Forums

Clash of the Incarnations

Quick find code: 49-50-417-59988625

[#45SO12LQO]

[#45SO12LQO]

Posts: 1,182 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
bump :)

"His eyes darkened, and Daigan dropped the body to the ground"

Dropped? Not realled the right word to me.

"His eyes darkened, and Daigan took a tentative step back, still firmly gripping the dagger, and watched the body crumple, an empty shell, under its own weight."

I think the weight would have been on him but to me I imagine him as you see here supporting but not holding the body, do you? So that when he steps back the body crumples but in the word drops it implys he was holding it up. I see the boy toppling or crumpling.

09-Jan-2010 23:58:34 - Last edited on 10-Jan-2010 00:11:12 by [#45SO12LQO]

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Posts: 3,564 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Chapter Two: The Hunter and the Sage

The sky was dark in the silence of the night. The curtain of night shrouded the Wilderness less that evening, as the entire world felt brighter than it had been. The events of the past few weeks had lifted the heavy darkness in the Wilderness; now, the fear in these lands were for the straggling masses of Zamorakans. The forces of Zamorak had lost their Dark Lord, and now they were disorganized and defeated.

Anyone wandering the Wilderness that night would be surprised at what they would see. An old man walked silently across the gray soil alone. He walked purposefully along the wild paths of the Wilderness. His face was covered by a dark hood and cloak, which camouflaged him with the dark Wilderness scenery. He moved with purpose and power; it was as though he knew exactly where his target would be.

The strange man crossed over a hill, and then he saw what he was looking for. On the crest of another hill sat a campfire, with a lone man sitting beside it. The man lay on the cold soil, but he stirred when he saw the new stranger approaching. The man by the campfire wore white and purple robes, accented by his long white hair. He was an old man, but his wrinkled face showed a fire to defend himself from the arrival.

The stranger did nothing except walk over to the campfire and sit beside it. The old man eyed him keenly, waiting for him to make a move.

“How are you, Zharoun?” asked the stranger.

The old man was taken aback. “You know me? Maybe if you lower your hood, I would recognize you as well.”

The stranger smiled. Then, he lowered his hood to reveal a young, pale face. He had short brown hair and a very odd feature: vivid purple eyes.

“Well, so much for that,” Zharoun added. “I have no idea who you are.”

“I would have been shocked if you did,” the stranger replied. “We have never met.”

“So what makes you think you can come up to my campfire?”

15-Jan-2010 01:28:30 - Last edited on 15-Jan-2010 01:35:23 by [#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

“Well, I knew you would invite me when I told you my name, so I skipped that step.”

Zharoun was blown away by the audacity of this young stranger. “Well, now you’re here uninvited, and I don’t know your name. You skipped a pretty critical step.”

The young man chuckled. *I love that look on your face. The Great Sage of Trollweiss being addressed that way by a kid?! I can’t wait for your face when you realize that I am infinitely older even than you!”

Zharoun’s eyes widened. “What are you? A Mahjarrat?”

“Nothing like that,” the man replied. “I am superior even to the Mahjarrat. I am a god of Gielinor.”

Zharoun was surprised for a moment, and then it all came to him. “Ah, I see. I*** heard quite a bit about you. You must be Ihrba*ka.”

“Astute as always, my dear Sage.*

*I thought you preferred to appear as a genie. You finally tired of that?”

“It is a new day, Zharoun. Therefore, it deserves a new face.”

The campfire crackled before them. Zharoun finally relaxed, lying back as he had before.

“It is odd to find you out here,” Ihrba*ka continued. “I would expect you to be back in Falador, cheering with the rest of them. It’s not every day that Zamorak’s Dark Lord gets overthrown.”

Zharoun’s face darkened. “I’m fine. I was at the battle, and I left. They did*’t need me anymore. Plus, I have things I must do, and the Wilderness has never been safer than now, thanks to the silver dragon.”

Ihrba*ka nodded. “Yes, it is a bright new day. One would wonder why you aren’t taking part in the festivities.”

Zharoun did not answer. “You will not find what you seek out here,” Ihrba*ka finished.

“What?”

“You seek the resting place of the sword, correct? It is not here.”

“Where is it?”

Ihrba*ka shook his head. “You are not meant to recover it yet.”

“I’m old, Ihrba*ka! I don’t have much time left.”

The god smiled. “You will have time. I have seen a very long life for you. How old are you now?*

15-Jan-2010 01:29:18 - Last edited on 15-Jan-2010 01:36:10 by [#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

“Eighty-four,” the Sage replied.

“You’ll live to a hundred and fifty.”

“Impossible!”

“I have seen it,” Ihrba*ka replied matter-of-factly. “You will have an exceptionally long life, and it will give you the chance you seek. The chance to make up for past…mistakes.”

Zharoun lowered his gaze. “That’s why you did*’t fight at his palace, wasn’t it?” Ihrba*ka continued. “You couldn’t face him again.”

“Don’t do this to me, Ihrba*ka,” Zharoun pleaded.

“I could tell you, you know. I can see the parallel tracks of time; I know what would have happened if you had taken him with you.”

“Shut up!”

“You do not want this knowledge?”

Tears were brimming at Zharoun’s eyes. “I…I can’t bear it now.*

*You will have a chance to make up for it. One day, you will find a boy that you can save. He will lead you to all that you seek.*

*I’ve heard the stories about you,” Zharoun replied.

Ihrba*ka scowled. “I did what I had to do then. Zaros’s misfortune will not be your own.”

Zharoun sat in thought, contemplating Ihrba*ka’s message. “When will I meet this boy?”

“You will know when you see him. He will resemble very closely the god that you serve.”

“I do not know what Zaros looked like!”

“Not in his physical form, but you know enough about him to spot the difference.”

The fire crackled between them as silence fell once again. Zharoun was deep in thought; it is an odd moment when a person is told his future. A very long future, even.

“Is this all you do?” Zharoun asked suddenly. “Go around and tell people what is to come?”

“Indeed. I do more, but nothing interesting. Time is my domain; I can be anywhere and at any time it exists. And, sadly, I know all the ramifications of any action or choice. Which returns me to my earlier invitation…”

“I still will not listen to you.”

Ihrba*ka nodded. “Then you choose ignorance over the possibility of remorse. My dear Sage, you are very much human.”

“More so than most believe,” Zharoun replied solemnly.

15-Jan-2010 01:30:50 - Last edited on 15-Jan-2010 01:37:57 by [#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Ihrba*ka got to his feet. “I must go; I admit it was pleasant having a conversation with mortals again, but I have elsewhere to be.”

“Gods a bit tougher to get along with?”

“Undoubtedly. I’m going back to Celestos now. Perhaps, we shall meet again.”

“Perhaps.”

Ihrba*ka threw his hood back on, and then he walked away from the campfire. As he passed from its light into the shadows of the Wilderness beyond, the god melted away into the darkness. He vanished from Gielinor, leaving Zharoun sitting alone in the deep land of Zamorak. Sixty years would pass before Zharoun found the boy he was looking for.

---------------

The forest was quiet that night, but the terror that pounded in Daigan’s heart was a thunderous earthquake, tearing his spirit with vast fissures. Daigan careened through the trees, putting as much distance between his home and himself as he could. It was obvious that lawmen from Edgeville would soon be at his old house looking for him. Then, when they realized he wasn’t there, the search would commence.

The woods were ethereal on this night, with phantoms of Daigan’s mind leaping between the trees. The moonlight cut through the canopy of limbs and branches overhead, leaking silver light down to the muddy forest floor. The pale face of Randall Malden was etched in the trunk of every tree, and guards of Edgeville lurked in every shadow.

Daigan finally stopped running. He had made a long escape, and now he was lost in the woods southwest of Edgeville. This place was unfamiliar; Daigan had never cut in this area. He stopped, panting, and leaned against a nearby oak.

Suddenly, the tears began to fall. Daigan roared in pain and anger, striking the side of the tree with his clenched fist. All for that terrible rage, he had lost everything. His family, his home, and his life were all destroyed. Plus, something else lurked within his twisted mind. Daigan felt fear oozing like sludge in his being.

15-Jan-2010 01:31:39 - Last edited on 15-Jan-2010 01:39:22 by [#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

He had killed a man in cold blood, all for some insults and a stupid fight. And, as he had pressed the bronze dagger into Randall Malden’s still beating heart, the rush of hatred and malice felt natural. He was truly a killer at heart.

Daigan slumped to the ground at the base of the tree, his legs no longer able to hold him up. His body was limp, and his mind almost lost the will to sustain his life. Daigan pulled the bronze dagger from a small hilt at his belt. It still had some of Randall’s blood dried on it. The blade felt heavy in his hand, and even heavier was the burden on his heart. Daigan toyed with the blade, his decision raging like a storm within his being. All it would take was one quick cut. It may not be that painful. Whatever the case, it was a punishment that he deserved; a recreation of his evil act.

His arm trembled as he held the dagger closer to his exposed neck. His body would lay here, untouched by others. No one would find him before wild animals got to him. As he played the scenario through his head, Daigan’s mind rejected it vehemently. He dropped the dagger into the grass at his feet. He couldn’t do it.

Daigan reclined his head against the rough bark of the tree. The night was suffocating, causing Daigan to gasp for breath. He was covered in the sheer weight of events, the end of his old life bearing down upon his lungs. Daigan’s mind swam with thoughts, feelings, and desires, none of which seemed anywhere close.

Before he knew it, Daigan was crying further. His breath was rapid and uncontrollable, and sweat began to pour from his body. He realized that something strange was happening, but he could not contain the welling emotion that tore through him. A firestorm of self-loathing and pain churned away in his soul, sending reverberations throughout his entire being.

The panic gripped Daigan completely, and it reached its crescendo. At once, Daigan fainted, his limp body falling to the forest floor.

15-Jan-2010 01:32:06 - Last edited on 15-Jan-2010 01:43:55 by [#5AGSIZET9]

Quick find code: 49-50-417-59988625 Back to Top