Forums

RS Story Contest - Survivor 2

Quick find code: 49-50-509-63216305

Old Gnomish
Jul Member 2023

Old Gnomish

Posts: 2,569 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Okay, time really got the better of me this round. Aside from this, I had to write it myself, hence the short length. Having said that, length does not dictate quality, not that I hold out much hope for this piece.

I would strongly advise you to read the latest lore in the "Lores" section of the Game Guide entitled "The Song From Before the War" before reading this. Although this is not a sequel, it links directly to it.
Snow
| Runescape Stories Forum |
Guildmaster - The Novelists' Guild

30-Oct-2011 17:50:41

Old Gnomish
Jul Member 2023

Old Gnomish

- After the Song -

A calm breeze whistles its way through the yews that loom proudly along the pathway. Follow the pathway and you’ll find a village big enough to home hundreds.

But you won’t find a bustling market of avid fishermen and soft farmers.

Few inhabit the place now. Those of us who do dare not venture out into the wilderness that has become our unfriendly neighbour. A constant feeling of fear feasts on the souls of even the once bravest of men. A trembling village? Perhaps. Few dare speak of the haunting events that gripped the hearts of warriors and burned them to oblivion.

A constant silence poises above the village.

I sigh. On my knees, I bow down to the statue stood towering above me; the only symbol of hope that our village owes its survival to. I stare intently at the crimson plaque, eyes glistening as I read it:

Here lies Saint Elspeth
Heroine of our village
May Saradomin echo your melody for eternity.

I look back up at the statue itself. It is beautiful. I find myself smiling in sheer admiration: how can such beauty and elegance become enlightened in a marble statue?

I stand up and walk east. A few metres further lay a gravestone, a small, crumbling lump of rock carelessly dumped into the snow-covered ground. To most, it is insignificant on its own. It is accompanied by thousands more gravestones scattered in long lines across the land. But this one in particular is meaningful--to me, at least.
I read aloud the decaying engraving: ‘Unnamed soldier. Friend of Elspeth, his stories of our great Saint are said to have lived long in the memories of his comrades. Died whilst fighting in the name of Saradomin.’
Snow

30-Oct-2011 17:51:23 - Last edited on 30-Oct-2011 17:52:59 by Old Gnomish

Old Gnomish
Jul Member 2023

Old Gnomish

Ceremoniously, I bury my chin into my neck. Unnamed he may be, but unforgotten, too. I can’t help but feel an immense feeling of respect for him. There is a song that is sung during Sunday mornings in the church of Saradomin. It is said to have been a translation of a song from before the war. Rejected by most as pure fiction, it is sung weekly, nonetheless. There is a rumour that the final words of this soldier were the same words to that very song. They say it was written as a homophony; that it originates from the Icyene, a holy creature that fought during the great God Wars. Perhaps it is just fiction, but whenever it is a sung, an ethereal hymn echoes throughout the spiritual halls of our church.

A seemingly perfect note that could last for infinity.

I shiver as a strong gust penetrates into my poorly-covered torso. It is winter, and the already-quiet village is completely tranquil: fearful of the bitter cold, albeit placid, air that besieges our homes.

I glance once more upon the intricately-crafted statue of Elspeth, and then again at the small but humble gravestone of the soldier. A single tear seeps from my eye, rolls down my pale cheek before daintily landing upon the snow. It is a tear not of loss, nor woe or dismay.

It is a tear of happiness. For through the loss of our ancestors, the song plays on, in perfect harmony.
Snow

30-Oct-2011 17:51:44

Venmi

Venmi

Posts: 14,744 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thank you, Snow. I am so sorry you ended up without a teammate.

Oh, and Snow brings up something great. Can you guys tell me which lores these came from so I have an idea of where you are going with this? Cool, thanks.

~Mitch

30-Oct-2011 19:31:12 - Last edited on 30-Oct-2011 19:32:42 by Venmi

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Posts: 3,785 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Okay, entry coming up on the next page. I haven't received full confirmation of Mors' satisfaction regarding a minor tense change, but I am worried that this storm will leave me with no internet, so I'll post it now to be sure.

I have no doubt that I can re-post it if there is a problem without violating some major rule. ;)

31-Oct-2011 03:29:01

Quick find code: 49-50-509-63216305 Back to Top