Forums

Are the pre-GE folks dead?

Quick find code: 317-318-690-66150915

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,201 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"We’d still prefer not to push players back to the dark days of spamming ‘wave2: buying raw lobs 200 each’ outside every Bank in Gielinor."
The OSRS Team, PJ Timer Beta & Chat Changes, 01 December 2021

GE is not going away.

06-Dec-2021 19:21:35

SageTheWise
May Member 2022

SageTheWise

Posts: 49 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
In theory, the 1% tax on the grand exchange should incentivize people to trade like the old days (between players in the trade menu.)

If you can avoid a 5 million coin tax by trading with another player, it would be worth it depending on if you care about losing (or saving) that much gold

10-Dec-2021 19:03:26 - Last edited on 10-Dec-2021 19:05:45 by SageTheWise

Sammybear717

Sammybear717

Posts: 82 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I haven't played in some time, mostly because of reasons unrelated to the GE, but personally I disliked the GE and still do. This might come off as dramatic, but prior to the GE, it was easy for me to be considered wealthy by my friends as all i ever did was mine and smelt/smith. Once the GE came out, it basically turned into a game of buy low and sell high, and if you have less than a million gold, you're basically poor. How I see it is it's caused significant inflation in typical prices. I regularly google to see if anyone releases a 2010's era runescape system, but haven't had any luck. I'm aware GE will probably never leave, as more people would dislike the GE being gone than enjoy it, but that's my 2 cents.

edit: just as an additional note, if/when I do play, I only ever sell through the GE, but never buy. I wouldn't even sell at it if it wasn't easily accessable, thus making the GE itself a competitor for selling things

16-Jan-2022 22:16:34 - Last edited on 16-Jan-2022 22:24:52 by Sammybear717

PvM Rapid

PvM Rapid

Posts: 10 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I truly dont get how them adding the Ge made your friends think less of you in terms of wealth.

The GE didnt change the prices of the ores.

and this all "buy low sell high" a very small amount of people actually do this, a majority of people just buy an item and thats it. "merching" isnt as common as ur making it out to be espeecially with the tax system.

The GE addition was just a QoL addition, your entire paragraph has nothing to do with the addition of GE.

??????????

16-Jan-2022 22:45:38 - Last edited on 16-Jan-2022 22:46:03 by PvM Rapid

Nead
Sep Member 2012

Nead

Posts: 20,482 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
In my opinion, that I understand is certainly unique to me, not all items should be tradable through the G.E. I understand that many of the Discontinued Items aren't as there are met thresholds that require spirit shards externally (RS3); but categories of items that are either too obscure or just far too outdated to be worth the time of the Exchange Clerk to manage would essentially revitalize the player-run market outside whatever the G.E. coordinates.

I also understand that yes, the spams and scams taint the experience, as well. Maybe that's just part of the charm, though :P .

- Ornery Onions -
Prioritizing inclusion, friendliness and offering a helping hand to those that need it.

17-Jan-2022 06:59:47 - Last edited on 17-Jan-2022 07:00:10 by Nead

Bruce Waayne
Oct Member 2023

Bruce Waayne

Posts: 4,611 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well i for one if i come back to OSRS will not be using the G.e because of an unnecessary gold stealing fucking tax. Ill look up ppl on forums and trade everything before i have my money stolen because some idiots think we need a gold sink when we dont.
OSRS - Filled with harassers sad...~
- Give me Private Hiscores this should not be public information! - ! REMOVE OSRS TAX !

25-Jan-2022 00:28:58

Dangermouth
Sep Member 2018

Dangermouth

Posts: 2,427 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm pre-GE. It's why I'm mostly a DIY-er: I could never find people in all the spam in Seers even if I added them and it always seemed the way that you could get what you wanted if you worked, so I did.

I don't dislike the GE or the tax, however. I have said I think the taxation system needs to be tweaked as it's not the case that there isn't essentially an endless supply of GP via in-game methods, it just means it can take a lot longer to get the cash and then it's a case of which wins: the static figure for the good or the speed of the chaser/purchaser. Some things e.g. Torva would be impossible for me to get on my own so I would happily buy them. In about 300 years' time when I could afford them but I play to enjoy myself, not be rich.

26-Jan-2022 21:50:23

Extreme23

Extreme23

Posts: 3 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It was exciting in a way that only RS could provide before the GE. Behind the bank, in Varrock, was like being on the floor of the stock exchange and it was the best. Now, sure the GE has made everything more convenient but RS is just like any other garbage MMO now. The dynamic after the GE was added was killed off in literally like a day. It went from being energetic and alive being filled with possibilities to let's just go buy stuff from that stall and never talk to anyone again. And if you think there's a lot of interaction now. It's absolutely nothing compared with what it was like before the GE. A lot of the fun for me in that game was trying to get rich buy buying and selling stuff. like buying small amounts of coal in fally until I had enough to sell in bulk for slightly more in Varrock world 1. That is completely gone. It's similar to the early days of the internet where things felt like the wild rest and people kind of collectively made up the rules and thats what made that game so interesting. That time is loooong over. There's a billion other copies of what RS is like now and you can go play any of them and get the same experience. It sucks it happened to this game.

22-Jul-2022 01:09:00

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dilbert2001 said :
"We’d still prefer not to push players back to the dark days of spamming ‘wave2: buying raw lobs 200 each’ outside every Bank in Gielinor."
The OSRS Team, PJ Timer Beta & Chat Changes, 01 December 2021

GE is not going away.

Not like ppl ever believed it would anyways.

I mean it would cause such a massive outrage that it wouldnt be worth it.

So im sure jagex doesnt want another eoc type of fiasco on their hands.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

22-Jul-2022 02:39:23 - Last edited on 22-Jul-2022 11:48:19 by Draco Burnz

Quick find code: 317-318-690-66150915 Back to Top