Forums

Is OSRS dying?

Quick find code: 317-318-653-66212520

Hxxked

Hxxked

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Would you say the Osrs community is dying? I’ve got about 70-80 in nearly every skill and have had my mind on the 99 grinds. But not if jagex pulls the server in like a year. It would be a shame, IMO this is the best form of RuneScape currently.

21-Apr-2021 08:56:50

daedlus58

daedlus58

Posts: 1,530 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hxxked said :
Would you say the Osrs community is dying? I’ve got about 70-80 in nearly every skill and have had my mind on the 99 grinds. But not if jagex pulls the server in like a year. It would be a shame, IMO this is the best form of RuneScape currently.
Yea, osrs will die. You will die. I will die. But not today or even in the near future. Good luck getting your 99's in the time frame you want.

21-Apr-2021 10:57:12 - Last edited on 21-Apr-2021 10:57:50 by daedlus58

Teridax
Aug Member 2023

Teridax

Posts: 3,499 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Even with a diminished player base RS is far from fucking dying LOL I mean you got at least 60k players online ALL times, meanwhile in games like METAL GEAR SURVIVE it's so dead you are lucky you even find another player to play with maybe like 50 people at most play that game at one time and that's being generous...

21-Apr-2021 15:27:03

Applejuiceaj
Nov
fmod Member

Applejuiceaj

Forum Moderator Posts: 44,957 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Given there are quite a few positions that Jagex is hiring for to expand the Old School team on their Careers website, I highly doubt Old School would be closing any time soon.

Good luck on your goals if you choose to go for some 99s - its a grind, but can be great fun too.

21-Apr-2021 17:00:43

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,201 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The market for classic MMORPGs is dying or may be close to dead, but it doesn't mean OSRS will shut down like RSC any time soon.

I am cautiously optimistic OSRS won't shut down this year, and in the longer run it will be up to if OSRS can make the adjustments to survive. As long as OSRS can give Jagex a reasonable return on their investments comparing to the video game industry, it will live longer. Adjustments can take many forms though, such as more monetisation, downsizing the game or OSRS can survive through reproduction.

21-Apr-2021 17:16:54

CapitalPain
May Member 2023

CapitalPain

Posts: 1,354 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dilbert2001 said :
The market for classic MMORPGs is dying or may be close to dead, but it doesn't mean OSRS will shut down like RSC any time soon.

I am cautiously optimistic OSRS won't shut down this year, and in the longer run it will be up to if OSRS can make the adjustments to survive. As long as OSRS can give Jagex a reasonable return on their investments comparing to the video game industry, it will live longer. Adjustments can take many forms though, such as more monetisation, downsizing the game or OSRS can survive through reproduction.

they just need something to keep end gamers involved. New players have the whole game to experience plus all the extras

21-Apr-2021 17:45:48

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,201 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CapitalPain said :
Dilbert2001 said :

they just need something to keep end gamers involved. New players have the whole game to experience plus all the extras

They will first need to attract and then retain the new players, but I don't see any sign OSRS is prevailing on this front despite of months of consistent advertising running from October of last year to early March of this year.

There are over 9000 whole games for new players to experience. Evidently the new players aren't choosing the classic MMORPGs, and even if some of them still pick classic MMORPGs, I have no doubt they still go for the like of WoW Classic and older iterations of Final Fantasy because they can experience the much better richer endgame content much faster than OSRS.

21-Apr-2021 18:05:46

Quick find code: 317-318-653-66212520 Back to Top