Forums

Guthix Lore

Quick find code: 341-342-67-65849477

Chaos Lupus

Chaos Lupus

Posts: 9,633 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Why is this even a debate? We know that Zamorak was both a powerful mage and skilled in melee combat, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Even on Freneskae, where their magic was vital to survival, he was presumably the fifth most powerful of the mahjarrat. And after centuries of experience in organized warfare on Gielinor, he naturally adopted plenty of skill as a melee combatant, to the point where he was even able to even surpass Azzanadra as the most powerful of their number. There are plenty of examples of Zamorak using both (Twice Burnt, Kharshai's memory, a compilation of mod quotes, etc.)

Also, being a powerful mage doesn't necessarily mean that you have a lot of abstract magical knowledge. Saying that Zamorak wasn't a powerful mage because he stabbed Zaros with the staff is like saying someone isn't a powerful mage because they don't know about ancient magicks or any other number of spells hidden to the mages of any given time or place. Additionally, Zamorak didn't even stab Zaros until he realized how to use the staff.
The strength of the pack is the wolf and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

11-Nov-2016 22:28:28

Hazeel

Hazeel

Posts: 6,735 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Initially I didn't want to spam this with discussion of Zamorak, since J mods were using it to gather input, but since this thread's initial purpose is finished, I suppose we can discuss this more.

Personally I see Zamorak as someone who uses solely magic, but incorporates a melee/ranged style into it. The average mage would probably be the type to fight solely at long range chucking slow spells and doing everything they can to keep away from their opponet, while Zamorak would probably start a long range but have a lot more variation and transition into his fighting style, using quicker attacks as he reaches closer range, likely using his staff to both channel his power and as a melee weapon depending what the situation calls for.

I'm not sure what the situation with magic is with Mahjarrat. Sometimes it sounds like they just have different styles of fighting, and other times it sounds like Mahjarrat like Azzanadra and Temekel have higher "power levels" while Zamorak rivals them by being a significantly better fighter than either. Like the whole Temekel crushing people with his mind thing...is that a unique technique that Temekel learned or is he just "more magically powerful"?
Runescape doesn't need a hero...it needs a villain. An all encompassing force of evil that will remain ever-threatening and use chaos to make the peoples of Gielinor tolerate each other, grow strong together, and fight side by side against this evil. I am that villain.

12-Nov-2016 04:41:33

Wahisietel
Oct Member 2005

Wahisietel

Posts: 3,426 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Why not both?

Zamorak was actually a Mahjarrat who preferred using melee armour and weaponry, but used magical melee when the situation called for it.

Khazard's father confirmed
You never were our brightest star, Khazard. 'Vermin slaughtered like lambs'? What does that even mean?

12-Nov-2016 09:01:37

Ascertes

Ascertes

Posts: 5,461 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Some things I'd like to know, though most probably have already said these:

1. His journeys from Naragi to Gielinor. The worlds he visited, what he did, etc.

2. Why did he bring certain races to Gielinor? How did he get them to follow him?

3. Life on Naragun before Saradomin's arrival. Social structure, what Naragun was like, etc.

4. His interaction with each of the other gods before he banished them.

5. How exactly did he become so powerful? Was it through the SOJ, SOA? Connection to anima that he gained strength from?

6. Why did he create the guardians of Guthix? Why did he choose who he did?
-Ascertes, King of all the Hallowlands and the Everchosen of Saradomin.

12-Nov-2016 17:41:37

Quick find code: 341-342-67-65849477 Back to Top