Forums

Lunar Eclipse

Quick find code: 49-50-305-56396878

Yrolg

Yrolg

Posts: 25,296 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Human beings rely on several key and fundamental components of the world, regardless of the vehement stories telling otherwise, to survive. At the core of these bases for human life is a constant: the need for patterns, regulars, and a sense of normal.
We need a schedule upon which we might plan, a pattern upon which we might improve, a deductive path upon which we might trod. We, as humans, need the assurance that all will be right; all will follow the path we’ve laid out for ourselves.
It is upon this need for habit that our societies, regardless of their individual differences, are founded. We have the arts to express these great regularities, governments to ensure that the day is not faulted, and that, indeed, everything goes to plan, churches to ensure that our plans extend not only to the end of the day, or the end our life, but to give us hope that they will extend to the end of time, and science, consoling us with the knowledge that the universe is in compliance with our systems.
Repetition being the foundation of humanity, it is ever greater an impact when a break in the system, a discoloration upon the tapestry of the world, occurs; when the ordinary is no more, and our plans are put astray.
Here is the story of one such incident.

26-Apr-2008 02:47:08 - Last edited on 10-Apr-2009 04:20:58 by Yrolg

Yrolg

Yrolg

It was a beautiful night – full moon pageanting in the sky, surrounded by torrents of jealous stars, trying in vain to outshine the deitous moon. Without clouds, and with a light, zephyresque breeze traipsing about a field, it was a perfect night for a hunt.
Centred within a field was a conglomeration of families, eagerly awaiting the hunt*s opening.
“Rasié always goes on and on! We’ve all heard this before. Shut up and let’s get on with it!” whispered one impatient child to a friend she’d brought along.
Her friend, who’d not heard the list of rules, and Code of Conduct before, vaguely nodded in an attempt to quell her friend, allowing her to almost hear the figure in the middle of the concentric participants finish her speech.
“Best of luck to … and take this last … this contest open!” Upon the completion of the spiel, the crowd erupted into a fierce mob, dragging each other to the centre of the field in an attempt to sign the official entry papers.
“Kestra, hurry up! I’ve signed up on slot 42, and I expect that all the slots will be filled, and the competition over by the time you get there – do pick up the pace.” The same girl was heard to again complain.
Kestra, however, was indeed able to sign up shortly thereafter, accompanying the near 100 other entrants into the competition.
After signing, each family and group escaped the maelstrom of people still signing up, catching the worst of spots, and audibly complaining about the system (intermittently accompanied by a row, as two people vied for the same spot), and eventually regrouped in a favourite location, dividing themselves in an attempt to win through strategy.

26-Apr-2008 02:47:18 - Last edited on 10-Mar-2009 20:16:42 by Yrolg

Yrolg

Yrolg

Mothers were heard warning their children, and an occasional spouse, about the penalties of cheating, whilst the children recited the universal looks of indifferent impatience, anxiously awaiting the light show which would signify the commencement of the competition. The parents eventually gave up, and they too waited for the bombastic display which would release them into an almost child-like naïveté, searching with their partner with an ignorant bliss they so often chastised their children for.
After each family had divided and moved onwards – each to their section of choice – the light show, at last, erupted into a magnificent imbroglio of lights and sparks. Applause and a synchronized start immediately followed the performance.
The chaos of the pre-contest show ceased, and an eerie quiet, occasionally broken by a fervored whisper or exclamation, as a team found something, set upon the field.
Even the birds seemed to obey the sudden quiet, and, save the crows (whose cawing further exacerbated the overall unnatural and dreary, almost, even, morbid complexion of the area), the birds stayed quiet.
This gloomy melodrama was lost on the contestants, whose pure and total focus remained set upon the objective – to find more pixies than their fellows. This lost effect was especially true for the young child Leir, whose deaf ears could not have picked up the crows’ serenade, regardless.

26-Apr-2008 02:47:28

Yrolg

Yrolg

Leir, and his mother, Laurana, were in a far reach of the field; a corner, in which they were almost completely isolated, let free to hunt at their ease. Within this secluded corner there were two small hills, gently gliding off into the horizon. A small, two-room cottage disturbed these gentle slopes, and it was at this chalet that the two were searching.
~You get inside; I’ll search out here, ~ Signed Laurana to her son.
In response, Leir moved inside the cottage yard, looking around the overgrown flower garden and decomposing stairway, whilst his mother continued her own reconnaissance of the outer yard, utilizing the luminous night’s pale light to supplement the forbidden magical beams she would have else used.
As his mother moved to the surrounding trees’ baselands, Leir moved further inwards, permeating the desolate emptiness of the cottage. Shortly thereafter, as his mother deemed the outer yard to be vacant, there was a bright purple flash, immediately followed by a thud.
Silently scolding the use of magic, the mother stole over to the cottage entrance, ready to reprimand the obstinate child for such callous disregard for rules.
Upon opening the door, however, the woman found a much more pressing problem: her child, her darling boy lay there in front of her, prostrate upon the floor, scarlet with blood seeping from every orifice – every pore of the youth’s body, barely conscious as his lifeblood tainted the dusty floor.

26-Apr-2008 02:47:39 - Last edited on 02-Aug-2008 05:44:32 by Yrolg

Yrolg

Yrolg

With an outraged shriek, the mother flung herself upon the damp floor, near her son’s body, trying, in some primal way, to quell the seizing boy, and somehow staunch the blood flow.
Spell after spell, and prayer after prayer yet, still, the purple sparks of magic, the golden radiance of the prayers dancing throughout the boy’s body did not stop litre after litre of blood from flowing out, and into the dank floor.
Following the failure of each endeavor – and sewn sporadically within – Laurana let loose, in the most basic and barbaric means of coping with forces above us, and relished a howlish moan, shrill and sharp, a dagger piercing the portraited night, reaching every corner of the field.
As her holisms failed, Leir’s corpse developed Rigor Mortis, and realization that these wails were not of some inebriated exclamation, or rather, that indeed they were the inebriated exclamations of grief, the different contestants each stumbled through the field, towards the cottage, and the begrieved mother whence the wails came.
As the different intervals of participants arrived, and were, too, horrified by the grotesque corpse which lay on the cracked floor, some of the empathizers were bold and caring enough to attempt to console the somber mother.
Others, those who either could or would not be of consolation to the grieving mother, stepped out into the eerie night, visiting the crows, whose songs still echoed in each person’s mind. Some tried to continue their hunts, either in arrogance or in an attempt to clear the mind of such horrid images. These people, regardless of their intentions, found that the grotesque and nightmarish images would not give rest, and all eventually meandered back over to the secluded cottage.

26-Apr-2008 02:47:48

Yrolg

Yrolg

The deceased’s father, who had just arrived from his sector, on the opposite side of the hunt*s area, dragged the melancholy and hysterical woman away from the pallor mortifying body, and sat her down next to their sole remaining child, a small baby girl.
“Darling, Darling! It’s going to be alright. Don’t worry, we’ll figure out how this happened. I know that it hurts, but you need – listen to me! – you need to settle down and tell me what happened. I don’* want anyone else getting hurt,” the husband cooed in a vain attempt to soothe the mother’s aching soul.
“MY BOY! My dearest darling boy! Why?! What can I do? He was supposed to grow up. Who’s going to be with the baby; who’s going to stand by me in my old age?” the mother returned, with the violent refutation of death’s presence. “Why did this happen to me – WHY? Why, why, why?” she continued to mutter, scream and plead, whilst rocking.
“Listen to me – Laurana, please listen to me! It’s going to be alright. Just tell me: what happened?” replied her husband in an even and soft voice.
“HE DIED! That’s what happened! He went into the house – I did*’t go with him… it’s all my fault! I did*’t go with him, and now he’s dead!” screamed his mother, pounding on her partner’s chest with exhaustion, trying to get the words out through the torrent of tears which had flooded her face, and the network of tears which had affected her heart.
Knowing that further interrogation would be futile, the man sat himself down, next to the spasming woman, and attempted, in some small way, to lessen the pain.
The crows, who had serenaded throughout the night, now performed an encore, circling above the cottage, cawing in their impatience to feast.
Out, far beyond the flock of crows, past the black clouds which had amassed in the sky, the moon shone its deathly rays upon the field, as the stars fought to hide the wan face of that deathly globe.

26-Apr-2008 02:47:59 - Last edited on 15-Jul-2010 04:00:20 by Yrolg

Yrolg

Yrolg

Thank you for reading 'Lunar Eclipse'.
Index:
Chapter I-- 1
Chapter II-- 4
Chapter III-- 9
Chapter IV--9, 10
Chapter V-- 17, 18

You may now post your comments.

Miscellaneous Data:
Microsoft Word Pages: 21
Formatted Book Pages: 45
Current Word Count: 11, 554
Supposed Progress: 15%
Extant Story Posts: 27

26-Apr-2008 02:48:09 - Last edited on 09-Nov-2010 16:53:01 by Yrolg

Yrolg

Yrolg

The content herein, as distributed by the user 'Yrolg', is licensed under the Creative Commons Atribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit the page available via Quick find code: 28-29-317-56513948, or by attaching the link 28,29,317,56513948 to the end of the simple URL of the homepage for the official RuneScape Forums.
Under this license you are free to redistribute this work. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work). You may not use the licensed piece for commercial usage. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.
These conditions apply exhaustively unless otherwise stated by the license-holder, the copyright owner.

As by demand of this promulgation, it is hereby present that the redistribution of this work may be performed only with included the additional informational direction as is displayed herein:
This work is the sole production of the user 'Yrolg' as is available on the sites of FunOrb and RuneScape, subsidary sites of Jagex Ltd. This work is legally protected from alteration or derivation. You may not use this work in any way except to actively redistribute this work with enclosed a public display of this informational tag.

26-Apr-2008 03:22:25 - Last edited on 19-Apr-2009 04:53:19 by Yrolg

Quick find code: 49-50-305-56396878 Back to Top