Forums

The Empty Lord

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Posts: 3,564 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The scene went black, and then suddenly a rush of color came flooding back. Zaros was looking up into the sky; he recognized the gray sky of Freneskae above him. Two figures stood over him, and he realized with a shock that they were Xinadi.
Zaros reacted quickly, pulling his sword from within his robes. He was about to strike them down when he heard Azzanadra bark, “Stop!”
Zaros looked to his side, and, beyond the Xinadi, stood Azzanadra and Sliske, unharmed. “What’s going on here?” Zaros asked.
“These Xinadi are friends,” Sliske explained. “They saved us and chased away that other one.”
‘Allow me to explain,’ said one of the Xinadi through his telepathy. ‘I am Thega, a third class warlock of the Lora tribe. We Xinadi are grouped into such tribes all throughout our region, and you can identify a Xinadi by the color of their rings.’
Zaros took a closer look and noticed that the rings around the heads of these two Xinadi were green, as opposed to the gray rings of the former enemy Xinadi.
"So you saved us from that other one?" Zaros asked.
Thega nodded. 'He is Koelthaer, of the Tagan tribe. He is known far and wide as a Xijura, a warlock of the highest calibur. It was all we could do to force him to flee.'
Azzanadra nodded. "You did well," he said.
"But what happened to us?" asked Zaros. "Suddenly everything went black and I saw hallucinations!"
'Koelthaer hit you with a very powerful mental attack. However, instead of pain, he inflicted you with visions to incapacitate you. He was approaching your fallen bodies to finish the job even as we arrived.'
"We were wondering about you," Sliske added, "because you did not reawaken when Koelthaer fled like we did. What did you see?"
"Nothing," Zaros replied quickly. Azzanadra could tell he was hiding something, but he inquired no further.
"Where is your tribe?" asked Zaros.
'Ah, of course!' Thega exclaimed. 'Come, we must return to the village at once!'

06-May-2009 03:43:47

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

The two Xinadi led Zaros, Azzanadra, and Sliske over the rocky hills of their lands. The day passed quickly, and soon, the sky was darkening. "Should we camp?" asked Azzanadra.
"No," replied Thega. "We're a hill or two away."
Sure enough, within minutes the group was looking at a small collection of huts nestled among the rolling hills. 'This,' Thega announced, 'is our home, the city of Lora. It is good that we returned so quickly; he wanted you as soon as possible, Zaros.'
"Who's he?" asked Zaros.
'He is known as the Green Lord of the Xinadi. He is an outsider who appeared many years ago, claiming to be the reincarnation of a refugee from far across Freneskae. He claims he used to be called Tsugon.'
Zaros's ears perked up. "We found him," he muttered to Azzanadra.
Azzanadra nodded. "Actually, he sought you out," he explained. "I wonder what drove him to do that..."
Zaros dropped his head in thought. "I'm not sure," he replied.
"How did he even know we were here?" Sliske asked, interjecting.
"It doesn't make much sense," Azzanadra replied. "I mean, we left as soon as Lord Zaros asked us. And there's no way a message would have gotten here faster than us."
"I know how it happened," Zaros said suddenly, his face sullen.
"What?"
"It was Ihrba*ka," Zaros replied. "It was who it always is."
Azzanadra nodded. "I agree. Ihrba*ka wanted us to come here. But why?"
That, Zaros couldn't answer. Thega led the group down from their hilltop vantage point into the small valley of the city of Lora. It was a surreal moment when all the Xinadi of the Lora tribe met the travelers at the gate. Zaros was a bit unsettled by the sight of the faceless greeting party. However, he marveled at how normal their clothing and homes looked. Except for the physical and cultural differences, these Xinadi were very similar to the humans from Zaros's world.

08-May-2009 05:19:45

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

'They are interested,' Thega said, a hint of amusement in his voice. 'Outlanders do not come here; the last was the Green Lord. You are odd visitors.'
"Uhh, thanks?" said Zaros, unsure how to react.
"So this Green Lord lives here with you?" asked Azzanadra.
'Not here, no,' Thega replied. 'He resides in the hills, as his way of staying away from our affairs. However, he is allied to the Lora tribe, and we can always call upon him in times of dire need.'
Zaros looked off to the hills. "Tsugon," he whispered.
'Come here,' Thega continued. 'Our chief, Souga, shall be your host tonight.'
Thega led the group into the largest hut in the center of the village. The inside was adorned in the same manner as Amsca's palace. However, instead of gold, the metal of choice was silver. Murals covered the sides of the hut, and the floor was a colorful mosaic, with the dominant hue of green, matching the colors of the Lora. A silver throne sat in the exact center of the room, and on it, draped in an emerald robe, sat another Xinadi.
'Welcome, outlanders,' Souga said, rising from his seat as they entered. 'Esteemed guests of the Green Lord, please use my home as your own.'
Zaros bowed his head before the ruler. "Thank you, Lord Souga," he said. "We appreciate the hospitality."
'Of course. Thega, you may stay for dinner as well. Good work in bringing them to me.'
Thega bowed as well, and then he walked over to the side of the room, where a table was set. "They're ready for us," Sliske remarked, as he took his seat.
'Thega announced from a distance that you were approaching,' Souga explained. 'That is a useful power of ours, no? We can use our telepathy to communicate over long distances.'
Azzanadra nodded. "That's quite a power. What is your range?"
'About a mile, give or take a few feet,' Thega replied. 'It depends on the skill of the Xinadi using the technique.'

12-May-2009 04:11:18

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303 Back to Top