Forums

Dev Blog: Deadman Changes

Quick find code: 380-381-335-65843565

Bold Truth

Bold Truth

Posts: 3,723 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
TL;DR is bold parts.

I love that Jagex is making changes before the start of a new season as they can figure out what will work and what won't. Unfortunately, the changes to the PJ timer aren't particularly great. The change you're making to the PJ timer will make it so solo players can only escape clans, but never take them on (because they'll be switched between members if they choose not to escape). The current PJ timer allows solo skulled players to take clans on, but not escape.

Ideally, you want solo players to be able to both take on clans and escape them. If you make a PJ timer with DPS requirements for it to stay in place, it'll both prevent boxing and also allow skilled solo players to stay focused on one player in a clan without being switched around (I want to point out the whole purpose of the PJ timer was to prevent this, so the proposed changes in this blog are practically going back to where we were in 1st place).

Also, a 1 second window for escape may be too short . I tend to think 2-3 seconds is more realistic, but I would actively watch this and be willing to hotfix it if it is impossible to escape in that 1 second time frame. It should be skillful, but not nearly impossible.

Lastly, Deadman Mode needs WAY more changes than just these two for it to see a resurgence . Please take into careful consideration the feedback of players and think about interviewing some of the higher profile players in terms of what they believe would help the game mode. I feel like there is not nearly enough communication right now for this game mode to work.

19-Oct-2016 17:55:26 - Last edited on 19-Oct-2016 18:24:03 by Bold Truth

DMS4

DMS4

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You're embracing clan man mode with these updates if anything, setting the pj timer to 5 seconds just allows teams to switch on player quicker.. If anything you're making it easier for clans.

We spoke of raising the PJ timer to at least 15-30 seconds disallowing clanman2 to take over clanman1. Not degrading it so there's more chance to be teamed as a solo pker in a SINGLE zone.

In my opinion ridiculous update, if anything the PJ timer should be raised and teleport should be kept at 10 seconds.

Now your defense will probably be that you can teleport out within 4 seconds so 1 second before you're able to PJed, now embrace Pking as a soloman or a clanman, if a soloman goes rogue & runs into a clan, he doesn't really have a choice to teleport ( minimal choice ).

I think personally you should be making it harder for clans, if you want player count in DMM then reducing clan domination is the answer..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing I would like to suggest is rather than end the tournament in multi zones ( as always ) try a single zone? Also reduce fog, fog kills more than any player.. it hits constant 20s, I understand it's used to guide people in the right direction, but 1-2 per game tick would do that...

In my opinion the Tournament should be last man standing based mechanics, with weakened FOG ( no Banking in fog to prevent people mass eating due to the fog being weakened ) 1-2 hit per game tick to push them into the final area ( possibility of stacked food, such as purple sweets - solution remove from tournament clue scrolls ), hosted in a single zone allowing each user a equal chance of winning...

Honestly I think single in the final stage will see a huge change in how the tournaments won, if you imply this is a PVP based game mode then you should embrace it equally.

19-Oct-2016 19:20:05

Jonagold

Jonagold

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I would suggest dealing enough damage while in combat for the pj protection, boxers don't deal damage so they wouldn't get the protection..

One way to do it: Check every 1 minute if players in fight have done/taken enough (20-50) damage in that time, if not, allow other players to attack..

19-Oct-2016 19:50:56

Zaroth

Zaroth

Posts: 21 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's annoying that this even had to be implemented in the first place. It's sad that players can't play with basic honor to not abuse the mechanics in broken ways. Even though it's not a complete fix I'm glad some action is being taken at least without it Deadman is completely broken. The abuse of the skull mechanics is completely overpowered. Thanks for doing something to fix it.

19-Oct-2016 20:06:14 - Last edited on 19-Oct-2016 20:07:07 by Zaroth

X Why Z

X Why Z

Posts: 83 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This update won't be enough to get rid of boxing. Two accounts can attack each other indefinitely (with flowers, e.g.) without having their combat interrupted. As for the other updates, I guess we'll just have to try them out to see how well they work.

I like how this season has turned into an "experimental" season. It'll be better for DMM in the long run for more updates like these to be tested out.

19-Oct-2016 20:54:33

menRNTwomen
Jul Member 2015

menRNTwomen

Posts: 68 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mod Ronan said :
Aurella said :
Mod Ronan
: We will be changing the Deadman Mode PJ Timer to the standard Old School format ....... will make boxing much more difficult for players, as both players will need to be attacking each other.

Couldn't a player splash back and forth with an alt? They would both be engaged in combat.

Yes. It'll still be possible in some ways. With that said, it'll still be a whole lot harder than it is with the current PJ mechanics.

This may not be a complete solution to boxing, but it'll certainly be a step in the right direction.

We have some additional anti-splashing mechanics in place which allow players to be PJed in some circumstances. We'll continue to refine this, as well as our similar anti-boxing mechanics, in the future.

couldnt you just keep the pvp world pj mechanic and just make it so if a certain amount of zeros/splashes are hit that they could then be pjed. also make it so if someone is in combat for a certain time regardless of if damage is done they can be pjed. so like within 5 mins of combat with the same person they would be able to be pjed.

honestly i think changing the pj mechanic back to the old way will hurt more than it helps, clans will be able to pj much easier. also, with the skull timer being brought down to 15 minutes there will be less people boxing/splashing as it will be easier to run the skull clock out.

19-Oct-2016 21:07:19

D6V
Nov Member 2023

D6V

Posts: 5 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I personally think you guys should have left the Teleport/Logout timer the way it was.. It was perfect.

Clanmanmode is seriously not fun.

By having clans running SDMM, it just makes us solo players not want to play, a high amount are solo players, this is basically why SDMM is dying so hard.

19-Oct-2016 21:49:29

Quick find code: 380-381-335-65843565 Back to Top