Forums

Dev Blog: Deadman Mode

Quick find code: 380-381-187-65635935

King Jim
Dec Member 2023

King Jim

Posts: 3,066 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This is a huge waste of dev time. No support.

Especially since it's a different account definitely not paying / starting over again like you made every player do when you forced the EoC on us.
"I've been playing since 2006 but jagex made me quit 11/20/2013"

10-Jun-2015 18:42:51

Zeldaren

Zeldaren

Posts: 3 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This will only be good if you allow us to link our deadman accounts to our current runescape accounts and have them use its membership.

Asking for us to pay a monthly fee for membership for another account on deadman is insane. Nobody will play deadman mode if your accounts cannot be linked thats a fact.

10-Jun-2015 18:45:41

Slay Helm

Slay Helm

Posts: 2,414 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I would honestly play this with a few friends, I can see people teaming up to try and become the most powerful, but it would be interesting to see small teams picking off solo'ers, bigger teams picking off the smaller teams, the biggest teams fighting amongst each other and of course, back stabbers within teams who try and take out a high level player for their own personal gain.

Can see this being an intense, fun way to play, you'd have to find where to camp that is safe, has resources and a way to make money / obtain good gear - places like this are rare and would be fought for (Burgh de Rott for example, 1 way in but multiple ways to get out, close to barrows, a bank, burgh de rott ramble and a shark fishing spot).
Stud Unit 125+Elite PvM
~~
Undefeated Champions of the PvM Arena

~~Join today!~~

10-Jun-2015 18:45:46

menacemenace

menacemenace

Posts: 20,291 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I won't be touching deadman mode for 2 reasons:

- Resetting *all* skills by 7 levels just feels like time wasted before you even start playing. Perhaps my mind would change if it was a random 5/23 skills each time you died or something like that.

- Giving them access to your whole bank alongside being able to completely wipe it of all items is too much IMO. Let them take a maximum of 10-20 items. This will give the player who has just died at least 'some' incentive to regain what they've lost if they have a few things in their bank to rebuild with rather than absolutely nothing.

10-Jun-2015 18:46:51

V e t o e d

V e t o e d

Posts: 673 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
menacemenace said :
Resetting *all* skills by 7 levels just feels like time wasted before you even start playing.

The reason it's 7 levels is because -/+7 levels = half the total amount of XP in a skill.

Let's say you're 99 in a skill, remove 7 levels from it, you're back at half the total XP you had before you lost it. It's linear for all levels.

On a different note, all I want to say on this mode is this:

I hope the XP rates are buffed compared to the normal game. Otherwise, I can see people losing interest fast.

10-Jun-2015 18:49:15

lnfinite God

lnfinite God

Posts: 468 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm going to keep it simple.

deadman mode = stats reset on death

Stat reset = more grinding.

Grinding = the thing pkers/pvpers hate
most

deadman mode = the thing pkers/pvpers hate
most

solutions:

no stat reset
(boring)

multiplied exp rates
(interesting & original)

10-Jun-2015 18:50:39 - Last edited on 10-Jun-2015 18:56:03 by lnfinite God

lnfinite God

lnfinite God

Posts: 468 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Minimum quadrupled exp rates

+ I got some questions:

- wouldn't cities be safe zones if you're unskulled? "Thanks to these guards it is possible to find some peace in major cities." isn't the city VERY peaceful because of these guards?

- is every single square of the world PvP zone? Including banks?

- would we have to pay for a new account to play this mode? (if so, it's a definite no from me)

10-Jun-2015 18:50:44 - Last edited on 10-Jun-2015 19:06:41 by lnfinite God

Wooxs Dad

Wooxs Dad

Posts: 54 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Formerly Joy said :
Deadman Mode will divide our player base further, kill our current PvP, and offer highly punishing mechanics which will ultimately have players quit the game!

Dividing The Player Base:

We have the standard Runescape account and by bastardized popularization we introduced Ironman Mode, and the absurd Ironman Mode. Currently we don't have enough players to fill our worlds, or their content. Zeah is on its way! We can't afford to split our player base further.

Our Current PvP Is In Trouble:

PvP is currently no risk, no reward, and always being ddosed. If you introduce Deadman Mode and people leave our current PvP it will die out. Furthermore, Deadman Mode will become ddosed like current PvP.

Player WILL QUIT:

Let's transition perfectly into the ddos issue. Players will be punished to the point of no sympathy. All of their beloved work will be gone and so will their admiration for this game.

Do you really want to do this!? Just because Mat K said it was a cool idea on stream? Should we let the game as a whole suffer for the mistake of one person? Let's see, why is this familiar? Oh, right, Evolution of Combat and Mod Mark. Our game has quickly dropped from 50K to 40K player base. Our game has made a 10,000 USD PvP tournament to try to hype PvP. PvP is already in trouble as is all of our unfulfilled content. Please CANCEL this terrible update before it's too late. I get people are blinded by hype, but maybe they should take a second to consider the risks this update will bring.

God bless you

10-Jun-2015 18:52:50

Quick find code: 380-381-187-65635935 Back to Top