Forums

Cross Minigame Reward Shop

Quick find code: 322-323-808-66044823

UofM
Dec Member 2015

UofM

Posts: 139 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello there,

I think making minigames more rewarding and popular is a great idea. But, I have reservations as to this being a priority.

This is the minigame spotlight system and Thaler currency concept currently in RS3 correct? Or am I missing something here? Why can't I find a mention to this being the exact same concept as we have already seen. It seems almost purposeful skating around this without mentioning the words Thaler or spotlight. If someone mentioned it already, my apologies. Either way, we can probably learn from our mistakes and triumphs of the past.

From my experience, the minigame spotlight and Thaler were at their best mediocre success stories. They didn't increase people playing the minigames. They did create enough player interest to get some games started of otherwise dead minigames which was good. But, most if not all people AFKed it as it was a time based currency. The longer you prolonged a game the better. I remember doing multiple hour Barbarian Assault sessions afking in the safe area, no intent to play the game or finish round one, just stay in and collect those minutes of my life. This experience was also back when castle wars profound armor was a trim requirement and you could get it from thaler, unsure if it survives today, I haven't played RS3 in a long time.

Focusing on making it a performance based currency instead of time would be monumentally more beneficial.

-UofM

15-Jan-2020 21:24:12 - Last edited on 15-Jan-2020 21:27:11 by UofM

4ev

4ev

Posts: 739 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
UofM said :
Hello there,

I think making minigames more rewarding and popular is a great idea. But, I have reservations as to this being a priority.

This is the minigame spotlight system and Thaler currency concept currently in RS3 correct? Or am I missing something here? Why can't I find a mention to this being the exact same concept as we have already seen. It seems almost purposeful skating around this without mentioning the words Thaler or spotlight. If someone mentioned it already, my apologies. Either way, we can probably learn from our mistakes and triumphs of the past.

From my experience, the minigame spotlight and Thaler were at their best mediocre success stories. They didn't increase people playing the minigames. They did create enough player interest to get some games started of otherwise dead minigames which was good. But, most if not all people AFKed it as it was a time based currency. The longer you prolonged a game the better. I remember doing multiple hour Barbarian Assault sessions afking in the safe area, no intent to play the game or finish round one, just stay in and collect those minutes of my life. This experience was also back when castle wars profound armor was a trim requirement and you could get it from thaler, unsure if it survives today, I haven't played RS3 in a long time.

Focusing on making it a performance based currency instead of time would be monumentally more beneficial.

-UofM

Honestly I stopped playing RS3 shortly after EoC came out, so I have no idea what you are talking about with Thaler or anything like that. I have asked about it on HLF with my account that has access to that forum, so I have a general idea of how it was implemented.

From my understanding, the Thaler/spotlight system in RS3 works like this:

Minigame A/B is spotlighted. You gain Thaler or whatever from that minigame during the spotlighted timeframe only.

(next post)
Castle Wars in Theme - A few minor changes to fix cheating
Cross Minigame Reward Shop - Polled December 26th 2013
Mobile Improvements and Ironman PvM Solution

16-Jan-2020 04:46:03

4ev

4ev

After the minigame(s) are rotated out, you no longer gain that currency.

My proposed system would vary from that slightly.

In my system, there'd be a set group of minigames where you could gain the new currency. Now certain ones would be applicable for a small boost (10%) in the gain rate of that currency during a limited time rotation, while others would not, since they already gave good enough base rewards (pest control - as an example).

To clarify, all applicable minigames would give you 100% of this new minigame whether highlighted or not, but the other minigames on the list would offer you a very small incentive to play them instead, or at least give them a try (110% gain rate, instead of 100%).

The reason I find this to be an important feature, is because I've experienced what you're describing, people AFKing in minigames, because they felt compelled to 'play' them. I wanted to avoid that as much as possible, while at the same time, attempting to breathe life into minigames requiring player interaction overall.

I will update my main post to remedy any potential confusion, thank you for asking the question.

Let me know if there's anything else you're confused on.

16-Jan-2020 04:52:37 - Last edited on 16-Jan-2020 04:55:03 by 4ev

weston btw

weston btw

Posts: 2,495 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That spotlight had minimal effects in the long fun as good as it was. No one wants to waste their time doing inefficient pointless activities. People actually wanna git gud and quit being total nubnubs at the game they're playing lol. I would much rather anyone PK in game than do so irl. If you wanna get it out, do it on an online platform please. I don't want anyone getting harmed physically. :(

16-Jan-2020 14:39:53

weston btw

weston btw

Out of curiosity, wtf is that weird ass PKer build? 60/77/1 with 45 prayer? I would much rather anyone PK in game than do so irl. If you wanna get it out, do it on an online platform please. I don't want anyone getting harmed physically. :(

16-Jan-2020 14:41:41

UofM
Dec Member 2015

UofM

Posts: 139 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So, maybe I need a bit more clarification, I still don't see a difference.

In the Thaler system of RS3:

You gain the currency once every 5 minutes for only select minigames at all times, pretty much your list.

Every 3 days, a minigame from this list gets highlighted on a rotation. During this time you get a currency every 1 minute. (5x rate of base).

The only difference I see is your rate is 1.1x as opposed to the 5x rate. Even at 5x rate, it didn't coerce people enough to revive the minigames.

Now, the argument could be made of rewards being different and coerce that way. Which is a valid proposal. Although, Thaler allowed for a lot of Overpowered rewards and still wasn't successful. For example, you could get all void pieces, fighter torso, slayer vip tickets, exclusive pets, all major minigame armors, etc. from Thaler at similar rates of time as getting them directly.

If you want to read more on this, perhaps learn from their downfalls or see how to improve it, heres a link to that update: https://secure.runescape.com/m=news/minigame-spotlight

16-Jan-2020 15:24:46 - Last edited on 16-Jan-2020 15:49:00 by UofM

weston btw

weston btw

UofM said :
The only difference I see is your rate is 1.1x as opposed to the 5x rate. Even at 5x rate, it didn't coerce people enough to revive the minigames.

Gonna point this out.
I would much rather anyone PK in game than do so irl. If you wanna get it out, do it on an online platform please. I don't want anyone getting harmed physically. :(

16-Jan-2020 17:43:43 - Last edited on 16-Jan-2020 17:44:17 by weston btw

4ev

4ev

Thanks for linking it, I guess I did misunderstand how they implemented it (I thought you only got the currency when highlighted/spotlighted/ whatever you want to call it). However, I see some flaws with the way it was implemented.

First of all, they list the order in which the games are highlighted is there, set in stone, sort of making people wait until whichever game they wanted to play was highlighted. To me, this is actually the opposite of what you'd want to see. People will simply wait to benefit more, very similar to what double exp weekends ended up like.

Another big flaw is the difference from when the game is highlighted, to when it isn't. To me, the difference between 5x and 1x is so big, that I would only do the 5x, even if I didn't enjoy that activity, leading to much of the aforementioned AFKing. We want to entice people to participate in something they might not normally, not force them to. Of course people won't participate in things they don't like. If you give them a slight reason to try it out, maybe they'd find out they enjoy the activity.

A 10% boost isn't enough for people to feel it is that much more inefficient to participate in something they prefer over something they didn't like. For example, even a minor boost of 10% probably won't breathe life into the Games Room, even when highlighted, but it might be enough to allow some people to find a few games here and there during peak hours.

Lastly, from what I'm reading, they offered up the rewards from the minigames involved as part of the cross-shop rewards? To me, that is also counter-productive. The new shop should be there as a bonus, not as a way to get around content people don't want to do. I don't want people to be able to get fighter torsos by afking in castle wars, and never setting foot in barbarian assault, for example.

If such a rewards shop were implemented, nobody would participate in any non-rewarding minigames. They'd wait till it rotates to the good ones.

17-Jan-2020 00:23:04

Quick find code: 322-323-808-66044823 Back to Top