The Empty Lord

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Posts: 3,564 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Part Two: An Empire Falls
---------------------------

Chapter Six: Faceless
Zaros walked out onto the silent balcony overlooking the city. His regal robe fluttered in the wind in the slight wind that was blowing across the palace. Zaros rose to the plinith in the center of the balcony, his dark eyes looking down at the people. Most of the people in Senntisten were standing in the square below, staring up at their King. In earlier days, Zaros would have been greeted with tumultuous applause. However, the times had changed.
Zaros looked into the eyes of his subjects, and he saw the fear in each face. Each one was concerned for their families, their livelihoods, and especially for their lives in the presence of the faceless demons waiting beyond the Empire's control.
Zaros bit his lip. He couldn't show any fear of his own, or their fears would be realized. He had to act as though everything was going well. He glanced to his side. Kuura was standing guard on the balcony about ten feet away from him. Akthanakos was in the crowd somewhere, and Spyridon was out of sight, watching. Zaros was safe, even out in the open.
"People of Senntisten," Zaros began. "You have all gathered because you are curious. Because you are scared. As you know, we live in troubled times. Enemies exist outside our control that threaten to destroy our way of life. I and my associates are doing all we can at the current time to keep the people safe. However, it seems that our efforts are in vain."
The people were silent, hanging on every word that Zaros uttered. "They are not attacking you. They instead target us, the leaders. Several governors have died at their hands. It is better for us than for you, but we will not accept these casualties. We can be defended."
The people began to look somewhat heartened, not completely reassured. "I have taken the appropriate measures to make sure they are killed. In fact, my team should be arriving at the enemy base shortly."

16-Sep-2008 04:07:21

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303 Back to Top