Forums

RS Story Contest - Survivor 2

Quick find code: 49-50-509-63216305

Venmi

Venmi

Posts: 14,744 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
NEWS: The contest is over! Full results are on Page 52
Hello everyone, and welcome to the second installment of Lebbeh’s Survivor series of story contests here on the RuneScape forums. This second installment has been entrusted to me, Mitch, and I hope you enjoy it.
As one could probably gather from the title, this contest is going to take a similar shape to the style of Survivor. If you are unfamiliar with the way the game is played, I’ll try to summarise it for you here:
The contest will consist of a series of about seven rounds, depending on the number of entrants. Each contestant will be asked to write a short story for the round on a specific theme. After the deadline has passed I will judge these entries and deem the best stories, awarding either the top two or purely the best one “immunity” for that round depending again on the round and number of entrants.
All of the contestants will then vote for someone they wish to be eliminated from the contest; however those with immunity cannot be voted out. The person who gains the most votes against them will be eliminated from the contest. This type of elimination allows the creation of alliances and such which makes the game further interesting. I stress that the person you vote for does not necessarily have to be the person with the worst entry, which means strategy can come into play. In the earlier rounds there may be the case that the two people with the most votes are eliminated, and any ties in voting will be decided by me based on quality of their entry.
Anyone who has not submitted an entry for that round will not be automatically eliminated but will still follow the same process as all those who have, that is, that they can be voted out and are always losing in the event of a tie. Likewise, if a contestant does not vote in a round then there will simply be fewer votes counted up to determine elimination.

20-Sep-2011 14:00:29 - Last edited on 22-Dec-2011 16:56:02 by Venmi

Venmi

Venmi

As the game progresses and more and more people are eliminated, the “Authors” are formed. The last seven people eliminated from the contest prior to the final consisting of three contestants remain in the game to determine the winner in the final round by majority vote. The person in the last round out of the three to gain the most votes from the Authors wins the contest, and the prize.
From reading you can probably tell that this is an intricate and exciting new way to run a story contest which I believe will bring a new sense of enjoyment to the Story Forums. In addition to the above, there will be a “Hidden Immunity” that is handed out to an entrant at some stage through the contest as an extra part to a challenge. However, there may be multiples. This can be played after any voting and will make any votes cast against you not count, which can be vital to turn votes around and knock out another competitor. If a contestant is knocked out while in possession of a hidden immunity, it will come back into play by means of another challenge. However, if a hidden immunity is played then it has no further role in the contest.
Votes can be cast by private message in-game or by posting on this thread. It may help you later on if your vote is anonymous but I’ll leave that up to you decide. I am in-game quite often, and my private chat is always on, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
The prizes for winning this contest are:
- A dedicated thread containing all of your entries
- A rank increase in Dreamweaver's chat "The Word."
- A rank increase to Novelist in the Novelists' Guild if you are not one already.
- Bragging rights
But if you have any further suggestions for prizes, please post it in a reply.
Thank you!

20-Sep-2011 14:00:37 - Last edited on 26-Sep-2011 04:33:25 by Venmi

Venmi

Venmi

Contestants:
Lebbeh
Aeraie
Snowbuster
Authors (Eliminated contestants):
Polymath
Azigarth
Reegena
MickeyT
The Level
iChuk
Uppercut41
Runewolf12
Mors Et Vita

20-Sep-2011 14:00:38 - Last edited on 30-Nov-2011 23:16:06 by Venmi

Venmi

Venmi

-FAQ-
Q. How long will the entries be required to be?
A. Entries will be a limit of 4000 characters (about two posts), but this may change in the final round or so.
Q. Will each round have a theme?
A. Yes, each round will be themed differently but I am open to suggestions.
Q. How long have you been on the Story Forums?
A. About four years now but I have had breaks from the game through that period.
Q. Why are you hosting the contest instead of Lebbeh?
A. Lebbeh wanted someone else to take over this contest, so I volunteered and he deemed me competent enough to run this contest.
Q. Is the Hidden Immunity randomly given out?
A. No, there will either be a side-challenge, a clue hinted in a post or some other subtle event. You can answer in a private message as well to prevent the other contestants knowing you have it, which might help your game.
Q. Are you against siding with friends and tactical voting to eliminate people? Should we vote for the worst story?
A. No, definitely not. A big part of this game is allying and not just going with the worst story. If it helps you win, I say do it. Having said that, voting for what you think is the worst story might suit you better. It all depends on how you want to do it.
Q. Is there anything special you look for in an entry?
A. Try to make your interpretation of the theme ingenious. Some type of plot twist will always leave the best impact.

20-Sep-2011 14:00:39 - Last edited on 23-Sep-2011 16:08:21 by Venmi

Venmi

Venmi

-RULES-
- One entry per person, no multiple accounts!
- Do not edit a story once it has been posted, unless it is in the first fifteen minutes or so after posting the entry and completely necessary.
- Any bribery on voting to help swing numbers, in any stage or form in the contest, will result in penalty or disqualification. This does not include setting up alliances, but rather paying people to vote for others.
- Any accusation of bribery or cheating is a serious measure and any false information given will result in penalty or disqualification.
- All length limits on stories must be followed (obviously)
- Do not persuade people to vote for others if you have been eliminated. Once you have been eliminated you cannot influence the voting until the final round.
- Be polite to other contestants, even when voting them out.
- Your first vote is your only vote and it can't be changed.
- No discussion of voting on this thread, only the votes themselves.
- Send your vote as a private message in-game if you can.
- All Authors can only influence the game in the last round. Please refrain from posting opinions until then.
- Do not argue decisions made on this thread, I am free to discuss that in-game.
- Please do not post votes after the deadline unless an extension has been made.
- Any breach of the forum rules or the above rules will result in a penalty or disqualification.
Some further notes:
- In the event of a contestant not entering a story, they remain in the contest as long as they aren't voted out.
- In the event of a tie, the person who hasn't entered a story will always lose. If both contestants in the tie have stories, the one I deem to be better will remain in the contest.
- In the event of a contestant not voting, the voting will carry on as if they did.

20-Sep-2011 14:00:39 - Last edited on 20-Sep-2011 14:36:47 by Venmi

Venmi

Venmi

-First Challenge-
This is an immunity challenge. The two best stories will be exempt from the vote for this round, and two people will be voted out.
You must write a short story (maximum length of 4000 characters) that involves taking a character and writing as if the character is the polar opposite of what he truly is. What I mean is something like Saradomin pillaging villages or Zamorak healing a wounded ally. It could be anything of that nature.
Entries will be judged on creativity, innovation, relation to the theme, and quality of the entry.
Deadline: Friday, September 30, 2011, 14:00 forum time.
Entries:
iChuk--Page 8, posts 6-7
Polymath--Page 9, posts 2-3
Azigarth--Page 9, posts 6-7
One Bourbon--Page 10, posts 6-7
Snowbuster--Page 11, posts 5-6
Aeraie--Page 11, post 10; page 12, post 1
Lebbeh--Page 13, posts 4-5
Runewolf12--Page 16, post 1-2
iChuk and Lebbeh have gained immunity. Full results are on Pages 17-18

20-Sep-2011 14:00:40 - Last edited on 09-Oct-2011 21:52:39 by Venmi

Venmi

Venmi

-Voting Round one-
You all have three days to vote off the person you want to be eliminated from the contest. You may not vote for yourself, Lebbeh, or iChuk.
The two contestants who receive the most votes will be eliminated from the contest.
You may contact me in game or place your vote on the forums. You have up to the 3rd of October 18:30 forum time to place your votes.
Any ties in the votes will be determined on the quality of the entries and will be determined by me. If the contestants tied have not written an entry, it will be decided by a random drawing.
You may vote for any of these contestants:
Azigarth: 1
Polymath: 2
Reegena
MickeyT
Rune Wolf12: 1
Aeraie: 1
One Bourbon
Snowbuster
Uppercut41
The Level
Polymath and Azigarth have been eliminated. Full results are on Page 22

20-Sep-2011 14:00:41 - Last edited on 03-Oct-2011 23:34:44 by Venmi

Venmi

Venmi

-Second challenge-
This is an immunity challenge. The two best stories will be exempt from the vote for this round, and two people will be voted out. The top story will also receive an additional prize, which we will consult in game.
You must write a short story (maximum length of two posts) that tries to answer a philosophical question. I will leave this theme wide open as there are a ton of philosophical questions that can be chosen.
WARNING: Points will be reduced if the question is directly stated outside of the story.
Entries will be judged on creativity, innovation, relation to the theme, and quality of the entry.
Deadline: Monday, October 10, 2011, 23:00 forum time
These contestants must write an entry or face elimination:
MickeyT
Reegena
The Level
Uppercut41
Entries:
Aeraie--Page 22, post 10; page 23, post 1
Polymath--Page 23, post 4*
Uppercut41--Page 25, posts 1-2
Snowbuster--Page 25, posts 6-7
Lebbeh--Page 27, posts 1-2
Runewolf12--Page 28, posts 1-2
*Entry is not part of the round due to the contestant being eliminated
The winner of this round is Lebbeh! Full results are on Pages 28-29.

20-Sep-2011 14:00:41 - Last edited on 11-Oct-2011 00:21:24 by Venmi

Venmi

Venmi

-Twist round-
The first twist round in this contest will be a short round. This is for all eliminated contestants or people who did not join in the first round to have a chance to be a part of this contest. For this round, you must write a 100-word entry on DEATH. This can range from someone dying to the deity known as Death.
The winner of this round will be allowed to participate in round three.
The deadline for this twist is Thursday, October 13, 2011, 16:00 forum time.
Entries:
Mors Et Vita--Page 30, post 8
Mr Jeeves84--Page 31, post 3
The winner is Mors Et Vita! Full results are on Page 31

20-Sep-2011 14:00:49 - Last edited on 13-Oct-2011 16:12:51 by Venmi

Venmi

Venmi

-Third challenge-
Teams:
Lebbeh and Mors Et Vita
Aeraie and iChuk
Mr Jeeves84 and Snowbuster
Rune Wolf12 and Uppercut41
I have placed you all in teams of two randomly by picking names out of a hat (the winner of round two got to pick his teammate). Your next challenge is to write a story that is based off of RuneScape lore. You may use any lore from RuneScape and branch off into any direction with it. Anything that goes away from RuneScape will lose major points. The best team will gain immunity for this round.
You must work together to achieve a story of four posts maximum. This is an exception to the two-post rule. The post increase gives you all more room to write something great.
Deadline is Thursday, October 27, 2011, 16:00 forum time. Notice how the deadline is an extra week. Use the time wisely to work together with your teammate.
The deadline has been extended to Monday, October 31, 2011, 23:00 forum time.
HINT: Ardhonmeth by Poller5 is an excellent example of this round's theme.
Entries:
Snowbuster--Page 36, posts 7-8
Lebbeh and Mors Et Vita--Page 37, posts 1-4
iChuk and Aeraie--Page 37, posts 7-10
The winners are Lebbeh and Mors Et Vita! Full results are on Page 39.

20-Sep-2011 14:00:50 - Last edited on 01-Nov-2011 19:37:53 by Venmi

Quick find code: 49-50-509-63216305 Back to Top