Forums

Dreamweaver's Assorted Tales

Quick find code: 49-50-691-49415905

97swiftarm

97swiftarm

Posts: 6,533 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
3-4 months? And you call your schedule hectic? My lord, that's open as... well, you get the idea. Because I don't. It's open, I guess.
Heya Dream. This is a Eibp. Yep. A Eibp. Ponder that one until we meet again.

15-Jun-2009 11:25:23 - Last edited on 15-Jun-2009 11:25:46 by 97swiftarm

Dark Enmity

Dark Enmity

Posts: 2,957 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Okay, I have to admit I have been a bit cruel, because I have been reading these short stories in secrecy without posting even a speck of gratitude towards you Dream. I decided enough was enough.

Superb. Absolutely one of the best collections of short stories I have seen. You write with a style which is one of my least favorites genres in a story (comedy and poignant) yet I read it only because they are such beautifully written by a talented author (Hopefully this sentence didn't make you feel discouraged at the beginning, that was just saying my likes and dislikes)
What I would have to say is the most—or one of the most—amazing things about your writing is that you can manage to squish it down into one post apetizers. It astounds me how you do this. They are so small and some have such few sentences yet they have so much plot depth. It's like looking all your stories are magician hats—it looks like it has the capacity of a hat, but then you go ahead an pull fifteen rabbits out of it. (I am still expecting more from that "The Perfect Crime"! ;) )
If you haven't been bored to sleep and have managed to reach this conclusion I just have to say that your stories—ahem—ROCK! You still offer long main courses that give a lot of impact or a one post story for those people with a short attention span. (meaning me)
I hope you write more because this isn't me lying (Trust me, if you were awful, I would yell it off the Empire State Building) I want to see more of those magicians hats! ;)
Hope you're still awake,
Kyle

01-Jul-2009 04:36:31 - Last edited on 01-Jul-2009 04:37:23 by Dark Enmity

Dreamweaver
Aug Member 2003

Dreamweaver

Posts: 3,790 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kyle, thank you so much!
That's one of the most sincere and fuzzy-feeling-inducing responses I've ever had. I am humbled and very happy indeed that you found some enjoyment from my little tales. But more than that, it particularly excites me that a fellow writer of some accomplishment and potential such as yourself has this opinion.
Praise from any quarter is most well received, but coming from a peer, it is high praise indeed. I thank you sincerely!
Dreamweaver

Now I'm running out of excuses to not write something else sometime soon. Leela, yourself... Oh how to perform under pressure? :)

03-Jul-2009 05:22:46

Dreamweaver
Aug Member 2003

Dreamweaver

This next one needs a little explanation:
The challenge was from Innue in a July 2009 contest, to write a 400-word piece about a party that had to contain the following words:
* Tick
* Step
* Burgundy
* Surmise
* Elegant
* Iridescent
* Feline
I took the following approach:

.o~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~o.
<~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ GUNDEY'S LINE ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~>
'o~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~o'

Gundey, a Dorgeshuun engineer, was inspecting the iron track along the new locomotive route from Dorgesh-Kaan to elsewhere. The route went downhill into the darkness, then stopped abruptly at a rock face due to budget cuts. But although there may not yet have been a particularly inspiring destination, it was still impressive engineering, and because of that, there had been a big celebration today to commemorate the first train trip along it.
Now, engineers know a thing or two about a thing or two, and Gundey was no different, especially when it came to iron. It was his job to guarantee the quality of the track – or “Iron Line” as he would say to confuse non-engineers, even using “Fe” when he really wanted to bedazzle the uneducated. To his credit, the inaugural run had gone flawlessly, which was critical to continued funding. Falador's ambassador, Sir Atto Mize, and his gorgeous fiance, Elizabeth of the Gant family, were guests of honor to view the Dorgeshuun marvel, and right now, the celebration at the bottom of the line was in full swing. Yet Gundey was alone once more in the spooky black tunnel with just a miner's helmet for lighting, making sure that everything was perfect yet again.
“Cripes,” he muttered as he squeaked slowly along the rails on his maintenance rig, “Why can't I shake the feeling that something is going to go horribly wrong? It's scary in here, yet everything went exactly as planned.”
~continued~

06-Jul-2009 06:29:29 - Last edited on 06-Jul-2009 06:30:17 by Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Aug Member 2003

Dreamweaver

The celebration's dance music echoed eerily up the tunnel towards him, punctuated only by the metallic grating of his rig's brakes on the sloping track.
At least they should have been grating. But wait! The rig was gaining speed. Gundey yanked the manual lever hard, but nothing happened. He was gaining speed, the music getting ever louder and closer. The light from the festivities was now visible as a dim glow ahead as he shot downhill at breakneck speed. The chilly air streamed past him as he screamed towards the gathering at the bottom and an almost certain fatal crash. But even worse, the party would be thrown into chaos and his funding would be cut for sure.
“Brr, Gundey!” he stammered to himself, “Curse this eerie descent! Sir Mize and Elly Gant will never dance the tick-step at the bottom of the Fe-Line again!”

~Dreamweaver~
July, 2009

06-Jul-2009 06:29:59

Quick find code: 49-50-691-49415905 Back to Top