Forums

Skilling seems undesirable

Quick find code: 317-318-877-66273755

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Posts: 394 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Disclaimer right off the bat: I do view this issue as someone who enjoys skilling regardless of whether it's not the money machine it used to be. I'm also a recent returnee who's played in the RS2 era.

So it seems that over the course of the game skilling has been somewhat relegated to the domain of 'jobs people don't really want to do'. I'm a recent returnee but it seems like otherwise fantastic updates like GOTR have had economic consequences on the prices of Blood Runes. This of course, isn't the only place where we see this kind of thing happening.

It just appears that Jagex have done a fantastic job on OSRS in making PVM extremely exciting, innovative and meaningful but skilling has not had that same thought with the unintended consequences of bossing being an arguably more fun way to get skilling resources.

I did start a thread about some vague visions I have for what a new skill would look like. The undesirability of skilling makes me think a new skill should certainly be an item sink that can increase the value and utility of skilling again.

In general, what can be done about this? Discuss below!

03-Feb-2023 03:34:38

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,201 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
What can be done about this? Make suggestions as usual, but TBH try to get the very, very small group of players who have exclusive inside track to talk to the OSRS developers and CM so they can put up "desirable" skilling updates for polling.

03-Feb-2023 03:44:06

daedlus58

daedlus58

Posts: 1,530 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The problem is that for years jagex thought that everyone wanted to be a pker and only did skills to make it possible to pk. Then when they found out it was not true, the old guard (gowers) left. They then put a ceo that did not believe the polls and just decided that the pkers did not take the time to vote. That lead to the destruction of the original beauty of the game.

After osrs came out, the jmods decided that if players did not want to be pkers, that must mean they were pvmers. So they did a poll asking how many people were non combat players and how many were pvmers. The never asked how many people did ALL the skills as skillers.

Because few people ignored combat skills, they assumed everyone wanted to be a pvm bosser, i.e. someone that only did gathering skills to get the money to do bossing. So they decided to dump all the resources on bosses so that no one had to do them.

As a result a large portion of the game's players left. Now there are few people that complain about useless skills any more since everyone that loved the game for the skills have gone to better games. Jagex has little reason to fix their problem because they failed to listen to their players when it would have made a difference.

04-Feb-2023 04:45:19

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Posts: 394 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm of the belief that the PvM aspect was always more fun for players even in the RS2 days. That or PvP. Either way, it wasn't skilling.

I think people would enjoy skilling if it provided a better GP rate. You can see this amongst chatter in the game when people often discuss their skilling grinds as something they have to do, or something they have to do in order to max/quest requirement/diary requirement etc as opposed to 'I'm training X Skill so I can do X things with the skill'.

I don't see why PvM boss drop tables have become so heavy with skilling resources.

Perhaps ironmen are the consideration here?

04-Feb-2023 05:25:44

daedlus58

daedlus58

Zeffirino said :
I'm of the belief that the PvM aspect was always more fun for players even in the RS2 days. That or PvP. Either way, it wasn't skilling.

I think people would enjoy skilling if it provided a better GP rate. You can see this amongst chatter in the game when people often discuss their skilling grinds as something they have to do, or something they have to do in order to max/quest requirement/diary requirement etc as opposed to 'I'm training X Skill so I can do X things with the skill'.
There were a lot of people that did that but surprisingly, it was not the majority. A large percentage of the players did all the skills because they like doing all the skills. These days, those people are gone because jagex punished us for not supporting the pkers.

04-Feb-2023 15:33:19

daedlus58

daedlus58

Zeffirino said :
I don't see why PvM boss drop tables have become so heavy with skilling resources.

Perhaps ironmen are the consideration here?
It had nothing to do with ironmen.

Do you remember the days before the revs were released? Jagex wanted to reward pkers for playing the game the "right way" by putting the revs in the wild to entice people to go to the wild and be the pkers money bags. The idea they had was to give the revs a special drop, a corrupted version of all the major armor and weapons you got from mobs outside the wild. Since these were corrupted, they would fall apart after a few hours. The problem was the value of these weapons and armor would be the same as the repair cost or the normal ones. That meant there would be no sense in spending 10 mil for a set of barrow armor when you had to spend the same cost to repair it after hours of use as the corrupted ones cost. The value of all the armor gained outside the wild would fall to practically nothing in a matter of days.

We demanded that jagex not allow it to be used outside of the wild or other pvp area. In one post they agreed, but when they did the poll, the link for the description said they could be used anywhere. We voted it down and told them to poll it with the right plan and we would approve it. Instead they decided to dump things like 1000 noted coals every 10 kills or so on the revs. This meant initially, the revs were dropping 2 mil 6 times and hour plus another mil or so in between. The pkers loved it. They could kill a few rev killers and get 10 mil in a hour.

Problem was, this destroyed the supply and demand cycle. Everything dropped in prices. Coal went from 200 gp to 50 in less than a week. Mage logs went from 1k to less than 100 at one point. Raw sharks were dropping from 690 to so low many people just did not pick them up any more. Pkers complained that they were not getting the money promised them.

04-Feb-2023 15:38:15

Quick find code: 317-318-877-66273755 Back to Top