Forums

3rd Age War Makeup @ Mod Jack

Quick find code: 341-342-911-65997495

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

Posts: 5,206 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for posting this. It was an interesting read. One thing surprised me though.

"While it would be a lie to say that this had a major impact on Avernic society as a whole, his influence has perpetuated within the standing armies of Infernus. Zamorak is a holy figure on Infernus, and service in his forces on Gielinor is considered the highest honour in their military tradition. Because portal capacity is so limited, only the finest and most disciplined troops are considered."

I am surprised that portal capacity has become a major limitation. As per the Avernic book

"The Avernic, cowards and heretics as they are, prefer to project a manifestation into our world from the Infernal Dimensions.

The demon constructs a temporary form or possesses a living host, in order to claim a foothold in Gielinor.

Should the manifestation be killed, normally the body shall crumble to ash, and the demons consciousness returns safely to Pandemonium."

If the avernic can simply project a manifestation why can't the ones who do not go through the portal simply project themselves over instead and why are the best and brightest being sent through the portal and not manifesting. It would be less risky to have those high-value military units manifest I think.

14-Mar-2018 16:35:11 - Last edited on 14-Mar-2018 16:43:30 by Cthris

Hazeel

Hazeel

Posts: 6,735 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Was it ever previously established that Drakan betrayed Zamorak? This seems out of left field.

Although a strategic genius and brilliant leader, Zamorak has little ability for innovation and experimentation, and most of the more inventive and scientific Mahjarrat did not side with him.

This is a bit of a weird statement. I can see Zamoarak being a little overly tradtional, but if I had to list the most "experimental" Mahjarrat, I'd put these members in the Top 5:

Lucien
Bilrach
Kharshai
Sliske
Zemourgal

Most of which were Zamorakian during the 3rd age. Everyone else either hasn't shown it or have made it clear that they're "too morally upstanding" for it. Unless this is speaking more scientifically than magically.

The fact that Zamorak dislikes necromancy and can use unicorns in battle also surprises me. I thought unicorns were strictly loyal to Saradomin. ...Or maybe he's using Dark Unicorns?
Runescape doesn't need a hero...it needs a villain. An all encompassing force of evil that will remain ever-threatening and use chaos to make the peoples of Gielinor tolerate each other, grow strong together, and fight side by side against this evil. I am that villain.

14-Mar-2018 17:46:15

AesirWarrior
Jan Member 2021

AesirWarrior

Posts: 1,060 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Cthris said :
Thanks for posting this. It was an interesting read. One thing surprised me though.

"While it would be a lie to say that this had a major impact on Avernic society as a whole, his influence has perpetuated within the standing armies of Infernus. Zamorak is a holy figure on Infernus, and service in his forces on Gielinor is considered the highest honour in their military tradition. Because portal capacity is so limited, only the finest and most disciplined troops are considered."

I am surprised that portal capacity has become a major limitation.

I'd argue that limitation's existed in lore since at least the Codex Ultimatus, when Zaros has to sacrifice Loarnab to bring over 12 demonic legions. The process of manifestation should probably be elaborated upon if nothing else.

Worth noting that the Avernic book's information comes from a Saradominist torturing an Avernic, so it's very likely that large portions of it are lies. We know demonic posession is possible from quests like Legends Quest, but it's impossible to tell whether it's as widespread as the book claims.
-
I have noticed your kind does tend to blindly stumble forward towards danger simply because it exists. What is your word for that?
- We call it being a hero.

14-Mar-2018 17:46:22

AesirWarrior
Jan Member 2021

AesirWarrior

Posts: 1,060 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hazeel said :

The fact that Zamorak dislikes necromancy and can use unicorns in battle also surprises me. I thought unicorns were strictly loyal to Saradomin. ...Or maybe he's using Dark Unicorns?

Pretty sure hornless-unicorns aren't intelligent enough to be loyal to any god. They're probably only as intelligent as the average horse... if such a prepostorous creature actually existed.
-
I have noticed your kind does tend to blindly stumble forward towards danger simply because it exists. What is your word for that?
- We call it being a hero.

14-Mar-2018 17:58:04

Summerleaf
Nov Member 2012

Summerleaf

Posts: 3,313 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Osborne mused that the only way the Vyres could have held onto the east and for Zamorak to have lost at Forinthry, was for Drakan to betray him and do his own thing, which kinda makes sense if you look at how Drakan is as a person, imo.

14-Mar-2018 19:28:15

Hazeel

Hazeel

Summerleaf said :
Osborne mused that the only way the Vyres could have held onto the east and for Zamorak to have lost at Forinthry, was for Drakan to betray him and do his own thing, which kinda makes sense if you look at how Drakan is as a person, imo.

That...doesn't make any sense. So...

1) The only way Drakan could defend his land from Saradominist invaders who had lost their most powerful race (Icyene) and their most powerful warriors (Barrows Brothers) was by forfeiting the protection Zamorak gave him in interest of maintaining allied/subserviant land during the war?

2) And the only way Zamorak, with an army that's a fraction of the Zarosian empire, could lose Forinthry was if Drakan left him? Even though he was facing a Tier 3 God, and two Tier 4 Gods, with one wielding the siphon (Armadyl) and the other wielding the Stone of Jas (Saradomin) as well as a gifted follower who could endlessly revive his fallen.

I can't make sense out of #1, but if #2 is truly the case then clearly I vastly underestimated Zamorak's intellect.
Runescape doesn't need a hero...it needs a villain. An all encompassing force of evil that will remain ever-threatening and use chaos to make the peoples of Gielinor tolerate each other, grow strong together, and fight side by side against this evil. I am that villain.

14-Mar-2018 21:03:13

Summerleaf
Nov Member 2012

Summerleaf

Posts: 3,313 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^ Don't shoot the messanger.

You can

1.) Tweet Osborne: https://twitter.com/JagexOsborne

2.) Keep up to date on streams and such so that you hear it from the horses mouth

3.) I think your lore is a bit off there.

14-Mar-2018 21:58:03 - Last edited on 14-Mar-2018 22:01:34 by Summerleaf

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

Posts: 5,206 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
AesirWarrior said :

I'd argue that limitation's existed in lore since at least the Codex Ultimatus, when Zaros has to sacrifice Loarnab to bring over 12 demonic legions. The process of manifestation should probably be elaborated upon if nothing else.

Indeed it did. When the Avernic book came out I pointed this out to Mod Jack and he suggested that the ability to manifest was something the Avernic was a relatively new ability in their repertoire, one only gained after being liberated from the Chthonians. Perhaps Mod Jack forgot or has something else in mind now but I thought it was worth mentioning. Manifestation certainly does need to be elaborated on :)

15-Mar-2018 00:06:55 - Last edited on 15-Mar-2018 00:08:05 by Cthris

Hazeel

Hazeel

What part is wrong? We know that:

Saradomin and Armadyl had their respective artifacts.

Bandos switched sides all the time, but we know that at the end of the war he was with Saradomin and Amaradyl.

Bandos is tier 3. The others are tier 4.

The Vyres wiped out the Icyene (save a few "miraculous survivors"...as always).

Sliske had called in his debt from the Barrows, so they were gone--and personally I'd say they were carrying the reclamation effort based on what I've read.

Elora could revive the dead--actually bring them back to life. Granted I don't have a timeline on when she died.

Zamorak's army was a fraction of the size of the Zarosian army. Even with the Avernic at his side, this document cites it as "small".

15-Mar-2018 00:52:01

Quick find code: 341-342-911-65997495 Back to Top