Forums

Is OSRS dying?

Quick find code: 317-318-653-66212520

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,201 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Colm1749 said :
Yeah, that's a lot less people playing than even just a year ago.
Losing 20-40% in a year is not good.

Especially when you consider that full time (human) gold farmers have been on the rise and that a lot of those 60-80K are bots.

Will they shut it down? Yeah, eventually, But not until it stops turning a profit.

But is it dying? It sure isn't growing or staying the same,
It sure isn't more fun to play than it use to be
It sure isn't being maintained and kept authentic.

I mean... what would you call that if it were a houseplant?

I'm really glad I saw this before I put any more time into my account or talking about fixing things on the forum.

But hey, it was fun while it lasted. As usual, people who have other priorities get the shaft and never get to live their dreams in game, but I figure that will pay off IRL in the long run.

Maybe we can make a revamp in 20 years when the copywrites expire.

Plenty of games are losing a lot of players. The difference is the fit to survive ones thrive on admitting the fact and make amends accordingly to catch up, while the losers only care to pretend they are better than most and only do impractical flashy things that bring no, or even negative, results.

We'll see how OSRS turns out in a few more months. :)

19-Oct-2021 05:14:41

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

OSRS may not be dying but today Jagex's announcement of its publishing agreement with Melvor Idle should give us a preview of how OSRS is becoming.

OSRS spawns are happening in the forms of new retro versions of RSC/RS2.

The more interesting thing is the OSRS team is already advertising Melvor Idle in today's OSRS Weekly Livestream. OSRS lovers are going to have many RSC/RS2 themed siblings titles alongside OSRS to choose from very soon. :)

21-Oct-2021 18:15:41

Teff112

Teff112

Posts: 77 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well I did mean the whole game in general. As probably most of current Old School players played it back then.

I did think here yesterday that it's amazing that this test of a product has already gone for 8 years, that's amazing. It really shows the dedication of the fans to the game. I'm going to have to be honest here and say that the darker fantasy is more to my liking than butterfly wings and particle effects.
The Grumpy Estonian

22-Oct-2021 14:37:34 - Last edited on 22-Oct-2021 16:59:26 by Teff112

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Teff112 said :
Well I did mean the whole game in general. As probably most of current Old School players played it back then.

I did think here yesterday that it's amazing that this test of a product has already gone for 8 years, that's amazing. It really shows the dedication of the fans to the game. I'm going to have to be honest here and say that the darker fantasy is more to my liking that butterfly wings and particle effects.

I am not quite sure what you mean by the "whole game". If you mean Runescape or most veteran players call it RS3, it is a totally different game than OSRS and it is actually gaining players in more than half the months on a year-to-year basis since OP, despite of the demise in OSRS.

RS3 is certainly not dying and I can see it going and going and going for at least another 10 years because it has all kinds of tools to survive such as more ways of monetization, very low marketing cost, far more adaptable to changes, rock solid permanent content built from the solid foundation the last 12 years, and not handcuffed by polling and reactionaries, as well as the experience of the crews in both RS3 and the video game industry.

22-Oct-2021 15:46:35 - Last edited on 22-Oct-2021 16:18:42 by Dilbert2001

Teff112

Teff112

With whole game I meant both RS3 and OSRS.

You are right in saying that Runescape 3 has more tools for a company to survive and a game to still recieve updates. I myself got kind of worried about that when they first released bonds that it might be difficult on the company but it doesn't seem any difference is made as membership has been paid anyway by a person who bought a bond and there are only so many of them on the GE as people sell them.

I do have to say that I'm not familiar with the statistics on which game is recieving players and which is losing.

I don't think that calling polling handcuffing the developers is a correct way to envision it. We all saw what happened to the game when big decisions were made without player input but then again - they were very big changes. But still the game is being developed by a quite a large company and that's what people seem to forget that there are so many people working behind the game and it has been growing ever since they formed into a company. Me as an investor myself I do realise the importance of the growth of the company. Many famous business people have said before that if a company isn't growing, then it's failing. Understanding on why the monetization effort needs to be grown is understandable, but trying to figure it out in a way that not all people have to pay more for membership is a difficult task as that in of it self will drive people away.

I hope that Old School will be alive for many more years and if it does eventually close down I guess I'll continue with the main game. Once you play Runescape - you'll never be able to quit it.
The Grumpy Estonian

22-Oct-2021 17:02:52

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Teff112 said :
With whole game I meant both RS3 and OSRS.

You are right in saying that Runescape 3 has more tools for a company to survive and a game to still recieve updates. I myself got kind of worried about that when they first released bonds that it might be difficult on the company but it doesn't seem any difference is made as membership has been paid anyway by a person who bought a bond and there are only so many of them on the GE as people sell them.

I do have to say that I'm not familiar with the statistics on which game is recieving players and which is losing.

I don't think that calling polling handcuffing the developers is a correct way to envision it. We all saw what happened to the game when big decisions were made without player input but then again - they were very big changes. But still the game is being developed by a quite a large company and that's what people seem to forget that there are so many people working behind the game and it has been growing ever since they formed into a company. Me as an investor myself I do realise the importance of the growth of the company. Many famous business people have said before that if a company isn't growing, then it's failing. Understanding on why the monetization effort needs to be grown is understandable, but trying to figure it out in a way that not all people have to pay more for membership is a difficult task as that in of it self will drive people away.

I hope that Old School will be alive for many more years and if it does eventually close down I guess I'll continue with the main game. Once you play Runescape - you'll never be able to quit it.

RS3 and OSRS are definitely not the same game. If OSRS dies, I think some may play RS3 but not all of them.

Membership is hardly the only way to make a business profitable nowadays. It is also a key reason why OSRS is so vulnerable to dying than most other games.

22-Oct-2021 18:54:15

Teff112

Teff112

Yes well you repeated all my points :D As I said, trying to maintain the game with just membership with that large of a team and game development is not going to cut it. That's why instead of raising membership prices to 20€, they make it possible for people, who are interested, to buy stuff like cosmetics, that do not affect your progression in the game.

Of course the Treasure Keys are a different sort of system. Though I'm not sure how many items there are highly valuable. I once won a lucky zamorakian spear I think it was called. I still have it as a main weapon as I don't play RS3 that often.

And yes I know they are two different games, I've played both.
The Grumpy Estonian

22-Oct-2021 22:46:22

Quick find code: 317-318-653-66212520 Back to Top