Forums

The Empty Lord

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Posts: 3,564 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"I'll need canteens then," Zaros said to Azzanadra.
"Canteens?" asked Zamorak. "Surely you aren't-"
"I'm going to Freneskae," Zaros replied, cutting him off.
Zamorak looked stunned. "Why? The Empire is in enough danger without its Emperor traipsing off into the Mahjarrats' laps!"
"I'm leaving you in charge while I'm gone," Zaros continued, unaffected by Zamorak's outburst. Zamorak stopped instantly.
"Me?"
"I think you can lead well in my stead."
"What about me, my Lord?" asked Azzanadra. "Surely I-"
Zaros waved his hand. "I am not saying that you are unfit to lead, my friend. You are coming with me."
Azzanadra nodded. "Yes, my Lord."
"So," said Zamorak, his head bowed, "you believe that I am both skillful and trustworthy enough to rule?"
Zaros nodded. "In that case," Zamorak continued, "why have you not seen fit to bestow upon me the Mantle of Divinity."
"I-"
"I received the same god training as you. Master Armadyl saw fit to train me; it seems a huge waste for me never to ascend to that level."
"My friend," Zaros replied, his face strained. "The gift is not mine to give."
"Armadyl gave it to you to do with as you please!"
"Even so, it seems to me a great affront to give out his gift against his wishes. He did not believe you were ready, and he still has those feelings."
"Tell him that-"
"You will be the one to do that. Show him by ruling well, and he will reconsider. Just be aware that he is watching with interest."
Zamorak tried to find something to say, but in the end he just bowed his head. "Yes, my Lord."
Zaros turned to Azzanadra. "What is the fastest way to Freneskae?" he asked.
"Well, since we destroyed the gate near Ikov, the only other sure one is south of Kharid, probably near Icthlarin's Mahjarrat Temple. That's a good two weeks trip from here."
Zaros scowled. "There are no other portals, then?"
"There are rumors of a rift in the North Sea, but only just rumors."
"We'll go to Ghorrock and search. Notify Lycurgus."

26-Nov-2008 05:54:40

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

"We're just going to randomly scan the entire ocean?" asked Azzanadra with incredulity.
"You have instruments that can detect magical reactions, don't you?"
"Some. Why?"
"You'll see. Bring them along. I'm going down to wait for the autopsy results. Find out who among my servants is best acquainted with Freneskae and report to me."
"Yes, Lord."
------------------------------------
Zaros sat calmly on a plush couch in a small lounge of his palace. It was rare, especially these days, that he received a moment of silence, and he soaked in every peaceful second.
A door creaked from behind him, and Esther, dressed in a beautiful gown of turquoise fabric, walked over to him. "Esther," Zaros sighed, a smile leaping onto his face. He got up and embraced her warmly.
"I was so scared," Esther replied, and Zaros noted that she was sobbing.
"It's alright," Zaros replied. "It'll take more than that to bring me down."
"But the thought that someone as close to you as Kuura was-"
"Kuura was only one, Esther. Believe me, I will not lower my guard like I did anymore. I want what is best for all of us. If the time comes, I want you and Calina to flee."
"Flee? We'll never leave you!"
Zaros grabbed her shoulders and brought her face to his. "I will not allow my politics to cost you or Calina your lives! If the Sons attack, use the secret tunnels and get yourselves out. Try your best to get to Kharid; Amsca will grant you safety."
"We will." Esther replied. "Why do you speak of this?"
Zaros looked away. "I'm leaving. An important mission has arisen, and I will not be around for a while. You will have to take care of Calina should something happen while I am away."
"Where are you going?"
"It's not important. But I'll be safe, and I'll come back alive. You have my word."
Esther smiled. "I know. You always come back to us." She turned back to the doorway. "I have to get back to Calina. Will you come say goodbye to her?"
"Of course."

27-Nov-2008 05:06:10

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Esther walked back out of the room and shut the door, leaving Zaros alone again. The Emperor waited around for several hours more before Yudina emerged from her infirmary to face him. "My Lord," she said, bowing.
Zaros nodded. Yudina was a human girl from Dareeyak, the neice of Zaros's old friend Ulrich. Ulrich had recommended her as the Palace Doctor, and Zaros had found his statements correct. She took care of all Zaros's staff, human or Mahjarrat, with nearly perfect accuracy. She was one of the few of Zaros's employees that could be depended upon at all times.
Yudina shook her head. "I don't know what to tell you, my Lord," she said glumly.
"What do you mean?"
"My autopsy is horribly inconclusive. This thing's insides are like nothing I've ever seen. I guess the closest I've ever encountered is in a Mahjarrat, but what you gave me has no digestive or respiratory systems, and it appears to have three different circulatory systems. The only thing it has that I can readily identify is the brain, which has about five additional lobes that humans do not."
Zaros nodded. "Thanks, Yudina."
Yudina was taken aback. "I couldn't tell you anything!"
Zaros smiled. "You told me several things that I needed to know. You can keep the body; if you get bored you can study it further and try to understand it." Zaros got up and left the room, going back upstairs.
"Um, thank you, Lord Zaros," Yudina replied, puzzled.
------------------------------------------
Zaros arrived back at Azzanadr*'s room, his pack ready to go. He had prepared for every eventuality, praying that nothing unsuspected would go wrong. He walked in, and Azzanadra was there. "My Lord," Azzanadra said.
"Do we have a third member of our group?" Zaros asked.
"Yes, we do. Sliske is coming with us. He is waiting for us in Ghorrock."
"He is familiar with Freneskae?"
"Very much so."
Zaros nodded. "Good. Let's go then."
Azzanadra grabbed onto Zaros's sleeve, and they vanished.

27-Nov-2008 05:38:55

Quick find code: 49-50-445-56488303 Back to Top