. as such i have a small suggestion, its up to you to use it or ignore it :P
a pair of short(er) blades, such as Ninjato(fictional weapon) for they are faster, easier to conceal, easier to drawn and gives more oportunities by having two blades to work with
anyway, ill give you better feedback after i re-read the story(only read once)

Feedback to go here
--->
Small peice of feedback, you are staying out of koschei's head, you have written what Skrae thinks but not much of koschei, that could be part of it. we dont know how he thinks but we see skrae, we see his motives, we see his feelings, we see his pain. we see little to none of koschei's yet (but i also assume part of that will come with his regaining of memories)

19-Aug-2010 23:29:51 - Last edited on 19-Aug-2010 23:56:50 by Vrangr Wayne

Elitemage14

Elitemage14

That's a good point that I haven't really explored Koshei's thoughts much yet. I'll try to work some of that in while he's in Acheron. A frozen, unpopulated wasteland gives plenty of opportunities for self-reflection :P
For some reason, most people do just stick to a select few weapons, which I think is kind of boring. I guess it's because fights with swords are easier to describe than something like a flail and it's erratic movements or a heavier weapon like a warhammer since you also have to account for and describe the momentum and all that in its heavy strikes.
I haven't thought that far ahead yet, but I'm thinking about changing up the equipment in the next fight scene.

20-Aug-2010 01:24:09

Quick find code: 49-50-741-60535019 Back to Top