Forums

RS Story Contest - Survivor 2

Quick find code: 49-50-509-63216305

Venmi

Venmi

Posts: 14,744 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Usually I associate 4000 characters as two posts because each post is 2000 characters max. There was no one in TNG or the other Survivor contest who needed an extra post to get to that 4000/6000 characters, so I am keeping the limit at two posts.

~Mitch

23-Sep-2011 13:25:18

Chuk

Chuk

Posts: 14,177 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
But then you're breaking posts in the middle of a sentence, if you use close to all 4000 characters, which is a shame. Ah, well, I guess it's not a big deal.

23-Sep-2011 16:01:31 - Last edited on 23-Sep-2011 16:01:53 by Chuk

Chuk

Chuk

Like I said, it's not a big deal. Breaking posts in the middle of a sentence is probably no worse than having two post breaks; it just looks messy, IMO, and on Echoes, I often only fill 1600-1700 characters because of the size of the next paragraph.

Anyway, entry coming next. Character count is 3971 according to Word.

23-Sep-2011 16:08:22

Chuk

Chuk

Sarien set the steaming dish on the table and joined her family around it. Eriq to her left, tousle-headed and only four. Seraa, her beautiful daughter on her right, almost ten. Last, across the table, Kerj, her husband, grin still roguish despite reaching into middle years. She smiled and pulled away the lid, revealing a lightly browned turkey.

"Smells wonderful, dear," Kerj said, lifting a knife and beginning to carve.

Almost no time later, silence descended while the family fell upon their meal. Finishing, Sarien wiped a drop of sauce from Eriq's chin. He glowered fiercely, and she smiled, tousling his hair.

"Can you clear the plates?" she asked her husband. "I'll take the kids for a walk. Eriq said he wanted to see the castle again."

Kerj groaned, but said, "For you, dear," and kissed her lightly on the cheek.

She gathered Eriq and Seraa and went into the evening, a small hand in each of hers. She wove through streets, sky above fading from yellows and oranges to reds and purples. Eriq and Seraa bickered, and Sarien sighed in mock exasperation, but spoke only once, when Seraa thought they were going away from the castle.

"Nonsense, sweetie," Sarien said. "The way just looks different since it's almost dark."

Minutes later, they entered a dark alley where a city guard stopped them.

"I'm sorry," he said, "There's suspicious --"

He fell silent when a dagger flashed in Sarien's hand, sliding across his neck. Seraa screamed, tried to run, but Sarien caught her, a hand over her mouth, and dragged both children down the alley. Stopping at a door marked in red, she knocked. It cracked, and a face poked out, black hood hiding features. Recognizing her, the cloaked figure allowed her in.

"Them's the sacrifice? They does look good."

Eriq squirmed, but Sarien held tight. Ignoring the question, she said, "There's a guard dead back there. They suspect, and now they'll know. Quickly, make everything ready."

"Yes, mistress, but others, they ain't here yet."

23-Sep-2011 16:09:09

Chuk

Chuk

"Then hide the body, and be ready as soon as they are."

The man turned deeper into the cavern-like room, produced silver pincers from his robe, set them by a table made of gears and iron cuffs. Then, while Sarien dragged her children toward the table, he vanished down a tunnel opposite the door. Still holding a hand tight over Seraa's mouth, Sarien wrestled a sobbing Eriq onto the table. She had one small wrist cuffed before Seraa bit her middle finger, teeth grinding on the joint. Hissing, Sarien back-handed the girl across the face. Her small body flew a pace, rolled to a stop against a wall.

Sarien massaged the back of her hand, almost returned to a writhing Eriq when the door to the alley crashed open. She just had enough time to see a crazed figure emerge from the darkness. A single leap and he crossed the intervening space, his beard bristling in her face, eyes flashing in madness.

"***** things Goff hears, creeping in shadows. Bad things. Goff dislikes bad."

He reached for Sarien, claw like finger nails stabbing towards her. Her dagger slashed, but the man caught her wrist effortlessly, twisted. He grinned when it snapped. Sarien groaned, but rammed her free hand into the man's throat; he laughed, grabbed her face in return. His nails drew blood before he tossed her against the wall. She crumpled, unmoving. Goff moved to the table, unlocked the cuffs, and ignoring the boy's eye-rolling terror, gathered him gently in one arm.

"Shh," he murmured. "Goff is not bad. Goff will make you safe."

He lifted Seraa in his other arm, left through the door. The last light had not yet faded in the sky, and Eriq calmed slightly. Swift running through the streets brought them to the castle gates.

"Guards," Goff cried. "Guards! Goff needs guards!"

When the first uniformed man appeared, Goff passed over Eriq and Seraa, exchanged a few words, and disappeared into the night, promising: "You with Guard now. Goff like Guards. This one will keep you safe."

Then he was gone.

23-Sep-2011 16:12:28

Chuk

Chuk

Got it within two posts, though RS counts chars differently than word, apparently, as I only had 8 chars to spare between both posts, and that was after some more cutting. O_o

Also, that ***** in the second post is qu(c)eer, though meant in it's original form, not the present slang.

23-Sep-2011 16:14:32

Quick find code: 49-50-509-63216305 Back to Top