Forums

~*~ TDT2: The Blood Debt ~*~

Quick find code: 49-50-222-43530230

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

Posts: 7,994 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As Emmaris rounded the corner, he was instantly spotted by wary, nervous guards. They rushed from their posts toward him, drawing weapons. He looked like any of the street vagabonds with his torn clothes and dirty, bedraggled appearance. He quickly held his hands in the air.
“Stop right there!” yelled the guards. “How’d you get in here, rat?”
“Please!” he mustered all the authority he could. “My name is Emmaris – I’m a scholar – I must speak with the King.”
“Like hell you are.” The guard spat. “The Emmaris that was on that tournament?” The scholar nodded. The guard spat again. “It’s gone. Dead. ****. So quit lyin’.” He grabbed Emmaris by the arm and began to drag him toward the gates. “How’d you get in here, anyhow?”
“The guards at the gate let me in. He led me around past the mob to a side entrance to the palace.” Emmaris dug his heels in and wrenched his arm away. “He understood the respect accorded one of his Majesty’s royal scholars,” he added coldly.
“I don’t believe you,” grumbled the guard.
*I don’t care. Take me to Issavan and see what he says.”
The soldier blanched at the use of the Emperor’s name. “You keep your voice down!” he hissed. His expression changed, however, as he realized Emmaris’ calm demeanor and confidence in saying his name, as though he and the King were on a first-name basis.
“If his Majesty does not recognize and admit me, feel free to throw me out on the streets, hang me, execute me, I don’t care. But you must get me into the castle.” Emmaris held the soldier’s gaze, waiting for an answer. The soldier debated for a moment under the piercing stare. This man looked every bit the filthy street beggar, yet he carried himself with the confidence and arrogant air of a palace noble. Perhaps he was who he said he was. But if he was wrong, the Emperor would be as likely to hang him as he would this man.

05-Jul-2008 19:30:46

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

So he did what any other soldier would have done in his uncertain position and removed the problem by passing him on to a higher official. “Come,” he muttered, dragging Emmaris toward the milling mass of soldiers in the courtyard and thrust him at a captain. “This man says he’s Emmaris, from that boat. He wants to speak with the King.” Then he slipped quickly away.
Emmaris sighed at the prospect of explaining himself yet again. For a few minutes he argued with the captain, but finally convinced him to let him in. He was led up the castle steps and into the main hall. For a moment he stopped in wonder and felt tears stinging in his eyes. He had never dreamed he’d see the palace again. He’d left on the ship knowing he was going to die, but had calmly accepted his fate, for it was upon his King’s orders. How much he had changed! Now he was coming here to betray and kill that very same king. Here he was, home again, and the warmth spreading through his stomach again reminded him that his plan was just.
The captain tugged at his arm. “Come on, it’s no good to keep his Majesty waiting.”
“I know that,” Emmaris snapped. “Let go of me. Tell the chamberlain to tell his Majesty I’ll be there in a few moments. I’d like to clean off the dirt of the road, if it please Him. I very much doubt he’d be agreeable to receiving me in the state I’m in. I’m going to my rooms.*
*Yes, sir,* the captain responded automatically, deferring to the scholar’s authoritative tone. Emmaris turned and hurried up the stairs. He briefly guessed at the time in his head; it couldn’t have been more than twenty minutes since he entered the city. He had time. His chest tightened in anticipation as he trudged the long corridor to his old apartments. Another place he’d never expected to see again, and yet here he was, heading home.

05-Jul-2008 19:31:04

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

He paused at the door, running his fingers over the doorframe, then reached around his neck and fished out the key on his necklace. It was a wonder he’d never lost it in all the chaos. Now he unlocked the door and entered inside, shutting it behind him and leaning against it.
His weary eyes tried to take it all in at once. His desk in the corner, the bookshelves bursting with old tomes and scrolls, the messy kitchen area, the old worn couch in the center of the room, his bedroom visible through the open doorway…He laughed aloud with joy, collapsed on the couch, and for a few moments, was able to do nothing more than revel in the fact that he was home, alive, and savor the sweet comfort of lying down on something other than hard ground.
Then he roused himself, reminding himself he still had a job to do. He entered the bedroom and opened his wardrobe, picking out clothes more suited for a meeting with the King. Stripping off his travel-stained shirt and pants and tossing them in a heap, he began the process of washing himself free of the dirt that seemed to have sunken into his skin, humming lightly to himself and laughing again every once in a while. Gods, it was good to be home.

05-Jul-2008 19:31:20 - Last edited on 05-Jul-2008 19:31:33 by Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

*~*~*~*

Outside the castle, Maston and Arwing behind a home, watching the very same gate Emmaris had entered by. Kzahar, Lil, and Adrian had staked out a second gate in the high wall further around. It had been nearly an hour now, and Maston was getting anxious. He kept peeking around, waiting for the gate to swing open. He had already tried the latch; it was locked, and would need someone from the inside to open it. He hated having to rely on Emmaris. Despite everything, he still could not bring himself to trust the scholar or shake the fear that now that he was safe, he might sell out the rest of the group and get them all killed.
“He’ll come,” murmured Arwing, rubbing his arm.
Maston nodded, one hand caressing the hilt of his mace in his belt. “Oh, he better,” he replied softly.
Arwing sighed. Every muscle in his body was taut and ready to spring into action. She hated seeing him so tense and nervous, but she too felt the anxiety and fear. But there was nothing she could do to comfort him; her promises were empty, for she had no control over Emmaris either. She prayed silently that he would indeed show.
There was a noise from the wall. Maston snaked his head around and let out a great sigh of relief. He grabbed Arwing and dashed across the street, then slipped inside past the open gate. “Emmaris!” he burst out. “What took so long?”
“I needed to clean myself up,” Emmaris shrugged.
Maston looked him up and down. He was wearing a bright blue collared shirt, tucked into his fresh black trousers and belted at the waist. Gone was his scruffy beard, gone was the fear and weariness in his eyes. He looked at home again in the palace clothing; for the first time in weeks, he looked at ease. “Off to see the King?”

05-Jul-2008 19:31:58

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

“I shouldn’t keep him waiting.”
“We’ll let the others in,” Arwing supplied. Emmaris nodded, giving her a small smile.
“What are you going to tell him?” Maston asked.
The scholar shrugged. “What we talked about, I suppose. The boat crashed, only about five of you survived. You were quickly killed by the savages. Only Bond and I survived, we made it back to the mainland, he ran off. I don’t need the whole story. Just to delay him long enough for you to attack. You understand where the chamber is?”
Maston and Arwing nodded. “Good luck, Emmaris,” Arwing said.
Maston grasped the scholar’s hand. “Yes, good luck.”
“You too.” Emmaris bobbed his head and turned, jogging back toward the castle. Soon, the real challenge would begin.

05-Jul-2008 19:32:09

Quick find code: 49-50-222-43530230 Back to Top