Forums

The Empty Lord

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Posts: 3,564 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Chapter Ten: The Living Tomb

The day was drawing to a close, the hot desert sun surrendering to the cool tranquility of night. The moon was large already in the darkening sky; in a day or two it would be full. The city of Khaseph's torches were the only light on the calm basin, and they were exceptionally bright this evening.
"Hurry up, Ashan!" called out a man from the top of a nearby hill. "We're almost to Khaseph, and I want to get to an inn!"
"We've been traveling for days!" the much older traveler, Ashan, replied, dragging along up the hill. "You've got young legs, Khaba, and I'm stuck with these brittle things! Wait on your elders!"
While he waited for Ashan to stumble up the final hill, Khaba looked with longing at the city ahead of them. He couldn't help but notice a growing flame in the center of the city. "Papa?" the boy asked quietly. "What's going on?"
Ashan finally got to the crest of the hill, and, leaning on his walking stick, gazed at the blaze. "That looks like it's coming from the Palace!" he exclaimed.
"The Palace? Who's burning the Palace?"
There were loud shouts coming from the city, echoing through the silence. "This is bad," Ashan whispered. "Something's definitely not right."
"Look, Papa!" called Khaba. He pointed to the gateway of the city, and there was a cloaked man on horseback coming down the trail toward them.
"Stand aside, Khaba!" barked Ashan, pulling his son off to the side of the path. The man did not stop to acknowledge them, he just kept racing forward.
These travelers, however, had gotten a glimpse under his hood. "Was that...?" asked Khaba.
"I think it was," was Ashan's response.
Why the man was leaving, they did not know. However, they knew one thing for certain, just from the haste from which he fled the chaos in Khaseph. This new rider, fallen from grace, was leaving his Palace for the final time.
-------------------------------------------

23-Jul-2009 05:18:17

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Posts: 3,564 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The morning was quiet in Senntisten. Breakfast was being served in the Palace Hall, with Zamorak taking the central seat beside Esther, leaving his own seat vacant. However, as he was halfway through the meal, Ruari burst into the hall. "Emperor Zaros!" he gasped, having run all the way from the gates. "He has returned!"
Zamorak stood up and walked with Ruari. Esther and Calina lit up. "Daddy's home!" Calina cheered, and Esther patted her daughter on the shoulder.
Ruari led the General to the Entrance Hall of the Palace, where he made it just in time to greet Zaros, Azzanadra, and Sliske as they strode swiftly through the double doors.
"My Lord," Zamorak said, going to one knee.
"My friend," Zaros replied, a smile across his face. "Get on your feet." Zamorak stood, and Zaros embraced him tightly.
"How have things been?" Zaros asked, walking for the Hall. Zamorak joined the group. "I want a full report."
"Of course, Emperor. Perhaps after breakfast."
"Sounds like a plan!" Zaros replied. He was in a cheerful mood this morning.
Zaros opened the doors to the dining chamber. "Esther," he said softly. "Calina."
He walked up the aise toward the head table, where his family sat. Calina squealed and ran to meet him, and Zaros grabbed her and hoisted her up to his shoulder. He carried her up to her mother, and he kissed Esther firmly. "I'm sorry," he said. "I'm back for good this time."
Esther smiled. "I hope so."
Zaros resumed his place of honor beside his wife, for the first time in weeks tasting the food of his home.
----------------------------------------------
After breakfast had ended, Zaros walked off with Azzanadra and Zamorak into the conference room. Akthanakos, Sliske, Zemouregal, Viggora, Mesta, and Ruari joined them.
"Well, what's happened in our absence?" asked Azzanadra.
Zamorak sighed. "Well, I'll start with it, I suppose... My Lord, several nights ago, King Amsca of Khaseph was assassinated."

23-Jul-2009 05:50:02

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303 Back to Top