Forums

Short Stories

Quick find code: 49-50-526-31637980

Anne Lauten

Anne Lauten

Posts: 3,830 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well, I've written a few short stories (Most of them assignments) and decided to post 'em.
I'm Anne Lauten (As you may have guessed) and I've written, Sisters, I'm Trapped, Tales of the House of Turlenn, and Resurrection of a hero (A joint story I'm writing with my brother.)
I rather like a few of these stories and I hope you do as well.

Keep-track-of-stories-thingie:
"Daylin's Powers" Page one.
"The Fight" Page two.
"Trust Betrayed" Page two and three.
"A Game of Death" Page four.
"Nothing Left Except Revenge" Page six.
"The Forest of Magic" Pages seven and eight.
"Another Day on the Job" Page ten.
"Sheep's clothing" Pages thirteen and fourteen.
"Cats and Enchantresses" Page nineteen.
"Hell's Shadow" Page twenty-one.
"Mandy" Page twenty-eight.
"Lynx's Bio" Page thirty-eight.
"An all shall show mercy . . ." Page forty-seven.

26-Sep-2006 19:06:41 - Last edited on 14-Dec-2007 23:25:21 by Anne Lauten

Anne Lauten

Anne Lauten

Here's the first one, Daylin's Powers:
----

Daylin leaned against a tree, yawning to himself. He disliked recess, mostly because of the fact that he was considered a bit of an outsider, and was often teased for being "different."

A ball bounced to his feet and he picked it up, handing it to what seemed like thin air, but was really Zintia, a girl who zoomed past at light speed, plucking the ball from his hands as she did so.

No, really, she actully did run at light speed; that was her power, and she had perfected it over time.

She threw the ball to a tall boy called Gethon, who caught it, bursting into flames as he did so, and chucked it back. Zintia laughed, catching the ball and running off to play with her other friends, of which she had many, being one of the "popular" crowd.

Perhaps I ought to tell you why the children at this school were running at light speed and bursting into flame, quite regularly.

About twenty years ago, an old woodcutter had chopped down a tree, which had landed with a splash in a pool of sparkling silver water. He had run back to town, interrupted the village elders at lunch, and dashed off again with them in tow. The elders had said something about the water being nice looking, and hurried back to town to finish their meal.

Anyways, at some time or another, most of the village people had come to look at the pool, and somehow (nobody was quite sure how it happened later) a toddler had fallen into the water; and when the mother had pulled it out, she noticed that it seemed to be flickering on and off.

One minute the child would be fine, and the next it would be invisible. Of course the mother had run screaming back to the village, and told the elders what had happened; they had rushed out to the pool and stared at it for a while,
before fencing it around, and saying that none were to touch it until they gave the word that it was safe.

26-Sep-2006 19:09:16 - Last edited on 26-Sep-2006 19:11:11 by Anne Lauten

Anne Lauten

Anne Lauten

The baby had grown up able to turn invisible at will, and most of the other mothers dunked their kids in the pool, trying to get THEM to have superpowers as well. Pretty much all of them did get powers, and soon the gentle quiet of the small town was interrupted by flying children, children on fire, melting children, and the like.

The interesting thing about the pool was it only gave these powers to kids under the age of five, and that sometimes it gave "weird" powers, like the power to bake pies without burning them, or the power to unclog sinks, or something.

Well, now that I've explained all that, I can get back to the story, where, if I remember correctly, Daylin was leaning against a tree, thinking about how much he hated recess.

Now, you see, the reason Daylin was "different" was that he had no powers at all, don't get me wrong; his mother had put him in the pool and everything, but he had not even a smigen of power, and that made him "different" and therefore unpopular.

As he leaned there, counting the seconds until the bell rang to go back in, one of the playground bullys spotted him and came over,

"hey wimp!" he yelled, "want me to help you with something?" Daylin winced,

"Go away Savften" he called back, "I don't need you right now" oh darn, he thought to himself, that was the wrong thing to say.

As Savften reached him, one arm pulled back to let loose a punch, Daylin felt something click into place, somewhere in his head, and a large bucket of water appered over Savften's head.

The bucket overturned, pouring water over the bully, and causing him to rethink punching Daylin;

Daylin, meantime, was making buckets appear everywhere, soaking the grass of the playground, water flew, kids ran shrieking.

Daylin smiled, he had found his power.

26-Sep-2006 19:09:38 - Last edited on 26-Sep-2006 19:10:21 by Anne Lauten

The contents of this message have been hidden.

27-Sep-2006 19:21:07

Quick find code: 49-50-526-31637980 Back to Top