XP=You dead after a pie tin kills you!

Black: 1, Mazed: 0

-BlackDaNoob-

11-Aug-2010 17:19:56

[#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

Posts: 2,868 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Chapter 10

Rhody was still talking to the man in the corner, and since he probably wouldn't take too kindly to Alex eavesdropping, Alex sat down at the bar. He was bored, but even though Hope looked bored as well, he couldn't just go over and talk to her. That would make him seem too desperate. Afterall, they did just have that short, awkward exchange of words a few minutes beforehand. So, for the remaining hour Rhody and the moping guard conversed, Alex sat alone at the bar.

Bar offered him a drink a couple of times, but Alex refused. "Aw, c'mon boy. It's only two coins. Real cheap."

"Bart, sir," Alex started. "I can't drink. It's not that I don't want to - I'm sure your ale is great. It's just that I'm underage."

"You sure?"

"Yes. Yes, I'm sure."

Bart shrugged and went back to polishing the beer glasses around him. "Suit yourself, mate."

With Rhody still talking with the moping guard - actually he was laughing and ordering another round of drinks - Alex went back to twidling his thumbs and occasionally glancing at Hope. She still sat boredly by herself and gazed at the door, more intently as the minutes clicked by. She only touched her drink once, and that was to sip a bit of foam off the top. A disgusted expression crossed her face, and she pushed the beverage a bit farther away.

Alex was trying to figure out why she ordered a drink she wasn't going to consume when someone entered the pub. Since it was a bar, people entering wasn't all that surprising, but this someone, a man, didn't stop to look around. Quickly, gracefully to be honest, he made his way across the room...to Hope's table.

When she jumped up and kissed the mysterious man on the cheek, Alex frowned. The two exchanged words - Alex sat too far away to hear - before Hope returned to her seat and pushed her drink to the new man. He accepted it graciously and downed it quickly.

12-Aug-2010 04:11:56 - Last edited on 30-Dec-2010 00:13:17 by [#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

The man sat and glanced about the room. His gaze caught Alex's for a moment. Alex felt uncomfortable and looked away, but the man leaned across the table to Hope and whispered something while pointing to Alex. Hope just laughed and swatted at the man's hand. She said something which caused him to chortle as well, and the man leaned back and lost all thought of Alex.

As they went back to talking, Alex's small twinge of jealousy - shortly replaced by the uncomfortable feeling he felt earlier - returned and continued to poke him in the abdomen. He was forced to glace back at Rhody. The moping guard in the corner was now fishing around in his pocket as Rhody waited patiently. Obviously, they were making progress when it came to aquiring new customers.

Bored with that, Alex went back to staring at Hope and her mysterious male friend. Both of them were now standing and talking mroe intently than before. He pulled something from just jacket pocket and handed it to Hope. It was a small, white package definitly filled with something. She glanced at the contents for a moment - Alex was unable to see bacause of his awkward positioning - smiled, kissed the mysterious stranger on the cheek one last time, and turned to make her way up the stairs to the inn. The man left, and Alex sat back on his bar stool feeling oddly unfulfilled. What was in the package he game to Hope, and why did he give it to her? More importantly, who was he?

The bartender offered Alex another drink. "Want a cold one, boy?"

"No, Bart. I don't want a 'cold one' or a 'warm one' or anything inbetween. Please don't ask again."

Bart shrugged and walked away to help a waiting customer.

Alex jumped when, out of nowhere, he was slapped on the back. It was Rhody, quite obviously. He was smiling and holding a bag of coins. "Alright, my boy, let's get a move on."

12-Aug-2010 04:20:35 - Last edited on 05-Jan-2011 00:53:47 by [#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

Just as Alex stood and was about to make his way to the door, the drunken man from the corner staggered up to Rhody. "You," he paused to hiccup, "you, are a good, good man. You...you do great things, Claude."

Rhody smiled. "Thanks, Have you met my boy? This is my son, Mathias."

The drunk guard hiccuped. "Mathias? Good, good name. My wife, she's going to have a baby. Might name it Mathias."

"Great," Rhody patted the man on the shoulder. "You make it home okay, alright?"

The man slurred, "Yesh."

"Good boy," Rhody nodded. And with that, he left the bar, Dragging Alex behind him. They walked back around the back of the pub, where they entered the back room and changed back out of their suits and into their original outfits.

"Now," Rhody started. "Since I hate it when you ask questions, I'm just goign to tell you. When working with clients, my name is Claudius Verchow instead of Rhodedendrum Basil. You're my son, Mathias Verchow. You're seventeen, and I'm fifty. We live in Ardounge but travel to this area frequently on business. You're an only child and your mother died in childbirth."

Alex stared blankly as Rhody spoke. "What?"

"We need seperate identities. Just like Elizabeth. We can't let the guards come hunting us down, now, can we?"

"We're- We're really going to get this into it?"

"Alex?"

"Yes?"

Rhody smiled again. "I spent a month building a house in Argounge that the Verchow family lives in. Yes. Yes, we're getting this far into it."

12-Aug-2010 04:26:53 - Last edited on 05-Jan-2011 00:52:49 by [#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you. :)

Sorry that it wasn't very long; this is one of the chapters I wrote on my trip. They all look longer in my notebook.

I have another chapter to add, and I'll get around to posting it today.

~Reegena
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12-Aug-2010 13:41:54 - Last edited on 12-Aug-2010 13:43:13 by [#BPN2TQMFI]

Quick find code: 49-50-387-60195456 Back to Top