Forums

Runescape Cosmology Explained

Quick find code: 341-342-429-66007236

Gamez X
Sep Member 2014

Gamez X

Posts: 885 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As i said right from the very start, i've made slight alterations to various things in order to make them better. Because they never had a plan years ago this is why we're left with broken bits of lore that are just plain weird in the new more designed lore

Scaperune is one such thing, jagex CLEARLY havnt a clue what to do with that thing and so like all broken bits of lore are hoping its just forgotten. Just saying "its a world where everything is opposite" is frankly a terrible design. If they intend to forget it, then i say forget the weird "everything is opposite" thing (thats rubbish anyway) and focus on its darker ruined nature seen in prison pete. Clearly its another universe and when you look at prison pete and such, it clearly fits thematically for the dimension of disaster. The best design they can do to make this place significant in the modern age is to link it to an already well established alternate universe, so dimension of disaster is the best option

If your so set on "evil bob owned falador though", do remember that was years ago so new players wont even get that line/lore, plus leadership can change hands over time. Heck if you must, just say evil bob owned the black knights. As for the fish thing, again thats just a weird thing so they can happily retcon that out. That said though, you never did fish in the DoD. It was all on that 1 island so for all you know that effect could only for that island

All of this is more of a suggestion to jagex for their definitive model than a direct account of every line said over the years. Like i said, i've incorporated as much as i could (a heck of alot more older details than they'd put into it i can tell you). The changes i made are more like interpretations, all made to clean up old broken lore and fix the more lacking designs for the better

28-Apr-2018 18:35:14

Hguoh

Hguoh

Posts: 7,581 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
What I'm getting at is that the idea of parallel realities intrinsically doesn't have an upper limit and thus no reason to reduce their number. As such there's no reason to combine two such instances that exhibit notably different qualities to them.

Dimension of Disaster is a world very similar to our own, with one change that led to all the differences (and I very much doubt that the character not being in universe would make Bob rise up and start openly enslaving humans and potentially lead the Kinshra). This would make it a parallel universe 'close' to our own.

Scaperune, on the other hand, is a word largely opposite our own, making it a fairly distant parallel universe (we might even call it a perpendicular universe to illustrate how different it is). And if you are so willing to discount how Falador is set up in Scaperune due to it no longer being accessible, there is no basis to connect the two worlds as the island we can get to makes no connections to the ruined state of what we have seen in the Dimension of Disaster.

There is simply no reason to try and cram the two conflicting worlds together, and doing so makes the lore messier and more broken not neater and fixed. Call them two instances of universes separate to our own (out of a theoretical infinite) and call it a day. It is the neatest and simplest solution.

29-Apr-2018 04:45:24 - Last edited on 29-Apr-2018 04:49:05 by Hguoh

Aveo7
Mar Member 2023

Aveo7

Posts: 4,138 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Gamez X said :
..::[ The Balance Plane ]::..

I've named this world the life rune because all jagex ever call it is "the balance world" which just sounds bad when everything else has a rune identifying it.

Can there not be a balance rune that's simply unknown/been forgotten in the Sixth Age? I ask because in While Guthix Sleeps we fight a Balance Elemental. Surely the fact that Guthix could create this elemental implies that Balance is an element (perhaps the ultimate combination element) and therefore could theoretically be harnessed into runes.

30-May-2018 14:38:05 - Last edited on 30-May-2018 14:39:02 by Aveo7

Gamez X
Sep Member 2014

Gamez X

Well for now i'm only considering runes that are actually in the game before trying to predict any others. As we can see there's a clear system with how the elements combine together to make all the runes and really all the combinations have been used up. All the single and combo runes plus their catalyzed variations have been defined

When it comes to the "balance rune", honestly i would say thats just the elemental rune. Just from its very nature it is the combination of every element in 1 so it fits. It also fits with the idea of the balance elemental too cus he was just a combination of all the basic elements aswell. They couldnt very well call it the "elemental elemental" so the fact they called it balance instead could well be evidence that the elemental rune is the "balance rune"

And like i explained in that section, for now i see the life rune as being the catalyzed version of the elemental rune and thus "the perfect rune" cus the entire point of making these worlds is to make the one with the best anima, which is basically just life energy

Ohh and a quick little update for the recent news of the karamjan god world. That is almost certainly the blood rune world with the raharni wildcats. Still no news of if the werewolves would have the same world but atm its still very plausible

30-May-2018 20:54:41 - Last edited on 30-May-2018 23:39:14 by Gamez X

Summerleaf
Nov Member 2012

Summerleaf

Posts: 3,313 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I love this thread, and decided to reread it to refresh my mind on Astromancy, but I noticed that there're a few errors throughout that you might want to check out.

Your theory on the mist world having life:

Original message details are unavailable.
It seems there is no life on this world. I can see the seeds of life, but not life itself. I feel myself reaching for my staff, to give those seeds a spark of energy, a push to catalyse their efforts... But it is gone.

I have wasted enough time here.

- Armadyl

(It probably has some deep sea life, so mermaids could make sense, but not dagganoths. Can Siren's survive indefinitely without land?)

Muspell is one of the worlds that Zamorak felt safe in, but is there a source that Zamorak fled there over Infernus?

Can you source that Xau-Tak created the stalkers?

Can you source that the Ocularus formed around the Giant's Homeworld?

Can you source that Teregard is covered in water?

If Abbinah has a core of water, and Chaos Rune's source is fire and the catalyst, how is that Chaotic, over the Smoke that they claimed, when there is clearly no fire present, and lots of floating islands?

Can you source Cheanannai's name?

Can you source anything about the Balance Plane?

Can you source the Iaia being covered in shadowy clouds?

Based on your model, how did Armadyl go from Gielinor to the Elemental Planes after he was banished without coming into contact with the other worlds?

On the Steam world, I thought more along the lines of Rock Crabs, than kalphites.

30-May-2018 23:02:03

Gamez X
Sep Member 2014

Gamez X

Phew alot of questions. Remember alot of this isnt stated out right and likely never will be cus jagex likes leaving this stuff ambiguous. Alot of this are my own speculations and theories from reading over every piece of info we have

The mist world being a full water world most likely has deep aquatic life that armadyl never saw cus being a bird i cant see him going deep sea diving. Sirens and dagganoths are the only major aquatic species i know (are there even mermaids in rs?) so they're the ones i gave as examples, could well be just fish for all we know. Also keep in mind this entry was from the end of the 3rd age, life could well have developed more since then

The world zammy went to always was a guess between infernus and muspell. But i settled on muspell cus i think in the book of zammy moia says how she went through a rift in daemonheim and met him on a world "formed from fire in countless colours" and that it was beautiful. The world gate describes muspell as burning yet beautiful too so it sounds far more like muspell than infernus

As for xau tak creating the stalkers, see the lore books from the horrors update. In there it talks about how he created 3 lesser deities, 1 of which describes exactly a stalker. Ergo i theorise he was the one who created the original stalker in ocularis (lore which came out only a few months before this saying "it just appeared" ), and the stalker lore book says how that original stalker spawned every other stalker after it

Teragard's model is pretty much confirmed. The fremenik say its a world cold in temperature and temperament so in my old version i made it a rather cold water world with many scattered islands and 1 or 2 major continents, a world of fremenik isles. Raven commented on it when i put it on reddit and he said that one was pretty much spot on

31-May-2018 00:00:01 - Last edited on 31-May-2018 00:29:03 by Gamez X

Gamez X
Sep Member 2014

Gamez X

As for ocularis well that is all theory atm, the only reason we know of a giants homeworld is cus it was mentioned in a survey so they must have some idea for it. We know ocularis is a moon so that implies it has a native planet, we also know that last runefest they labeled ocularis as the body rune world (before it was named a moon instead). This implies its around a planet that the body planet. Now when placing the giants world theres not that many places left unused. The worlds armadyl mentions are too primitive and desolate which pretty much left just body, blood or death. We can now pretty much say for sure death is jermyn and i've got my own thoughts that blood is the raharni wildcat and werewolf world (a world of predators/hunters). So that left body and honestly it fits the most. The thing giants are known for are their huge bodies, they're built to be solid so they fit the theme of body. Also the bik path is best suited for having a world with lots of varying biomes (cus there are many different varieties of giant and behemoth). But like i said, apparently ocularis can move around at will so god knows where that moon actually is atm

Cheannais was i think in the lore section 2 runefests ago but i never actually watched that myself, its on the wiki

The balance plane isnt really stated in the game but whenever they talk about it on lore streams thats what they say. But honestly you can tell from their tone they havnt really thought much on the actual details. As i said above, balance is pretty much the same as elemental and we know the 4 elders only met up all together at the very top, so that final plane would be the balance plane

As for iaia, again i think that was in last years runefest lore section, they had a segment talking about iaia and the ilujanka and that was mentioned

31-May-2018 00:12:50

Summerleaf
Nov Member 2012

Summerleaf

Posts: 3,313 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ya we gots Mermaids:

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Urchin
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Anemone
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Tentacle_(Deadliest_Catch)

Ty for Muspell source, makes sense.

Ocularis - Wow. that's a pretty cool theory. I'm on board with this now.

Can you link that Mod Raven comment?

I'm still a little iffy on the Body Rune thing, but it makes sense the way you're describing it.

I read the Cheannais thing on the wiki when I was editing it earler, and the Iaia thing so that's my bad.

And the balance thing makes sense, and was on the Wiki too, but I always thought that Gielinor was always in its own plane, so Mazcab is what threw me off.

~~~~

As it stands, my biggest gripe with this is you changing Abbinah's element

31-May-2018 00:26:19

Gamez X
Sep Member 2014

Gamez X

How did armadyl get from world to world, well almost certainly teleportation which goes through the abyss. No one ever said they had to follow the same paths the elders took, infact those paths arnt a teleport network at all. Remember this model is in 3d so think of the runespan being the center with the 4 paths being around it, he could well of gone right down the center for all we know. But since guthix kicked them off the world, its possible he threw them all through his world gate and set it to send them to various worlds directly, we can only guess but theres nothing which says they have to follow the planets in sqeuence

Steam world, yeah i just had no clue at all about those black insect things, could be anything

Now as for abbinah, i did say thats the one i have the most issues with. They called it the smoke rune but to me it does feel FAR better suited as the chaos rune (cus the whole place is a chaotic mess) with the gas giant being the smoke rune (cus its a giant ball of gas/smoke). Plus i do want to keep amadyls line of "kethsi is near my homeworld) part of this, in planetary terms where teleporting makes distance kinda irrelevant the only real way that line could be significant is if its in the same system, otherwise why be concerned for your own world that the dragonkin are invading another star system?

I know it causes a problem with it technically being a fire world and the aviantse are birds (air based) but the catalytic air rune is mind and we know that worlds kethsi and not abbinah. I see it as instead of fire based its more like lightning based, hence its lightning storms. Remember jas and ful joined paths here so jas probably influenced the chaos world a bit more than usual. Also abbinah wasnt always like this, its core ocean,storms and flying islands are a result of the damage done to it so we dont know what it was originally, it could well of been more fire based than we think. Honestly i think we'll just have to accept its kinda odd atm =P

31-May-2018 00:26:59

Quick find code: 341-342-429-66007236 Back to Top