Forums

~*~ TDT2: The Blood Debt ~*~

Quick find code: 49-50-222-43530230

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

Posts: 7,994 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
At the junction that led back to the throne room, the trio skidded to a halt. “Wait!” Arwing yelled. “Shouldn’t we check on Adrian?”
“We need to get to Lil!” panted Kzahar. “Adrian’s a big guy, he can hold his own.”
“Think about how long we’ve been in here. If he’d beat them, wouldn’t he have come in after us?” she protested.
“And he could have gone down the other corridor,” Maston countered. “Arwing, if you want to go back, go, but we have to get to Issavan before he escapes or hurts Lil.”
Arwing hesitated, indecisive, but she knew they were right. Adrian was probably fine, and he might have preceded them up the corridor. She nodded to them and they set off again at a sprint, quickly losing themselves in the dark twists and turns of the longer corridor. After a few minutes they lost all sight and slowed, continuously bumping into walls and each other, the only sounds that of their uneven breathing and pounding hearts.
“I see a light,” Kzahar whispered from up ahead. “Weapons out.”
Suddenly he staggered and tripped, sending Maston and Arwing bowling sideways right behind him. Maston regained his feet and conjured a small flame, then gasped and fell to his knees, turning the body in his arms. “Emmaris,” he rasped. “Oh, Gods…”
Arwing turned away and threw up violently at the sight of the scholar’s mangled body. Kzahar pulled her upright. “Issavan must be close,” he said bluntly. “We gotta keep going.” They moved more slowly and cautiously toward the door at the end of the tunnel, when Kzahar spied the next body. He let out a roar of anguish and bolted towards it.

09-Nov-2008 22:35:23

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

“Oh, no, no,* he moaned, cradling her head on his knees. “No, Lil, no.* Arwing and Maston raced to his side, touching her battered face with shaking fingers. She was a mass of blue and purple bruises, one eye swollen shut, her lips thick and puffy. Blood streaked her cheeks and matted her hair. One arm stuck out at an odd angle, and her clothes were crusted with blood as well. “Lil, wake up. Come on, wake up,” he whispered. “Please wake up.”
A strangled moan escaped her swollen lips. Kzahar smiled. “That’s it*******-rrr?” she mumbled. “Wha?”
“Shhh, don’t talk.” He murmured, then looked up at Arwing, his eyes cold. “This is gonna get messy. Think you can take her back?”
“What?” Arwing exclaimed. “No! You’re not throwing me out of this!”
“She can’t get back on her own,* Kzahar said.
“So you take her!”
“No,* he declared flatly. “I’m not missing this for the world.”
“You and Maston will kill each other!” She looked imploringly from one to the other. “I can’t be on the sidelines here, no more than either of you can.”
Maston shook his head. “Please, Arwing, go back. You were right that Adrian may need our help. Lil needs to be away from this mess, no. And I couldn’t bear to see you hurt by Issavan. Please,” he said again, more softly. “Go back, Arwing. We can handle him.”
Arwing’s throat constricted. They couldn’t do this to her. But gazing into both their eyes, she knew she wouldn’t get either of them to consent. Every second they argued was another second that Issavan got further away. She had no choice. “Okay,” she murmured, and reached over, grabbing Maston’s face in her hands and kissing him soundly on the lips. “Be careful.”

09-Nov-2008 22:35:34

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

“I will,” he promised. “You too.”
“Of course.” Throughout the conversation Lil had regained her consciousness more fully, and they helped her to her feet, draping her arm around Arwing’s shoulder. “Let’s go, Lil,” she said softly. They limped off together back down the hall, Arwing casting one last, longing glance over her shoulder. When they had faded into the darkness, the two men shared a look.
“Let’s get him,” said Kzahar simply. Maston gripped his mace as Kzahar picked up his swords again, and they examined more fully they room they were in. It was a long chamber with a tiled floor and windows high on the walls. Early predawn light leaked through, casting a grey pall over the scene. Down at the other end, it curved around to the right. They raced forward, then slowed as they approached the corner. Maston jumped around first, going wide, and barely saw the three guards before they pounced on him. He let out a curse as he was tackled backwards, one sword cutting a burning line in his arm. Kzahar was right behind him, cutting down the other two with swift, easy strokes as Maston swung his mace and dispatched his attacker. He picked himself up off the ground, eyeing the remaining five guards who hung back, waiting, clearly impressed with the two fighters’ speed.
Kzahar rushed them first, engaging one, while Maston sidestepped a charge and slammed his mace into the back of the man’s head, sending him sprawling. Kzahar parried, spun, and stabbed upward, spearing his attacker. Three left. They were even more cautious, circling now. One of them had the stripes of an officer. “I got the shirtless one,” he yelled. “You get the other one. When I say.”

09-Nov-2008 22:35:44

Crystal Smee

Crystal Smee

Kzahar feinted, chuckling as one of them stumbled back. Then he pounced, following through the stroke as the officer yelled, “Go!” Maston stood his ground and blocked the sword. The officer ducked his retaliating blow and they circled apart as Kzahar faced off with the only remaining guardsman. He’d been caught from behind while killing the first, and now blood leaked painfully down his back.
“Kzahar! Help me here!” Maston called, feinting left and striking from the right, but slipping smoothly past as the officer dodged yet again. Kzahar nodded, daring a glance over his shoulder for a split second, causing the other guard to spring forward. Expecting the move, the warrior brought his swords up, knocking the blade from the other man’s grip. A quick thrust left him on the ground. Kzahar then turned and caught the officer between them. When the man tried to back away, Maston circled around, blocking him. Horror spread across his craggy features and he lost all hope. In a matter of moments they had him backed up against the wall and Kzahar did the honors, slicing his sword into the man’s stomach. They back away, wiping their faces, and turned their attention to the open doorway beyond. A distinctive whinnying sound cut through the air.
“Stable.” Kzahar spat on the ground. “It’s an escape route. He really plans ahead, doesn’t he?”
Maston advanced, finally allowing flames to fully engulf his hands and his weapon as he prepared to confront the Emperor. “Hey!” hissed Kzahar. “You can’t throw fire around in a stable, you fool! You want us all to burn to death?”
Rolling his eyes, Maston extinguished the flames and burst through the doorway with Kzahar flat on his heels. At the sound of the two warriors crashing inside, the Emperor turned around in the stall he stood in, calmly contemplating the sight. A halfway-saddled stallion whickered anxiously beside him. “Well, well, well. I wondered when you would catch up to me.” He laughed softly.

09-Nov-2008 22:36:06

Quick find code: 49-50-222-43530230 Back to Top