Forums

Castle Wars in Themed Worlds

Quick find code: 322-323-259-66200619

4ev

4ev

Posts: 739 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Preface

At times, castle wars in themed worlds is basically unplayable. There's high level clans ruining it with their 2-3 sabotagers on the opposite team, using alt accs (which is against the rules). This has become a lot less common with some of the changes like making throwaway accounts unable to cade until they reach 500 total in theme worlds, so gj Jagex.

These accounts still don't get banned nearly fast enough, if at all, as some have been reported for years, without a ban.

Another minor issue is that when all the high levels and ancient mages go to one team, it gets quite boring.

Table of Contents
Preface - post 1
Solutions - post 1
LMS Style - post 2
LMS Style (continued) - post 3
More Rewards - post 4

Solutions

Make it green portal only in theme worlds, similar to what was done with soul wars.

You could also change game mechanics slightly in theme worlds (leave other worlds untouched) so barricades in your own base and outside of your base have separate limits, making it harder to sabotage all the barricades. For example, change the 10 limit to 5+2+3 in theme worlds, 5 dedicated to your castle (defending - key squares, see below - all others inside your base fall into the shared category), 2 for outside the base (scoring), and 3 shared barricades (if any outside the base, it decrements from scorer cades first). This allows for 8 defensive or 5 scoring maximums, realistic uses.

Furthermore, make a display for barricade counts near the collapsed tunnels etc. and color/highlight barricades based on which team placed them (and who placed them), so it is easier to see wasted barricades and who did it. These features could be applied in all worlds.

Examples of Key Spots

Zamorak Spawn

Saradomin Spawn (gap too)

Both Third Floors

Both Flag Rooms
Castle Wars in Theme - A few minor changes to fix cheating
Cross Minigame Reward Shop - Polled December 26th 2013
Mobile Improvements and Ironman PvM Solution

28-Jan-2021 23:29:40 - Last edited on 04-Aug-2022 19:32:29 by 4ev

4ev

4ev

LMS Style (preset gear/levels)

Another issue with castle wars is that power creep is pretty strong with the damage bonus from castle wars bracelets, and if one team has all the ancient mages, it makes the game very one sided.

To combat this, it would be pretty cool if there was a version of castle wars with preset gear/levels, similar to LMS (while allowing castle wars to be played as). I'd want to see one of these worlds in members and one in F2P (teaser). There'd be no EXP in these worlds, and everyone would join one team (green portal only). From there, it would divide the books/players (more on that below) as evenly as possible. Everyone would be a maxed account.

In competitive games, there's a few main roles:

Scorer
(sometimes use humidify)
Magic defender
(ancient magic)
Pk defender
(range/melee)
Offensive mage
(hybrid scorer/ancient)

The basic distinction between these roles is what book the player is on, and there needs to be a downside in choosing the ancient enabled player, or most everyone will pick it.

Therefore, I suggest when a player picks the
ancient book
, they get access to:
Mystic Top
Mystic Bottom
Black D'hide Body
Wizard Boots
Occult Necklace
Glory Amulet
Barrows Gloves
Brimstone Ring
Staff of the Dead (can't autocast + basically a melee weapon)
Mage's Book
Dragon Spear
Rune Crossbow + Broad Bolts
Rune Pouch
Water, Chaos, Death, and Blood Runes

28-Jan-2021 23:29:51 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2021 13:43:46 by 4ev

4ev

4ev

LMS Style (continued)

When a player selects the
Lunar book
they get access to:
3rd Age Range Top
3rd Age Range Legs
Bandos Tassets
Ranger Boots
Amulet of Fury
Barrows Gloves
Brimstone Ring
Ring of Suffering (i)
Kodai Wand (water runes)
Dragonfire Shield (charged)
Black D'hide Shield
Abyssal Tentacle
Zamorakian Hasta
Zamorak Godsword
Rune Crossbow + Dragonstone Bolts (e)
Hunters' Crossbow + Long Kebbit Bolts
Karil's Crossbow + Bolt Rack
Fire, Mud, Death, and Astral Runes (humidify + vengeance)

Now you should notice the distinct gear gap between the two books, and this is completely intentional. It is also intentional that the ancient player can't autocast, has no good defensive options, and lacks blood barrage (but can still blood burst if desired).

This is intentional to limit the number of offensive mages, and increase the skillcap on that role to stay alive. Now there won't be people "arma casting" in elysians freezing your entire defense and never dying.

Also, to limit the number of players utilizing humidify (which is quite powerful when used correctly) you'll notice the lack of a rune pouch on the lunar option. This is also intentional (less space for supplies).

28-Jan-2021 23:29:51 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2021 13:43:25 by 4ev

4ev

4ev

More Rewards:

Multi-Tool

This would double as a tinderbox and bronze pickaxe. It's default option would be use, with a right click wield option, so it could still function like a tinderbox in the inventory. It would be sort of like the Inferno Adze from RS3. Price it somewhere around 200-300 tickets?

Decorative Shortbows

oak, willow, and maple variants at 5, 50, 500 tickets respectively, so they are in line with the longswords.

Decorative Range Top/Bottom

Maybe there could be legitimate range/mage items instead of the strictly defensive pieces currently there. Range armour is easy enough to follow the current tiers (leather, studded, frog leather/green d'hide). The third tier would need to be members only, or be boosted to the stats of green d'hide (I'm thinking the latter option is probably best).

Elemental Staffs

Decorative variants of the 4 elemental (air, water, earth, fire) staffs. These could be priced at 100 tickets each.

Magic Gear

Magic doesn't have many decorative options beyond basic robes, as the tiering throughout magic is kind of bad unfortunately, especially in F2P. There could be decorative basic wizard robes added though, as that is all F2P has as far as robes are concerned currently.

28-Jan-2021 23:29:52 - Last edited on 24-Jul-2021 13:54:20 by 4ev

Dungortheb
Jul Member 2023

Dungortheb

Posts: 28 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I like your suggestions and I acknowledge the mentioned problems as well. I like castle wars (for nostalgia AND otherwise) but I hate there are shit ruining it. This would be especially important I think:

"Make it green portal only in theme worlds, similar to what was done with soul wars. In fact, a lot of the people doing this are from soul wars clans, since they can still cheat like this in castle wars."

I hope this thread gets attention.

03-Feb-2021 10:39:21

Quick find code: 322-323-259-66200619 Back to Top