Forums

/ The Virtuous of Saradomin \

Quick find code: 341-342-35-65277878

Dennorak
Jul Member 2020

Dennorak

Posts: 4,414 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Raxxess said :
I have recently noticed to add to Saradomin's character he doesn't seem to judge people based on race or birth. Ex. Padomenes who was born a farmer is now one of his top ranking generals, Zilyana second in command of the faction really being female when seeing Padomenes male Icyene are much bigger, Sir Owen though he was born noble and affluent is on the front lines just like his other followers.

Where you have gods like Bandos, Zamorak, and Zaros whose followers are basically born into their power. Keeping their following to races that don't actually struggle to obtain their status or prove it themselves that have it because of the status of their race/birth.

Personally I see this as a strength. But do you see this as a strength or weakness?

I'd say that is completely inaccurate on the Zamorak front.
Zamorakian Lorehound, Flame of Chaos member, Bilrach enthusiast

15-May-2014 20:44:40

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

Posts: 5,206 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dennorak said :
Raxxess said :
I have recently noticed to add to Saradomin's character he doesn't seem to judge people based on race or birth. Ex. Padomenes who was born a farmer is now one of his top ranking generals, Zilyana second in command of the faction really being female when seeing Padomenes male Icyene are much bigger, Sir Owen though he was born noble and affluent is on the front lines just like his other followers.

Where you have gods like Bandos, Zamorak, and Zaros whose followers are basically born into their power. Keeping their following to races that don't actually struggle to obtain their status or prove it themselves that have it because of the status of their race/birth.

Personally I see this as a strength. But do you see this as a strength or weakness?

The Zamorak part is wrong, maybe Zaros too (Depends on whether you think your potential comes from fate or your own choices) but besides that i would say the Saradomin part is correct, while he isn't exactly equal in how he treats them, but he recognizes that even the lowliest birth can become great. I assume that this comes from being a human, and then being one of the oldest and most successful gods.

15-May-2014 22:30:47

Chaos Lupus

Chaos Lupus

Posts: 9,633 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Cthris said :
Dennorak said :
Raxxess said :

The Zamorak part is wrong, maybe Zaros too (Depends on whether you think your potential comes from fate or your own choices) but besides that i would say the Saradomin part is correct, while he isn't exactly equal in how he treats them, but he recognizes that even the lowliest birth can become great. I assume that this comes from being a human, and then being one of the oldest and most successful gods.

I would argue that Bandos recognized that the strong come from generally weak races as well. He wanted people to prove their strength in combat or die trying. Those who rose to the top of the pack earned his respect. This is evident with Sergeant Steelwill, Strongstack, and and Grimspike, who come from a race that is generally used as canon fodder.
The strength of the pack is the wolf and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

16-May-2014 00:06:41

Neo Bestia

Neo Bestia

Posts: 7,275 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Luppy

The point wasn't mainly to compare physical strength; more so taking into account the background, social classes, economic power, education the Saradominist humans and Icyene (which seem to have a more defined social and political structure) posses on their kingdoms and how some individuals have prospered/faced/exceeded this society due to their merits (Padomenes and Zilyana) or how their position hasn't given them extreme benefits and in fact has pit them in danger several times (Sir Owen).

Zamorakian, Bandosian and Zarosian societies have a different organasation than Saradominist so hence comparing the aspects is difficult. In any case the focus isn't physical strength or their position and how they defied the norm of their society or otherwise blatant bigotry.

16-May-2014 01:14:55

Raxxess

Raxxess

Posts: 2,236 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Back on to the discussion, I also noticed that Zilyana appears to have a second pair of wings which could bring that into question as we saw from Garlandia( assuming her story has truth) She and Padomenes only had one set. So I wonder if that could have any effect to it maybe there are Icyene that are more advanced than others.

It could also be that wings are a status symbol as well, Garlandia claimed everyone was "envious of hers"
Saradomin Lore clan
- Aegis of Saradomin

16-May-2014 01:27:50 - Last edited on 16-May-2014 01:28:40 by Raxxess

Chaos Lupus

Chaos Lupus

Neo Bestia said :
@Luppy

The point wasn't mainly to compare physical strength; more so taking into account the background, social classes, economic power, education the Saradominist humans and Icyene (which seem to have a more defined social and political structure) posses on their kingdoms and how some individuals have prospered/faced/exceeded this society due to their merits (Padomenes and Zilyana) or how their position hasn't given them extreme benefits and in fact has pit them in danger several times (Sir Owen).

Zamorakian, Bandosian and Zarosian societies have a different organasation than Saradominist so hence comparing the aspects is difficult. In any case the focus isn't physical strength or their position and how they defied the norm of their society or otherwise blatant bigotry.

I know, I was just pointing out that others have come from similar backgrounds and have also overcomes the odds to get where they're at today.

16-May-2014 01:35:21

Neo Bestia

Neo Bestia

Chaos Lupus said :
Neo Bestia said :
@Luppy

I know, I was just pointing out that others have come from similar backgrounds and have also overcomes the odds to get where they're at today.

I would contest a saradominist social background being similar to that of a Zamorakian, Bandosian or Zarosian.

17-May-2014 01:45:54

Chaos Lupus

Chaos Lupus

Neo Bestia said :
Chaos Lupus said :
Neo Bestia said :
@Luppy

I would contest a saradominist social background being similar to that of a Zamorakian, Bandosian or Zarosian.

Religion has nothing to do with my point. All of them had to get ahead of the competition to get to where they're at. Sir Owen was pointed out as being one of Saradomin's most prominent human warriors. General Graardor is Bandos' most prominent ourg. He faced the same, if not worse odds, than Sir Owen.

17-May-2014 01:59:12 - Last edited on 17-May-2014 02:02:10 by Chaos Lupus

Neo Bestia

Neo Bestia

Chaos Lupus said :
Neo Bestia said :
Chaos Lupus said :

Religion has nothing to do with my point. All of them had to get ahead of the competition to get to where they're at. Sir Owen was pointed out as being one of Saradomin's most prominent human warriors. General Graardor is Bandos' most prominent ourg. He faced the same, if not worse odds, than Sir Owen.

You misunderstood me: it has nothing to do with the religion itself but more so the structures inside the human and Icyene kingdoms (which are all saradominists and do seem to resemble a more classical feudalistic society -that sits well with the time period this game actually works at, Early Renaissance- , where social mobility was scarce, and hence, your blood could determine your entire life, apart from being misogynistic and presenting a rigid, discriminatory, class structure which resented anyone who tried to fight it or overcome it).

Whereas you could say the Bandosian (you could argue the goblins, but then again we know that they can achieve great things, like the Dorgesh, if they surpass their stupidity, normal guards at their society are stronger than average goblins -not forgetting they've lost their military and weapon producing tactics-) and Zamorakian (sure there are stronger and weaker demons, but as a race they are capable of great strength in average, not even talking about Mahjarrat and Vamps) societies are still rather crude and Zarosian was perhaps an even more extreme case of what I described above, seeing as we know very few notable zarosian (Viggora that we know of) that challenged their structure successfully.

17-May-2014 02:44:30

Chaos Lupus

Chaos Lupus

@ Neo

I understand what you meant, I was just saying that many other individuals have had to overcome similar odds to get to where they're currently at, in terms of power and status. The path of no two individuals is exactly identical. At the same time, though, one can easily draw comparisons between a Saradominist's path (Sir Owen was brought up earlier) and that of a Bandosian (I brought up the example of General Graardor).

By background, I didn't mean similar societies, customs, etc. I meant the obstacles that certain people have had to overcome are often similar.

17-May-2014 03:16:41

Quick find code: 341-342-35-65277878 Back to Top