Forums

RS Story Contest - Survivor 2

Quick find code: 49-50-509-63216305

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Posts: 3,785 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
-False Reflection-

“Stop staring at me.”

The other being does not avert his gaze.

“Stop staring at me.”

You grow more agitated upon the repeated demand, your continued glare penetrating the man’s skull. The two of you are motionless, captured in a frame; if it were a photograph, it would suit best in a thin, black border.

“I’m getting impatient...”

The fierce battle continues and you begin to tap your foot. The man never blinks.

“You win the contest, great work...stop staring at me now.*

You bring your arms, once rested casually at your sides, to your face, rubbing your eyes intensely. Opal tears run down your face, beads in the chandelier of the room – the mirror enhances the space of the area, accommodating a diamond-light of the highest carat.

You bring your arms back down and sigh. Raising your head, you begin to think about more important issues for the day ahead—

“Stop staring at me.”

You ensue biting your nails as you regain your eye-contact with the other man. Your peripheral vision begins to blur with a harsh vignette of the purest white, gradually fading in to the oceans of blue in the centre of the gladiator’s face. Anxiety takes you over.

Breaths getting shorter, you start to shout nervously at your combatant. A doppelganger, you decide.

“Why do you never leave this room? You are always here. You are always here...”

You commence a driven pace whilst tapping your head with your right hand. The other man follows you.

“Even when I close my eyes, you are here.” You pause in anticipation of a response. “Stop following me, and stop staring at me!”

You collapse onto the floor, quickly shuffling on your back into a corner of the room. Taking on the foetal position, you whisper a repeated phrase of reassurance to yourself.

27-Sep-2011 14:49:12 - Last edited on 28-Sep-2011 05:51:45 by Borna Coric

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

“Fine, but when I leave, you’re coming with me,” the man responds casually.

You don’t look back but you know he’s staring at you. You can see him in your head.

“No, no! Leave me alone!”

You persist with fearfully ejected phrases in your secluded position, words slurring further and further as the minutes go by.

“I won’t lose my sanity! The doctors, they talk about my sanity. They talk about me, they do. I won’t lose my sanity!”

Your continued nonsensical phrases evolve into murmurs of terror as you cower. You still shield your face from the man’s stare.

“Oh, my silly friend...you can’t lose what you never had in the first place.”

He smiles – you know he did. Your rope snaps.

You erupt in a blood-lusted scream, charging the man with a knife...the knife that now rests in your chest.

Lying in a pool of red, you look up at the entity above you.

“Stop staring at me,” he says with a smile.

He, too, collapses on the ground opposite you. Silence.

27-Sep-2011 14:49:23

Borna Coric

Borna Coric

A note for those who can't see the concept of the entry: it explores the mental instability of a man in a mental asylum, using a mirror as a vessel to dig further. The second person positions you to empathise better with him, conveying the emotional contrast more clearly and cleanly. As such, his reflection is the person that behaves against their character, seemingly moving independently. It is, of course, in his head.

Thank you, and good luck to everyone. :)

27-Sep-2011 15:07:05

Quick find code: 49-50-509-63216305 Back to Top