Forums

The Cursed Dragon: Part 3

Quick find code: 49-50-172-40573885

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Posts: 3,564 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
-----Chapter Five: The Command of Kaisen--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was the early hours of the morning when Lydius appeared at Kaisen's door. "Wake up, Kaisen," he ordered.
Kaisen stirred, rubbing his eyes. "What?" he asked groggily. "More training?"
"No, your training is complete. I have come on behalf of King Aardi. The trial is now, and he requests your presence at the same battle arena as before in five minutes."
"Tell him I'll be there."
Lydius bowed, and left in a flash. Kaisen got out of bed and strapped the pouch of runes onto his belt. "This is it," he told himself, and he took off for the battlefield.

24-Mar-2007 03:17:40

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Kaisen arrived at Arrandar to find the circle once again completed, a new elf mage in the place of the deceased one. This time, there was security. A squad of armed elf bodyguards sheltered the mages. There would be no chance for Zharoun to bail him out of this one.
Aardi greeted him. "Welcome, mage. It is time to once again undertake your trial. Of course, you remember the objective. So, without any more time wasted, let us begin."
The elves once again cast their spell, and the dragon burst from its egg in a shower of silver. It roared a mighty roar, but Kaisen did not quake in fear as before. He was ready to fight.
Saren and Kalda stood nearby. Saren's face was as cold as stone, but his eyes softened as Kaisen looked at them. He nodded slightly, encouraging Kaisen. Kaisen felt warm again. His friendship with Saren would survive, as it should.
The dragon shook him from his thoughts with another bellow from its mighty jaws. It fired a blast of silver, but Kaisen smoothly stepped out of the way. His movements were as quick as lightning. He was almost to the level of an elf in speed (although not quite).

24-Mar-2007 03:28:47

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

The dragon breathed another stream of silver fire, and Kaisen evaded it again. The whole scene seemed to be in slow motion. Kaisen was just that much quicker.
Then, the dragon got smart. It began to flood the arena with streams of silver. Kaisen dashed around, dodging the never-ending wave. He felt the tinge of fatigue beginning to set in. He had trained for speed, not stamina. If he did not end it soon, he would fail.
'Remember Aardi's objectives' ran through Kaisen's mind. Lydius had given him advice, but he did not know what to make of it. Aardi had said the contest was meant to see if he was the master of the dragon. How could he prove that?
Kaisen fired an earth blast at the dragon, but the beast seemed unharmed. Kaisen's most powerful magic was useless. So was any means of physical combat. The dragon was simply impossible to defeat, as it was supposed to be.

24-Mar-2007 03:47:00

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

'You are the only one that can perform the task.'
Lydius had said that he was special. He, and he alone, could do something that was impossible. That was designed to be impossible. He thought that Aardi wanted him to lose, but it seemed that Aardi was giving him hints on how to win. He and Lydius. Were there a lot of people trying to help him?
For some reason, he was the only one. Zharoun, Lydius, Saren, and Kalda could only take him so far. In the end, it had to be Kaisen. He was a second-class mage, one whose skills were overlooked. He couldn't even get into the Mage Guild. What gift could he possibly have that no one else had?
Then, it hit him. 'No one else has ever undertaken a quest like yours,' Lydius had said. His strength was that he had accepted the quest. Where others would have refused, he accepted. He had carried the dragon egg, nourishing it, keeping it alive with his magic. If anyone was close to it, it was him. Lydius's cryptic advice was clear. He was the master. It was time he acted like it.

24-Mar-2007 03:53:18

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

Kaisen turned around and ducked under the blast. The observers would wonder if he had gone mad. He might have. He dashed directly at his enemy in a wild charge. The dragon blasted, and Kaisen rolled out of the way, continuing his onslaught. The dragon blasted again, and Kaisen dodged and touched his palm to the dragon.
The scales were cold under his sweaty palm. Fear rumbled up his throat, but he shoved it back down. "Stop," he whispered, and his request was greeted by a ferocious roar.
"Silence!" Kaisen shouted in anger. The dragon's roar ceased. It would be impossible to tell whose face showed more disbelief. Let's just say it was close between Saren and Aardi.
"I am Kaisen of Yanille. I am the mage that has carried you for these past weeks. I have carried you across RuneScape, and I will cure you. As your benefactor, I command you to go. Begone with you!"
The silence rang in the clearing. The bewildered expressions only got more intense. The dragon nodded. It gave one roar, and then it faded away into the forest air. The magic elf circle vanished.
No one spoke for quite some time, everyone obviously trying to come to grips with what happened. Only Kaisen was unfazed. He turned to Aardi with a cold face and said, "I have won. Give me the dragon egg and the elf crystal, and I will be on my way."
Aardi didn't have the will to refuse. He handed Kaisen the sample of elf crystal and the egg of the silver dragon.
Kaisen turned to Lydius. "Farewell, Lydius, and you as well, Aardi. Maybe in time your views of the outside world will change."
Aardi nodded, still in shock.
Kaisen turned to Saren and Kalda. "Let's go." Saren and Kalda were just as surprised as Aardi, but they managed to follow blankly in Kaisen's wake as he departed Lletya into the depths of the forest.

24-Mar-2007 04:05:23

[#5AGSIZET9]

[#5AGSIZET9]

------Chapter Six: The Darkness Lifted----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kaisen rested against a nearby tree. Saren and Kalda stopped with him. They had traveled many miles in Isafdar toward the place where Kaisen found Zharoun the previous day.
The friends had not spoken for the duration of the trip. Kaisen knew they were still shocked by the outcome of the trial. He didn't know whether they thought he could do it or not, but he was sure they didn't expect him to do it the way he did.
Finally, Saren broke the silence. "This has been an odd day."
"Oh?" Kaisen grinned. "How so?"
"That you told the dragon to go away and it did."
"Maybe I'm just that forceful a presence."
When Saren got finished laughing, he said, "Yes, I'm sure that's what happened."
"Well, well, well," came a voice from nearby. Kaisen looked up to see who it was.

25-Mar-2007 05:20:39

Quick find code: 49-50-172-40573885 Back to Top