Forums

Dreamweaver's Assorted Tales

Quick find code: 49-50-691-49415905

97swiftarm

97swiftarm

Posts: 6,533 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
OKay, under the tiger sky has been added to my short stories thread.
Check it out and do the same here! We >are< and >always< will be the greatest duo! (Well, I think so, anyway. Pook and Maia thrash us.)
This is also a bump, me thinks.

03-Oct-2007 08:49:36

Dreamweaver
Aug Member 2003

Dreamweaver

Posts: 3,790 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
.o~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~o.
<~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ UNDER THE TIGER SKY ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~>
'o~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~o'

[Dreamweaver]
The sun is beginning its descent into the western sky. I am stretched out awkwardly on the lumpy ground, but ahh, the comfortable smell of home surrounds me. With my muzzle pressed into my mother's familiar back, I lie, still and listening, outside the den I was born in. The rich loam assails my senses, bringing back memories as sharp as if they had happened yesterday.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was woken rudely by the hot, wet nosing of my mother. My eyes had not yet opened, for I had still to wean from the milk or to venture out from our lair beneath the tangled roots. I yawned cavernously and reached up, searching for my morning milk, my nose guiding me unerringly to the safe, familiar scent of my mother. But she was not offering me sustenance. Again came her moist snout, now against my side, pushing me to my shaky paws. Then a pinch at the back of my neck, and I left the ground, kicking and struggling. The indignity of it! I coughed my protestations but my mother carried me effortlessly, upwards, away from the earthen nest I had always known.
Suddenly, I was surrounded by an explosion of unfamiliar sounds and smells. Rustlings and callings caught my ears from all directions, but oh the air! The air was moving, soaking warmth into my fluffy fur, caressing my face, teasing my whiskers. My mother dropped me gently to the ground but I hardly noticed, so intent was I to feel the delicious wind on my cheeks and capture every aroma it bore to me.

05-Oct-2007 08:14:07 - Last edited on 05-Oct-2007 08:23:16 by Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Aug Member 2003

Dreamweaver

[Dreamweaver]
I squeaked in surprise! My mother was washing my face, her rasping tongue licking across my nose and eyes roughly. I scrunched my eyelids tightly shut and tried to turn aside, but she was persistent. By and by, her attentions ceased, and I turned once more to the warm air to dry my bedraggled face. But wonder of wonders, the blackness I had always known was giving way to a dazzling yellowy glow. My eyelids were unfurling and a blazing light was assaulting my tender, unfocused vision.
And there before me, a resplendent striped shadow amid the bright yellow light, was my mother.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I move stiffly upon the unforgiving ground, changing position slightly to ease my aching muscles. The jungle is quiet now, as the shadows lengthen and the sun starts to turn the sky orange. I nuzzle in closer to my mother's still form, lying motionless in the dappled sunlight that filters through the fronds above us. A tropical wagtail calls in shrill tones, breaking the silence. “Too-wheet. Too-wheet.” I remember the first time I heard that call.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05-Oct-2007 08:14:54 - Last edited on 05-Oct-2007 08:20:35 by Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Aug Member 2003

Dreamweaver

[DieScammers8]
“Too-wheet. Too-wheet.”
All around me, I heard them fly and call to each other. They were taunting me, I swear! I looked around, searching for one of those cheeky birds, hoping one was just a little too unafraid. I spotted it, lying on the ground; a wing bent under its body like it was broken. I instantly crouched, sta<C>lking it... Hunting it.
All of a sudden, a crunching sound startled the ‘lame’ bird. Its eyes opened, black and wide, and it saw me. With a screech of terror, it took wing, flying for the nearest tree. A growl from my mother behind me caused my shame to build and I look down. Under my foot lay a branch, rather large but not sturdy enough to support my weight without breaking. It was covered with leaves and other fallen foliage but still, it was an amateur mistake.
Even though I had only opened my eyes a few moons ago, I was growing quickly. No longer was I a helpless fur-ball, as my mother used to purr to me. I was large and I felt I should be able to hunt by myself. It seemed that I could not.
With my head hung low, I walked over to where my mother had sat, watching me with her large eyes. Her orange and black stripes seemed to melt back into the trees we called home. I looked down at myself. I just seemed to jump out of the forest. My orange coat was brilliantly bright; more shame as it stopped me from hunting.
I stiffened as I saw my mother crouch into a hunting position. She had heard or seen something I hadn’t! Maybe we would feast tonight after all. Front right paw in front of left front paw, she moved slowly towards the trees where the tropical wagtails had been. Then I saw it. A large larupia-not nearly as big as my mother but still formidable-sat near our watering hole. Its tawny brown fur glittered in the sunlight and caught my attention. Subconsciously, I felt my feet start to wander forward. I wanted that fur; it was so lovely…

05-Oct-2007 08:15:32 - Last edited on 05-Oct-2007 08:21:04 by Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Aug Member 2003

Dreamweaver

[DieScammers8]
The second snap of a branch brought my attention back to reality. It also caught the larupia<C>'s attention. It saw my mother sta<C>lking it. For a brief moment they both looked at each other, sharing a hunters’ glare. The big cat was the first to act. It knew that my mother would win -- that it would become our meal if it stayed. So it ran.
The chase was on as they hurtled through the jungle. Circling around trees, dodging bushes and shrubs, kicking up leaves and other dead foliage, they ran. Again and again they took the same path, the larupia in too much terror to change where it went. It began to tire, yet my mother did not. She was closing in. Our appetites would be served. One more pass and she would catch it.
Snap! It happened so quickly that I could scarcely tell the moment my mother was a pace behind the larupia from the moment she was on its back with her teeth embedded in its broken neck. I was awe-struck. I bounded over to where she lay with the fresh kill, salivating at the prospect of dining on cat tonight, but as I approached, my mother jumped up and snarled at me, forcing me to back off. I yelped in surprise and fright, but then I understood.
I had not helped earn this prize. Had I not been there, my mother would doubtless have caught it cleanly, saving a great deal of energy. The feast was hers alone tonight. Perhaps tomorrow I could share the scraps with the scavengers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05-Oct-2007 08:16:05 - Last edited on 05-Oct-2007 08:21:12 by Dreamweaver

Quick find code: 49-50-691-49415905 Back to Top