Forums

Clash of the Incarnations

Quick find code: 49-50-417-59988625

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Posts: 3,564 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The shadows in his heart stretched throughout his entire body, and paralyzed his legs. He felt the shock rising once again like sickening bile in his throat.

Excusing himself from the fire, Daigan moved over to the spot at the edge of the clearing that Artemis had set aside to sleep in. Daigan plopped roughly onto the thin blanket, his face driven into the cheap cloth. He would lay there for hours beneath the sky, unable to sleep from his mind racing faster than the starlight coming down to the earth.

----------

The fire still crackled, but Daigan was alone in the clearing to hear it. Zharoun had slipped away into the dark woods without a sound, and soon he made his way through the thick brush. He scanned the forest ahead of him, but he could not find her. She could not have gone far.

Then, he spied her. Artemis was sitting high on the branches of a nearby oak tree, gazing up at the moon. The summer moon was full on this night, and the moonlight bathed the treetop canopy in silver. Artemis’s face was glistening, a mix of tears and silver moonbeams.

“Artemis,” Zharoun said, and the girl closed her eyes.

*What is it, Sage?” she asked.

“You helped me through my horrible memories. Now, I must return the favor.”

Aremis did not answer, and Zharoun took off at a dead sprint toward the tree. He leapt, catching himself on the trunk and climbing rapidly. He reached a limb close to Artemis’s and sat there.

“You’re pretty nimble for an old guy,” Artemis said, the faintest smile inching onto her face.

“I try,” Zharoun replied. Then, he looked straight into the girl’s face. “I understand that he upset you.”

Artemis turned her face. “My parents were slaughtered by goblins,” she replied. “I’ve heard the stories, you know. I know what happened to them in their final hours, the poor tools in the bloody ritual.”

“Goblins are barbaric creatures.”

16-Mar-2010 03:42:03

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

“And even then, I was angry. I was angry at the goblins for killing them, and I wanted vengeance ever since I was old enough to hear what had happened. But* then when I came out here, I couldn’t do it.”

“Of course you couldn’t,” Zharoun replied. “You are a remarkable creature.”

“What?”

“You are a person that is immune from hate. Daigan was right about you; you are a pure soul.”

Artemis scowled. “I knew you would side with him.”

She tried to jump over the limb, but Zharoun reached over and caught her arm with a powerful grip. “I am not siding with him,” the Sage replied. “You have felt hatred, but you have suppressed it. Your soul is your own, and you do not feel the burning pangs of hatred like Daigan does.*

*I thought I knew him. I don’t know what I felt, but when we met, I thought he was…different. I thought he was like me.”

“He is,” Zharoun responded. “You are both good people; far too good to be in a world such as this. He has just made a mistake and lost his way. Someday, he will make peace with himself and return to the light. Please, believe in him until that day. Take my word for it: he is not evil.”

“I wish I could believe you, Zharoun,” Artemis replied with a sigh. “I really wish I could just forget about it all.”

“That seems to be a very common occurrence in these woods tonight,” Zharoun replied. Then, he jumped over the side of the tree. He landed gracefully on the forest floor, and then he began walking away back towards the camp, leaving Artemis alone in the treetop.

16-Mar-2010 03:42:31

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Thanks guys! Adds are a little slow at the moment; a lot of things jumped out at me all at once here, so I've had little time, and that probably won't change this week. I do have some writing though, so look for adds possibly early next week. Until next time! :)

31-Mar-2010 22:56:18

M3mentoMori

M3mentoMori

Posts: 255 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's OK Riekan. Use your mad ninja skills to kick those 'things' back where they came from!

EDIT: I gots a new siggy!!

;;;;:::... .... *,******.....::;;;M3mëñtöMörï;;;::.....¸•**•›,¸.........:::;;;;
ˆ°*•›,¸¸,‹•**•¸®€/¥\€/¥\߀®, ¥øµ /Y\(_)§† Ї긕**•›,¸¸,‹•*°ˆ
¸¸,‹•**•›,¸¸¸,‹ˆ;:.. • ..:;*•¸.::.¸•*ˆ*•¸•*ˆ*•¸.::.¸•*;:. • ..:;ˆ›,¸¸¸,‹•**•›,¸¸
;;;;:::... . ˆ*•›,¸¸,‹ˆ..::;;::..°»„¸¸¸„«ˆ»„¸¸¸„«°..::;;::..ˆ›,¸¸,‹•*ˆ . ...:::;;;

02-Apr-2010 06:39:12 - Last edited on 03-Apr-2010 06:45:07 by M3mentoMori

[#45SO12LQO]

[#45SO12LQO]

Posts: 1,182 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"Adds are a little slow at the moment; a lot of things jumped out at me all at once"

Did you forget to tie them down again? Honestly, remember always bind their wrists and ankles with gaffa tape so they can't move or alternatively just chop their feet off altogether...

06-Apr-2010 21:36:41

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

The next thing Daigan knew, he was being shaken. He opened his eyes, and he saw that Zharoun was kneeling beside him, shaking him. “Time to get going,” Zharoun said, and Daigan got to his feet. The sun had already risen, and the morning light was shining through the woods.

Daigan looked over by the fire, and he was shocked to see Artemis standing there. Her look was blank, and she did not even acknowledge that Daigan was there. “Let’s move,” she said, and then she started walking impatiently toward the edge of the clearing to the south.

Zharoun sighed. “Come along, Daigan.”

The Sage gave Daigan a piece of bread to eat as they walked, and the two followed Artemis into the trees. The walk through the woods was a long, slow one. No one spoke for hours, and Daigan could not get up the courage to say a word to Artemis. Not like he could talk with her even if he tried: she stayed a good fifteen feet ahead of him at all times.

Finally, the group reached the edge of the forest, and the world opened up before them. Green rolling hills extended across the horizon, and the River Lum wound its way to their left, in the east. Zharoun spotted the worn path before them.

“This is the main road,” he said. “This is the path that connects Falador to Varrock.”

He and Daigan followed Artemis out to the path, and the hunter turned back around. “This is where I leave you guys,” she said, smiling at Zharoun. “It’s been fun.”

“You are sure you want to remain here?” the Sage replied.

“I have to. There’s someone in Edgeville I have to take care of.”

“Then farewell, Artemis,” Zharoun said with a bow. “Till we meet again.”

Artemis nodded. She turned, and without looking at Daigan, began to return to the trees. Zharoun frowned, and the fire burned once again inside Daigan.

"Well?" Daigan said sharply.

09-Apr-2010 00:53:58

Quick find code: 49-50-417-59988625 Back to Top