Forums

Stop TH Promo Oversaturation

Quick find code: 366-367-744-66105301

Theos
Aug
fmod Member

Theos

Forum Moderator Posts: 23,574 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello all,

As many of you may see, there are numerous Treasure Hunter promotions which are repeating excessively. This has led to a market which is oversaturated with Treasure hunter token items which maintain little value, and have lost excitement and offer no use to the Runescape community. I'm sure Jagex gauges which promotions are most popular due to usage; key purchases(direct revenue), bond conversions for TH keys, and in general key redemption during a particular promotion.

While it is understand that Treasure Hunter tokens are intended to be reintroduced periodically, why is it that some items are reintroduced when others aren't? Rainbow items for example, are repeatedly reintroduced while gem items have only been reintroduced one or two times and these items allowed to amass a great value. There needs to be some consistency; reintroduce all of them randomly and regularly. As it currently stands, the growing count of "junk TH items" is increasing daily with many of these items reaching values to where there's no incentive for collectors to purchase or invest in them and the general player base sees no value or excitement from obtaining these tokens because they've either: unlocked it, see it has no value, and/or perceive it as junk/rubbish. The oversaturation is contributing to the perception of these items as "junk".

I would like to suggest that Jagex consider some of the following solutions to help rectify the current Treasure Hunter token saturation problem:

1 - Allow tokens to be exchangeable for a certain number of oddments , or runecoins.
Rationale: This would encourage more tokens to leave the game. With the small RS3 membership size, oversaturating the market with tokens eventually leads to them becoming useless and the promotional items becoming "junk".

2- Allow tokens to be "hi-alched" for a certain value
Rationale: This would provide a price floor for these items

(Continued)
Forum Moderator

12-Jun-2019 16:56:46 - Last edited on 12-Jun-2019 17:05:47 by Theos

Theos
Aug
fmod Member

Theos

Forum Moderator Posts: 23,574 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Why should Jagex consider making changes to tokens, and how the types of promotions they run?

Ensuring that tokens maintain some value is an important factor which will affect Treasure Hunter key purchases. I'm not suggesting to allow tokens to reach prices like the Gem cape which is upward to 1B GP, or the Zombie Walk token which has recently hit max cash prices. I'm simply suggesting that Jagex come up with alternative ways for tokens to exit the game, and/or provide a "price floor" on these items so that they don't end up becoming junk. Even discontinuing them after a certain length of time, I think, would be a fair proposal.

Players are more likely to buy Treasure Hunter keys during a promotion for a valuable item (whether new or old is irrelevant), there's an incentive to buy keys when you know an item is worth millions as opposed to if the item is worth 10k. I do recognize for some promotions, like Rainbow's End, the multiplier and the XP lamps/stars serve as the main motivator for key purchases and the items are more of a "bonus". This "bonus" over time loses excitement when the tokens start approaching prices in the 100k or below range.

My thoughts in general, or my TLDR;
- There's too many Treasure Hunter tokens, and oversaturation in the RS market
- There needs to be a way for tokens to exit the game so that they don't become worthless
- If there's repetition of promotions and items are reintroduced, there shouldn't be a bias in which promotions and items are allowed to "gain value"; how is it gem items have been allowed to get so valuable and haven't been reintroduced in such a long time while Rainbow items have been appearing on a monthly basis now?

I'm curious as to what you all think should happen with TH promotions, and these "token items".

Over to you.

:)
Forum Moderator

12-Jun-2019 17:02:11 - Last edited on 12-Jun-2019 17:03:58 by Theos

Sharp-shin

Sharp-shin

Posts: 41,301 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
(That choice of title was quite misleading; it comes off as wanting to tone down TH, while the actual content of the thread is vice versa, trying to make TH even more addictive. I was actually curious for a second though, thought that a forum mod would truly criticize Jagex.)

I mean yeah, I agree that the way Jagex has handled the tokens in TH is so random that it makes no sense, but if you actually wanted to improve the game here, what you'd want to do is simply discontinue the tokens (both existing ones and the making of new ones), and offer similar cosmetics to the ones that currently exist from actual gameplay, and do the same for cosmetics that would be released as new tokens.

Problem solved that way: less trash (=worthless) cosmetics in the game, more bang for your membership buck, people who already invested retain value from their investment. Healthier game overall for us players to enjoy. > )
"Volat Accipiter libera est; venandi sua natura est."
~Accipiter striatus

12-Jun-2019 17:18:00

TriIIion
Dec Member 2023

TriIIion

Posts: 175 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Support, TH promotions have just felt really lazy recently... Like there's a wheel at jagex with like 3 different promos on it and they just spin to decide what's next with no regard for the economy surrounding the items. Woah... just take it easy man

12-Jun-2019 17:20:48

Aqua Auron0

Aqua Auron0

Posts: 319 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Theos I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding the over saturation of the market. It was posted however that Jagex was making all tokens available for free at some point within the next 2-3 years. I assume their goal is to slowly keep oversaturating the market so as to give these tokens little to no value, and then either completely remove them (all tokens removed from game and replaced with x-coins like wishing well bush seeds) or just making them completely worthless like 90% of their tokens currently. Im sure Jagex will never do anything contrary to increasing revenue anymore as most of the people who care about the game are gone, or have been slowly brainwashed by mushroom management. For those who dont know what that term is, it means, keep your employees in the dark and feed them $#!t. Jagex removed the ability fort you to contact them directly UNLESS you have a payment discrepancy. You have 0 other means to speak with any Jagex employee unless you use third party programs or mediums, such as twitter, discord, twitch, reddit, etc... but even through those mediums there is little to no actual benefit. Jagex has become too large of a company, is overstretched, and therefore cannot facilitate a moderately decent playing environment for their customers/players, as they are trying to accommodate too many things and players. The new players introduced to the game have never experienced the satisfaction of levelling a brand new account to make it pvp viable, nor do they want to. They want to jump in a game, they want no learning curve, they dont even have the attention span, mechanical skillsets, or mental capacity to do that learning curve so its pointless to try and blend that playerbase together. There are casuals, and then there are people who play this game like their job. Devoted, every day for 10+ years. The long term players are in the minority and Jagex does not need to keep them entertained as they have already proven they will play the game regardless of "There unclearly fights fifty tiny yordles in south dakota over games so help it trap" - Aqua

Classic Player: Top 100 Darkscape: Maxed: Ranked PCer in "Pis2ols" FC

12-Jun-2019 17:25:49

Aqua Auron0

Aqua Auron0

how bad it gets, how unplayable it is, how much it costs, how many bugs are in it, etc... The importance of TH tokens to them are negligible. As they only want new players to artificially boost their numbers so they get more funding from an investors perspective. #sadtimes "There unclearly fights fifty tiny yordles in south dakota over games so help it trap" - Aqua

12-Jun-2019 17:27:08

Aqua Auron0

Aqua Auron0

Look at the new summer event. Building a boat. DEFINITELY NOT RECYCLED LOL "There unclearly fights fifty tiny yordles in south dakota over games so help it trap" - Aqua

12-Jun-2019 17:27:49

Aldamir
Dec Member 2017

Aldamir

Posts: 1,657 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Totally agree there is way to many tokens in game with nothing to do with them a few have more spare tokens than players on game so there needs to be an exit strategy for them oddments seem to be a good idea a this would stop a huge injection of cash coming into the game I would really like to see this mess sorted out one way or another

because giving tokens an exit will bring trust back into treasure hunter item

tone down over released tokens so even if you get one it can still be rewarding

I support this fully :)

12-Jun-2019 17:34:34

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Realistically these cosmetic tokens become "junk" only because the players make them so.... because they simply don't value purely cosmetic items.

To give "values" to this "junk", of course, Jagex can artificially give it an high alch price or make them dissembled into some rare materials.

However, I think the better approach is to give them some buffs that doesn't affect the economies, e.g., a bonus chance to get cosmetic items like pets drop.

12-Jun-2019 18:45:54

Stablecoin

Stablecoin

Posts: 49 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Support!

This might be a good way to bring back some interest in Treasure Hunter items. At the moment, things like Contact Juggling Rest token instant buy for 1 GP. Some of these items are just over-saturated.
Ranked Price Checker for
"Pis2ols"
; Friends chat - An economy-related community for Treasure Hunter, Low Volume Items, Discontinued Rares, and Dyes. Free chat, trading, price checking, and speculation is allowed.

12-Jun-2019 20:42:29 - Last edited on 12-Jun-2019 20:42:52 by Stablecoin

Quick find code: 366-367-744-66105301 Back to Top