Forums

Dreamweaver's Assorted Tales

Quick find code: 49-50-691-49415905

Venmi

Venmi

Posts: 14,744 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The Story Reader Exchange is now having a re-submission policy. If you don’t re-subscribe between the 20th and the 30th of the month, every month, your story will be removed from the list. You may re-apply afterwards if you wish, but you must have a good reason why you did*’t re-apply when you were supposed to; otherwise, you can’t come back in. This month also includes a month where you must re-apply.
Thank you!
~ Mbtsc/t aka Mitch, Leader of the Story Reader Exchange ~

07-Mar-2008 22:55:25

Dreamweaver
Aug Member 2003

Dreamweaver

Posts: 3,790 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I check in to read new posts most days, even if I don't post that much myself.
Thanks very much for stopping by again and reading more. I'm glad you're still enjoying them. :)
Dreamweaver

25-Mar-2008 05:18:49 - Last edited on 25-Mar-2008 05:19:20 by Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Aug Member 2003

Dreamweaver

.o~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~o.
<~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ YOU LOOK HUNGRY ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~>
'o~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~o'

'Oh I can tell you a story about that,' Grandpa Bertram exclaimed gleefully. 'It takes me back to my boyhood days, it does. Sit and listen!'
The old man leaned forward eagerly from his chair by the fire, as his grandson sat attentively on the floor. His eyes shining excitedly, old man Bertram began to speak:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'"Roll up, roll up! Get 'em while they're hot!"
'It was a wet and windy day in East Ardougne, the perfect kind of day for selling hot food. And Honest Guv' Jim, the most successful merchant this side of the zoo, knew it better than anyone. Standing smugly behind a cart towering with steaming merchandise, and with a quick sideways sneer at the Sandwich Lady and her paltry selection of damp pastries, he yelled across the square again.
'"Pies! Real ugthanki meat. They'll spice you up, good 'n' proper! Get 'em before they're gone!"
'It wasn't long before his wooden vehicle was empty and his belt bag was full, so with a self-satisfied chuckle and a nonchalant flick of his winter cloak, he span on his heels and disappeared down the nearest alley towards home.
'Unnoticed against the lee-side of a house, I looked across the square. I despised Guv' Jim but I was in awe of how he always managed to sell his wares so fast. His prices were nothing out of the ordinary, yet his ridiculous tales of ­ugthanki meat and other ludicrous claims never failed to pull in gullible patrons, day after day.
'I knew that my mother, the Sandwich Lady, was far too honest to use such underhand tactics, yet our family was losing out in no small measure.
~continued~

31-Mar-2008 06:48:00 - Last edited on 31-Mar-2008 21:13:35 by Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Aug Member 2003

Dreamweaver

'"Mum!" I called, running across the square, "I think I have an idea!"
'"There you are, Bertie! An idea about what, dear? Mum's packing up."
'"You know Jim lies about his pies--they're not even good quality. We had one last month, and it was awful. But he sells them because he makes them sound amazing."
'"Honey, we've been through this. I'm not going to start fabricating all sorts of..."
'"No, no. But we know that your pastries are so much better. Once people try them they love them. Your customers are few, but they're loyal! As long as you can get people to try just one, they always buy from you again."
'"Yes son, but..."
'"Why not give them away to new customers?"
'"Bert! I can't afford that."
'"How many do you have left from today? About ten? What if you'd given six away throughout the day?"
'My mother went quiet. "I suppose I could try," she murmured thoughtfully.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Needless to say, the tactic was a great success. These days, no-one has heard of Honest Guv' Jim, but our Sandwich Lady business is going from strength to strength! That's what I call value!'
The young boy sprang to his feet in exasperation.
"Value, grandfather? Value? I needed a story about Valour!"

Dreamweaver
March 2008

31-Mar-2008 06:48:23 - Last edited on 31-Mar-2008 07:03:35 by Dreamweaver

Quick find code: 49-50-691-49415905 Back to Top