Forums

Content Poll - Prestige

Quick find code: 294-295-289-65183445

Miko Kisai

Miko Kisai

Posts: 44 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This is a tough one.

I am myself a mid-level player, and I don't see myself ever using a prestige system in RuneScape. However, that doesn't mean I can't see the possible attractiveness in having such a system available.

The question therefore is "how will this affect me", and that is primarily - if not exclusively - going to be reflected in the economy.

There's no doubt that a prestige system, assuming anyone uses it, will have an effect on prices. If more players are playing low and mid-level content, it stands to reason that demand for those items will go up, meaning the price will go up. However, since at least some of those items are also generated by the same content, supply of those items should increase correspondingly, which makes the price go down.

Higher prices are not necessarily a bad thing. Yes, buying stuff is going to be more expensive, but you also get more when selling stuff. This would incentivize people to engage more in production, which in turn would increase supply, bringing prices down again. It would take some time to stabilize, but the overall effect on the market should be beneficial to everyone.

It would be much worse if supply picks up, but demand doesn't. This causes prices to go down, and that is likely to hurt the economy far more than a temporary rise in prices. This does not seem particularly likely for low- and mid-level items, but it might happen for high-level items, if too many people reset their skills - but that doesn't seem too likely either.

I've tried to imagine a scenario where the long-term economy ends up worse from Prestige, but the only thing that comes to mind would be if too many people quit before allowing the effects to show themselves.

For that reason, I'm going to vote YES to the idea. The system might need some reworking before high-level players find it interesting, but if they don't, then that just means they won't use it - and the economy will remain unaffected.

17-Oct-2013 13:33:03

Arx
Sep Member 2006

Arx

Posts: 697 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
99FISHORDIE said :
Papa1 said :
why not just raise the max experience from 200 million to 1 billion. that way if a person who is maxed isn't replaced by someone with far less experience by a person who started over.

I agree, why not just fix it this way? Or even have unlimited experience (no cap)?

Guys, this is probably due to Java's memory limit. Have you ever wondered why there is a limit on gold? It's like 2.17 billion or something like that? Well if you consider the fact that they probably have .00 in the number for times when you earn a quarter or half an experience (you don't see it, but it does happen) then they probably have nearly reached their limit in Java's memory per float.

Just an educated guess..
With great hopes and high ambitions,
Arx
the Billionaire
, leader of
Citadel

@RSArx

17-Oct-2013 13:42:26

Mr RobinHood

Mr RobinHood

Posts: 2,615 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Prestige was a great idea- it was content aimed at the minority of players *those who chase ranks* That would also have a positive effect on the economy and bringing life to old content. Yet the problem with voting was........

1. A majority of the players will never chase ranks and thus will vote no
2. Those with High ranks will also vote no, because they will feel their XP was a waste

That's an awful small window of people to vote yes? How are you going to implement a system to fix the high scores that all players will vote for?

- Your prestige system was a great way to fix the current problems while adding benefits to those who don't participate in chasing ranks, as well as only giving COSMETIC benefits to those who chase ranks. but it's not often people will vote against their interest.

- Having a vote was silly
\\ \\ \\_________|`›¸ ............Sir.RôbiñHôôd ......... ¸‹´|_______// // //
// // //¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|¸‹´ ......200 Mîll Räñgé XP ....... `›¸|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\\ \\ \\

17-Oct-2013 13:45:07 - Last edited on 17-Oct-2013 13:45:36 by Mr RobinHood

N0dough

N0dough

Posts: 333 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mod Crow said :
Alexander V said :
Many thanks for the opportunity to allow us to vote. I voted 'no' simply because I have invested so much of my time already into this game, and don't have the time to do it all over again.

The aim of Prestige was to make it entirely optional as to whether you choose to do it again and also give you the option to just 'switch back' to your stats if you got tired of re-leveling them. You wouldn't have been forced into doing it or locked into training again if you chose to do so.

Unfortunately, this update WOULD affect the game if it were implemented. It would replace the old high scores with a new one that basically pushed the old scores under the rug. This reason is why i chose no.

17-Oct-2013 13:46:28

El Facil

El Facil

Posts: 377 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
N0dough said :
Mod Crow said :
Alexander V said :
Many thanks for the opportunity to allow us to vote. I voted 'no' simply because I have invested so much of my time already into this game, and don't have the time to do it all over again.

The aim of Prestige was to make it entirely optional as to whether you choose to do it again and also give you the option to just 'switch back' to your stats if you got tired of re-leveling them. You wouldn't have been forced into doing it or locked into training again if you chose to do so.

Unfortunately, this update WOULD affect the game if it were implemented. It would replace the old high scores with a new one that basically pushed the old scores under the rug. This reason is why i chose no.

But it won't, there will be two hiscores.

17-Oct-2013 13:49:27 - Last edited on 17-Oct-2013 13:49:52 by El Facil

Vexx072
Dec Member 2007

Vexx072

Posts: 62 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If the prestige system was really aimed at the majority of high lvl players as you so claim I'm almost certain that the majority of us high lvl players would much rather prefer skill lvls increased from 99 to 120. Yea, you say that increasing skill lvl caps would take a lot of time but doesn't everything that comes out great take a lot of time too? Even if it would take a year at the drawing board I would still be for 120 lvls.

17-Oct-2013 13:53:15

Quick find code: 294-295-289-65183445 Back to Top